Mum says recordings are failing, rs says not, help?

Even with a 55" TV I am unable to discern a difference in picture quality between SD and HD so I normally use SD for all recordings which has the added benefit of not filling up my 500GB drive so fast and less pixellation issues

Back to the OP remember that the RS only reports on orphaned hmt files which are usually, but not always, Failure to track errors.
In addition to user forgetfulness failure to be record can be caused by RS occasionally seeming to lose requests and sometimes the broadcaster does not use the correct series crid for an episode.

Even with a 55" TV I am unable to discern a difference in picture quality between SD and HD
Shoulda gone to Specsavers!

Seriously, the mosquito noise is hugely different on SD and HD, as is the detail level on most things e.g. people's hair.
If you can't see that, you really ought to see an optician.

They do have a vaguely valid reason for watching SD by the way. They like to watch the BBC1 regional news, and find swapping from HD to SD to watch it more trouble than it is worth. I do agree with them on that, the BBC should pull their finger out (given proper funding) and get regional news on HD.

The answer to that is to use the renumber package and have BBC1 HD set as channel 1, and BBC1 SD as channel 1001. Then, assuming 1001 is the highest numbered channel, when you want to switch it’s simply a one button push of channel down or up depending which way you're going. I’m sure that’s not more trouble than it’s worth!

I can’t see the BBC introducing regional news in HD in the foreseeable future. They haven’t done so far in all these years, and some would say that the cost probably outweighs the benefits given the current licence fee squeezes. It's mainly news reports after all - hardly material that benefits as much from HD compared to ‘Blue Planet’ type material.

I can’t see the BBC introducing regional news in HD in the foreseeable future. They haven’t done so far in all these years, and some would say that the cost probably outweighs the benefits given the current licence fee squeezes. It's mainly news reports after all - hardly material that benefits as much from HD compared to ‘Blue Planet’ type material.

Seeing as they can't even afford to have the like of BBC4 HD working nationwide due to government cuts, I can't see them extending other services.

Even with a 55" TV I am unable to discern a difference in picture quality between SD and HD

I used to work as a broadcast engineer and believe me some are unable to see defects in a picture unless its pointed out to them, on the other hand sometimes its best not to, as some are happier not to know.

HD vs SD is not just about resolution and TV setup does impact perceived quality. A TV screen has a 'native resolution' and manufacturer's have to develop processing to to translate a source to that of the screen, some are better at that than others meaning with good processing (eg Pioneer) SD will still look good against HD but done badly there are big perceived differences.

PS some say minimum size to appreciate 4K is 55"

:frantic:

Guess where I've been today. Just as Corrie was about to start recording, the "disk full" message popped up (completely ignored). "You've not been deleting your backlog of recordings, they're going back to last August." "I do cancel (sic) them, but I told you they keep coming back." They don't keep coming back, it's just that there are more to delete.

Of course, I use flatten so there are no folders to deal with (or shouldn't be - but I have Deleted Items confusing the issue, and failed recordings / orphaned files stop series folders auto-deleting - some kind of force-delete would be handy), but if the series recordings remained in folders I could set auto-expire, so I guess I'll be having a crack at using sweeper to auto-delete specific series recordings that are more than a few days old.

Back to the OP remember that the RS only reports on orphaned hmt files which are usually, but not always, Failure to track errors.
In addition to user forgetfulness failure to be record can be caused by RS occasionally seeming to lose requests and sometimes the broadcaster does not use the correct series crid for an episode.

No I did not know that RS only reports on orphaned hmt files. OK that changes things a lot, for example if the series recording folder can't be created or all files fail to create due to hard disc errors then there won't be an orphaned hmt file for RS to report about.

We're not actually using RS to schedule these recordings. I'm using RS as a poor man's remote admin tool. I use it to watch their disc doesn't get too full among other things.

I'm starting to think not user forgetfullness but simply user error. Mum says adding the series recordings as HD recordings fixed it, but this makes no sense as their live reception of all muxes is fine. Also she swears blind that she didn't delete the SD series recordings in the schedule, but RS says none of them are there.

