Moving from Toppy 5800 to HDR-FOX T2?

FuzzyDunlop

I've owned a Toppy 5800 for the last five years and I'm considering upgrading to an HDR-FOX T2. The Toppy (with MyStuff Tap) has been fantastic and I'll be really sad to see it go but it's time to upgrade to an HD PVR. I had really high hopes for YouView and while I'd like the integrated catch-up services there are just too many missing features, compromises and other niggles for YouView to be an option at the moment.

That leaves the HDR-FOX T2 which looks like an excellent PVR but I'm wondering if there's anyone else on here that has made the leap from a Toppy to HDR-FOX T2 and if so is there anything in particular that you miss from the Toppy?

Also what does the future hold for Humax and the HDR-FOX T2? Can we expect any development on the TV Portal - 4OD, iTV player etc - or perhaps a completely new Humax PVR to replace the HDR-FOX T2, or is that completely off the agenda now that Humax are producing the YouView boxes?

On your third paragraph, your crystal ball is as good as anybody else's with regard to future Humax products. The catch-up services are not in general compatible with the HD/HDR-FOX hardware codecs, things on the web shifted in a different direction and only the BBC made their service available in MP4 (although if you have a Sky account it is also possible to access Sky catch-up through the custom software). It seems unlikely anyone else will provide a service now.

As far as moving on from Topfield is concerned, there are members here who still operate Topfields for StDef and Humax for HiDef. You might like to read the recent topic HERE (click), and there are several others you will find by looking through the forum listing or putting "topfield" in the search box.

I moved from the Toppy & don't miss much, especially with the custom firmware + packages that are available. I think the only thing that's missing is how you could record programs in MyStuff by specifying keywords, time ranges, and channels. But that's a minor thing, and I find series linking works pretty well on the HDR-Fox T2.

I still run my Toppy for radio recordings and for flagging up showings of programmes like Emergency Bikers which tend to wander at random round the schedules as well as for making backup recordings of live sport with automatic extra long padding for those all too often times they get chopped off if you rely on the Accurate Recording flags.

I think the only thing that's missing is how you could record programs in MyStuff by specifying keywords, time ranges, and channels.
and if you're prepared to link your box up to the Remote Scheduling portal then you can do that too.

and if you're prepared to link your box up to the Remote Scheduling portal then you can do that too.

Thanks that's good to know, if I get a Humax I will definitely be installing custom firmware. On the Toppy I have keyword searches set-up for Tottenham and Spurs so I don't have to set individual timers for FA Cup or UEFA cup matches. Would it be possible to do that on the Humax using Remote Scheduling Portal?

I still run my Toppy for radio recordings and for flagging up showings of programmes like Emergency Bikers which tend to wander at random round the schedules as well as for making backup recordings of live sport with automatic extra long padding for those all too often times they get chopped off if you rely on the Accurate Recording flags.

Yes I think I might keep my Toppy and run both, at least for the time being.

On the Toppy I have keyword searches set-up for Tottenham and Spurs so I don't have to set individual timers for FA Cup or UEFA cup matches. Would it be possible to do that on the Humax using Remote Scheduling Portal?

Yes, there are some examples of Remote Scheduling Keyword searches HERE

I still run both and almost exclusively use the Toppy for SD purely because I find the EPG and browsing through channels and within channels so much easier than the Humax - it's just so quick and convenient. It's about the only thing in my opinion that is still way ahead of the Humax and probably much of the competition. Other than that the humax is a good PVR and with the custom firmware and packages is an amazing PVR.

You only have to spend a bit of time in this forum to see how all those that help develop the custom fw and packages come up with solutions, if possible, to peoples requests and problems in hardly any time at all. The best service you could ever ask for.

Back