MP3 (layer 3) auto extract

MymsMan seems to be saying that full MP3 extraction from a radio recording is slower than ditto from a TV recording. I can't say I've noticed, but I can't say I've looked either.
Yes, Full mp3 extraction from a 15 minute SD TV programme took 90 seconds, but from a 25 minute Radio 1 programme it took 90 minutes :-(

DetectAds uses the mp3 track for silence detection so chaserun processing wouldn't be feasible if extraction were slower than real time

That cannot be right. I suggest the TV extraction was only pseudo-MP3 (ie MP2), good enough for detectads and many media players but it wouldn't be good enough for my car audio.

All of this was discussed on that thread I referenced. The consensus then was the Humax doesn't have enough horsepower to do the full MP3 processing that's why it's left defaulted to produce an MP3 file with MP2 inside it which some players can handle. I thought I was getting forgetfull. For radio you might just as well use said "get" software which has its many supporters round here. That does allow you to transcode to MP3 if required.

I use the tsMuxeR utility on my laptop to extract the native .mpa audio track from my PVR radio recordings then copy to my PMP (Sansa Clip+). Takes a few seconds per three hour programme as there is no conversion taking place and so no loss of quality from the broadcast stream.

1) Copy recordings from PVR to laptop;

2) Run tsMuxer to extract .mpa audio;

3) Run the Renamer utility to automatically change the filenames to something short and snappy;

4) Copy .mpa files to my PMP.

Last edited:
Sure that one doesn't just clean up the transport layer stream but still delivers the MP2 stream inside without recoding to proper MP3. We don't talk about skinning cats in this household. The basic problem is if the chipset in your device is a bit old they can be more strict about what you ask them to decode. I suspect your Sansa Clip+ is not phased by having MP2 audio in an MP3 file with that extension.

For information: on 17/02/2020 I queued all 79 of my Friday Night Is Music Night collection for conversion to MP3. Today (17/03/2020), the last one is being processed.

Each is a 2h recording, approx 220MB, and produces a 115MB MP3 taking 8.5-10h. Of course, the respective HDR-FOX has also been doing other things in the mean time.

Yes, Full mp3 extraction from a 15 minute SD TV programme took 90 seconds, but from a 25 minute Radio 1 programme it took 90 minutes :-(
Now I have extracted MP3 from Beethoven's 9th on the 2012 Proms, a 74-minute BBC2 StDef recording occupying 1.7GB (!). The result is a 68MB MP3. The completed entry in the queue reports a 5h48m run time.

Compared with the figures in my previous post, I suggest that indicates a similar conversion rate to radio recordings. MymsMan's figure suggests an MP2 extraction only, no conversion to MP3.

Back