More 3D from the BBC

Ezra Pound

Following the Wimbledon 3D coverage in June this year, I see the BBC are transmitting Strictly Come Dancing Final in 3D (19:00 BBC-HD channel Sat 17 Dec 2011). I noticed that in preperation for this event that they are transmitting in 1920 X 1080 as opposed to the usual 1440 X 1080 on BBC-HD, I wonder if they will leave it turned on this time?

The preview loop has been running some 3D stuff the last few days, but all that my non-3D TV shows is a vertical line in the middle, with a squashed image on either side.:rolleyes:

The preview loop has been running some 3D stuff the last few days, but all that my non-3D TV shows is a vertical line in the middle, with a squashed image on either side.:rolleyes:

That's how all 3d broadcasts look like on an ordinary TV. Two 960 x 1080 frames side by side. 3D TV's resize them to 16:9.

What would you rather have? An illusion of depth on a 2D surface, or twice the (horizontal) resolution??

I'll take High Res 2D any day of the week. It's great when the screen completely fills the field of vision you get through the glasses (i.e. at the cinema) but given that at best most TV's at home will only fill a small portion of the overall view through the glasses (put any pair on and see for yourself) then what you get is a lot of wall with some 3D in the middle - I can accept that might still appeal to some people, but not for me!

Besides I'm hoping to get my eyes lasered next year - I can't stand the thought of finally having clear vision unaided and still needing to wear bloody glasses to watch the telly!!!

I have recently purchased a Samsung UE6530 55" 3D LED TV and the 2D picture on it is stunning, it seems to give a real feel of depth to the picture on some scenes which make it appear 3D. I have tried some 3D via the smart hub and while its OK, wearing the glasses make the screen seem smaller, so they have gone back in the drawer :D

Just for info - I tried recording the 3D BBC broadcast on a HDR-Fox T2 and copying it to a USB drive (after decrypting)
It played perfectly on an LG 3D TV off the USB drive. i.e. no problem recording/playback elsewhere of the 3D at all.

There was some more 3D transmitted on BBC HD last night 'Street Dance 3D' Not sure if any more is planned, We will have to look out for the 1920X1080 to 1440X1080 switch I suppose

Back