Network Access Without Using Home Network

thetrueblue

If this is the wrong place for this, please gimme a good kick, -i'm looking for a good thread for getting started with the Network aspect of my hummy. It's not really convenient to put my box on my house network, but i do have a spare router and laptop can use, so a link to a thread that might help me would be great:) Thanks

thetrublue : getting started with the Network aspect of my hummy
If you simply want to connect the Humax to a laptop / P.C. you don't even need the router, It is possible to connect the laptop / P.C. directly to the Humax with a LAN cable, you would need to allocate an IP address to both the Laptop / P.C. and the Humax manually say 192.168.1.1 for the Laptop and 192.168.1.2 for the Humax. Humax setting are in Menu >> Settings >> System >> internet settings >> Configure LAN and Laptop / P.C. are in Start >> Setting >> Control Panel >> Network Connections >> LAN >> TPC/IP >> Properties (Can vary depending on operating system). Note :- sub mask = 255.255.255.0

Also I use a programme called " connectify " which sets your laptop up as a wireless hotspot so you can connect to it directly, providing of course, you have a wireless dongle in your hunmmy

If you connect Hummy to Laptop with a cable, as per Ezra's post, you'll need a cross-over Ethernet cable. [ I presume, I doubt the Hummy or the Laptop will auto-sense the cable ].

Also I use a programme called " connectify " which sets your laptop up as a wireless hotspot so you can connect to it directly, providing of course, you have a wireless dongle in your hunmmy

I think you can do it (in Win7 anyway) without any extra software - set up the network as "ad hoc".

I am told (having not tried it) that the Humax does auto sence, so a straight cable is O.K.
I tried this morning, and my Sony Vaio laptop talks just fine to my Humax using a straight cable - but having done some tests with other hardware, I think I've proved that my Vaio does auto-sense on the Ethernet port, so I haven't proved conclusively that the Humax does.

Back