My first PC exhibited the same behaviour. Switch it off and the cmos or bios became very flakey and required a lot of swearing to coax it into working. Left it on and it behaved itself.

Probably the backup battery for the BIOS settings was nearly flat. Modern PCs don't use a battery for this.

I've just been treated to the difference between StDef and HiDef on a 55" screen - it's way more pronounced than on 32".

Reactions: aw1
I've just been treated to the difference between StDef and HiDef on a 55" screen - it's way more pronounced than on 32".
Duh?

We had a 50" 'half' HD (~1400x800) plasma for many years which still showed the difference between SD and HD very clearly. It died last year and we now have a 65" 4k OLED set which can produce very fine detail. So watching SD is not great now, especially some of the minor channels which seem to mangle it even more (that may in part be the age of some of the programmes). In fact I don't generally bother to record/watch films that aren't in HD.
One thing that is very clear with this set is the bokeh in some programmes. The focal subjects really stand out.

Duh?

We had a 50" 'half' HD (~1400x800) plasma for many years which still showed the difference between SD and HD very clearly. It died last year and we now have a 65" 4k OLED set which can produce very fine detail. So watching SD is not great now, especially some of the minor channels which seem to mangle it even more (that may in part be the age of some of the programmes). In fact I don't generally bother to record/watch films that aren't in HD.
One thing that is very clear with this set is the bokeh in some programmes. The focal subjects really stand out.
you don't have the truemotion or such like turned on by default. that really weirds one out watching films .

you don't have the truemotion or such like turned on by default. that really weirds one out watching films .
No. I saw some news items about that a while back and checked if it was turned on by default but it wasn't. I left it off. All I've really done is tweak the colours to be more natural because, like most, it came with about a dozen presets which all looked wrong.

Phone call today:-

Supported user: "All it says is 'upper folder' - what do I do?"

BH: "What do you want to do?"

SU: "Get back to my programmes"

BH: "Press 'OK'"

SU: "The one in the middle?"

BH: "Yes"

SU: "Now it says Deleted Items, nothing else"

BH: "What have you been doing?"

SU: "You were getting at me about it the other day ['cos she'd filled up the disk]... I've cancelled off programmes I've already watched"

BH: "And there are none left?"

SU: "No"

BH: "Have you deleted anything you didn't mean to?"

SU: "No"

BH: "I don't understand what the problem is"

SU: "I've been trying for ages but I can't get back to my programmes"

BH: "What programmes?"

SU: "TV programmes"

BH: (finally clicks) "You got where you are by pressing Media - press Media again or use the magic button marked Exit."

SU: "Oh. OK. I've never done that before"

BH: "You've been doing that for years. If all else fails, turn it off, wait a few minutes, and turn it on again."

:sleep:

My mum said it's all working fine now the recordings have been changed to HD, she says that obviously fixed it. Yeah right... Their DVB-T2 reception is slightly less reliable than DVB-T, especially in very windy weather. They are in a valley and receiving Emley Moor as a reflection from the opposite side of the valley, they have no direct line of sight. My assumption is the trees waving about somehow upset DVB-T2 more than DVB-T but it's a total guess. They should be using the Holmfirth repeater, but the missing muxes have channels my dad watches.

Mum also said that Revenant wouldn't delete from the disc. I scheduled a deletion in RS yeterday and today it has gone just as expected, and no errors in the RS log.

Now my mum isn't as difficult as Black Hole's supported user sounds. She knows what button she's pressing, she just describes things strangely. I am convinced that something was wrong, I just have no clue what at the moment and probably never will unless it comes back.

One problem both my parents and my aunt have is some of the buttons on the remote are getting difficult to press. I assume the places in the remote that they press on needs cleaning, but the remote seems so hard to take apart I've never dared. Strangely my remotes are older and completely fine. I don't know what they do to them (furniture polish is a possibility).

Back