1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The forum software that supports hummy.tv will be upgraded on Sunday to XenForo 2.0 and so will be unavailable for periods during the day. This is a major upgrade which changes the look and feel of the forum somewhat but brings a host of improvements too. Please bear with us, there will doubtless be further style changes required following this work.

Network Access Without Using Home Network

Discussion in 'HDR-FOX T2 Freeview Recorder' started by thetrueblue, Apr 28, 2012.

1. thetrueblue

thetrueblue New Member

If this is the wrong place for this, please gimme a good kick, -i'm looking for a good thread for getting started with the Network aspect of my hummy. It's not really convenient to put my box on my house network, but i do have a spare router and laptop can use, so a link to a thread that might help me would be great:) Thanks
  2. Ezra Pound

Ezra Pound Well-Known Member

If you simply want to connect the Humax to a laptop / P.C. you don't even need the router, It is possible to connect the laptop / P.C. directly to the Humax with a LAN cable, you would need to allocate an IP address to both the Laptop / P.C. and the Humax manually say for the Laptop and for the Humax. Humax setting are in Menu >> Settings >> System >> internet settings >> Configure LAN and Laptop / P.C. are in Start >> Setting >> Control Panel >> Network Connections >> LAN >> TPC/IP >> Properties (Can vary depending on operating system). Note :- sub mask =
    thetrueblue likes this.
  3. brianmt

brianmt Member

Also I use a programme called " connectify " which sets your laptop up as a wireless hotspot so you can connect to it directly, providing of course, you have a wireless dongle in your hunmmy
  4. Andrew Benham

Andrew Benham Member

If you connect Hummy to Laptop with a cable, as per Ezra's post, you'll need a cross-over Ethernet cable. [ I presume, I doubt the Hummy or the Laptop will auto-sense the cable ].
  5. Ezra Pound

Ezra Pound Well-Known Member

I am told (having not tried it) that the Humax does auto sence, so a straight cable is O.K.
  6. Black Hole

Black Hole May contain traces of nut

I think you can do it (in Win7 anyway) without any extra software - set up the network as "ad hoc".
  7. Andrew Benham

Andrew Benham Member

I tried this morning, and my Sony Vaio laptop talks just fine to my Humax using a straight cable - but having done some tests with other hardware, I think I've proved that my Vaio does auto-sense on the Ethernet port, so I haven't proved conclusively that the Humax does.