My Samsung Smart TV's can't 'see' recordings on HDR-2000T

JohnDX

As 'subject'.

I bought this to-day on the understanding it'll share content via my network.

I've set 'Content Share' to 'on', and whilst I can see the HDR-2000T on my PC as a Media Device neither of my Samsung 5500 series TV's see it, although they both see other connected devices including a Synology NAS.

My understanding is that the HDR-2000T is able to share media including tv recordings via a (home) network, albeit only SD recordings.

Help please!

Yes, the HDR-FOX T2 / HDR-2000T can and does share content by DLNA to DLNA-capable client devices, but that does not mean the client device is necessarily able to play the stream format that the HDR provides.

Yes, the HDR-FOX T2 / HDR-2000T can and does share content by DLNA to DLNA-capable client devices, but that does not mean the client device is necessarily able to play the stream format that the HDR provides.

But surely it (the Samsung TV) should still 'see' the HDR-2000T even if subsequently it can't play an incompatible format? At the moment the TV does not show the HDR-2000T at all.

Yes it probably should, but it can take a long time for the DLNA service to be detected.

Meanwhile, this topic (relevant to HDR-FOX, but likely also to apply to HDR-2000T) may be of interest:].

Thanks. Interesting reading. I'm going to try a few different network/device configurations tomorrow, but at the same time take Humax to task over this from their description of the 2000T functionality;

Share your recorded programmes from the HDR-2000T with other compatible devices around the home via your home network.

I guess the key word in the sentence is 'compatible', but I'll wait to see what they say. I would argue that notwithstanding anything Humax might say that there's an issue here that Trading Standards might want to take up. As a layman I would expect any DLNA device to work and that Humax should ensure that recording formats are universal.

"Compatible" is the get-out clause. You won't get any joy there.

As far as recording formats go, the Humax simply dumps the broadcast data stream to disk. It's the fault of the player codecs that they can't cope with the DVB-T data. We have long known that the best streaming client for a Humax is another Humax (the HD-FOX is what a lot of us use), and they will stream HiDef too, but there are other options. Some have pressed XBMC running on a Raspberry Pi into service (handy - the Pi has an HDMI video output).

More info here:

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/cheap-media-streamer-any-suggestions.408/

"Compatible" is the get-out clause. You won't get any joy there.

But having checked, I understand that Humax recordings use the .ts file extension and Samsung TV's can read them, so no excuses. But, I still need the TV to 'see' the 2000T before I get to the point of whether it'll read the .ts files.

But as mentioned in the other discussion, we have yet to hear of a TV client that works.

Well mine does! :) And, I've resolved the problem that started off this thread.

As this might help others, I'll just set out a bit of background.

My home network is focussed on a ZyXel 8-port Gigabit switch connected to my BT Home Hub 3.

The home network connections are either directly out of the switch or via a number of TP-Link Powerline adapters, all AV500 series - 4 x Nano + 1 x TL-PA451 Pass thru'.

No connections come out of the hub, other than the Gigabit link to the ZyXel switch.

Two F5500 series Samsung TV's are connected via Powerline adapters, one 40", the other a 32".

I ran a full set of diagnostics and reconfigurations this morning.

I can go through what I did, but th4 bottom line is I found (a) that the Sammies do not see connected devices via wireless, only wired connections, and (b) the TL-PA451 was somehow blocking a DLNA connection but was allowing normal internet connectivity, insofar as the connected TV could access and stream On-demand services.

Connected both TV's via the Nano's and both could see and play SD recordings made on the DTR-2000T.

Haven't tried HD yet.

Thanks for your help.

We have found that some routers are configured not to pass DLNA "find" traffic (or are not configured to pass it, if you see what I mean). I forgot about that :oops:

We have found that some routers are configured not to pass DLNA "find" traffic (or are not configured to pass it, if you see what I mean). I forgot about that :oops:

Does the same apply to a switch? In any event, as said, it was definitely the Powerline adapter that featured in the problem/resolution, not the switch nor the hub.

Something, somewhere, has to work out which packets it is going to send where. Regard that something as a "router". BT Home Hubs are known to be problematic, even if not involved in this particularly.

But as mentioned in the other discussion, we have yet to hear of a TV client that works.

My Samsung TV will play the T2 .TS recordings, too.

Including the HD ones.

Over WiFi or wired LAN.

And via Powerline.

My TV can see MediaTomb but no files. Presumably if I had an HDR it would play the videos.

Back