Network enabled Hummy?

Wibs

Is there any model of Humax that provides its stream over an ethernet port or wireless network link?

My satellite setup is in the lounge, and my PC is in a bedroom converted to an office, and I would love to watch the stream on the PC, via my router's wireless home network.

Can it be done?

Wibs

Do you mean a live stream, or streamed playback of recordings? If the former, no - take a look at tvcatchup.com as an alternative.

Is there any model of Humax that provides its stream over an ethernet port or wireless network link?

My satellite setup is in the lounge, and my PC is in a bedroom converted to an office, and I would love to watch the stream on the PC, via my router's wireless home network.

Can it be done?

Wibs

Yes, just tried it on the Foxsat HDR. The steps are:

Remove Twonky and install Mediatomb on your Foxsat HDR
In the web interface, find the new Mediatomb plugin and make sure the Video folder is being scanned. You should see 0.ts in there.

You now need a player. I use MX Player on Android and point it at the stream:

http://192.168.0.51/media/Video/0.ts

Substitute the IP address of your Foxsat HDR.

One alternative is to install UPnP by bebopfreak, and use that to find the streams that Mediatomb supplies. (If I use Twonky, I just see an expired license message.) You will then need to pass the stream to an Android player, MX Player or VPlayer will both play .ts files, I am sure there are more. Or, you can browse and play other recordings.

VLC Media Player will happily play the live stream above on a PC. A channel change seems to reset it to the beginning, and causes playback to freeze. I am finding playback of HD to be choppy, but just had SD playback of Bargain Hunt playing perfectly on my laptop, and only slightly delayed, the delay being the time between my changing to Channel 101 and my starting playback on VLC.

Aha! On the HDR-FOX, 0.ts is encrypted (and, as far as I know, no progress has been made to decrypting it).

One alternative is to install UPnP by bebopfreak, and use that to find the streams that Mediatomb supplies. (If I use Twonky, I just see an expired license message.) You will then need to pass the stream to an Android player, MX Player or VPlayer will both play .ts files, I am sure there are more. Or, you can browse and play other recordings.
Vplayer now has its own UPnP add-on. It also has plugins for graphics acceleration.

Many thanks for the very useful replies.

I think I will have a go at Mike's Mediatomb solution.

I think I have Twonky installed, but having had a PC crash a year ago, and it being replaced by a Windows 7 machine, all my old HDR programs were lost. Can someone point me to a thread for installing Twonky (so I check if it is installed, and can do the reverse and uninstall it) and a resource for step-by-step installation of Mediatomb.

Many thanks

Wibs

OK, installed the Media Bundle for the Foxsat, then installed Mediatomb. I located the media/Video/0.ts stream, and entered the full URL into VLC. However, the stream starts at about 10 minutes prior to the current stream as it appears on my TV. Is there no stream in the Foxsat corresponding to the current live stream as seen on the TV?

Remember that 0.ts buffer starts recording the current programme from when you change channels to that program, so if you start playing it from the start it could be up to 2 hours 'behind' the live TV. As for your question. No. You have to FF 0.ts until it 'catches up'.

Remember that 0.ts buffer starts recording the current programme from when you change channels to that program, so if you start playing it from the start it could be up to 2 hours 'behind' the live TV. As for your question. No. You have to FF 0.ts until it 'catches up'.
Thanks,
Yes, that's what I did.

In case there are any home network experts out there, I have one final problem to solve:

My hummy is in the lounge, but the router is upstairs in the spare bedroom we use as an office, so of course the short ethernet cable we have will not reach. The hummy has no wireless board inside, so an alternative method was needed to connect it to the home network.

I took my laptop (which is wirelessly connected to our home network) and connected the ethernet cable between the hummy and the laptop. I set up connection sharing, and now the hummy is fully accessible. Curiously an IP address of 192.168.0.246 was assigned, when all the other devices on my home network are in the range 192.168.0.(1-9). Perhaps this is a function of connection sharing??

I have also noticed that only the laptop can access the hummy, typing 192.168.0.246 into any other PCs on the home network produced a 'problem loading page' error.

Does anyone know if it IS possible to connect to the hummy (through the laptop) via another PC on the network? The IP address of the laptop is 192.168.0.4 (for reference).

The notebook may have only enabled the connected device to have access to the Internet, and not to allow "external" devices to access it inwards. The notebook is effectively acting as a firewall, and it could be tricky unless you are skilled to override it.

I don't know, but I imagine the Foxsat can use a cheap USB WiFi dongle the same as other Humax devices. Alternatively (and more reliably) there is no difficulty extending your network to the Foxsat's Ethernet port using a pair of HomePlugs or a WiFi to Ethernet adapter.

wibs said:
My hummy is in the lounge, but the router is upstairs in the spare bedroom we use as an office, so of course the short ethernet cable we have will not reach.
You are going to need a longer Ethernet cable. I'll get me coat. Seriously though, it is likely to be the cheapest option if it is practical.

You are going to need a longer Ethernet cable. I'll get me coat. Seriously though, it is likely to be the cheapest option if it is practical.

Drills holes through wall and ceiling, lifts carpet and re-fits, re-decorates lounge to cover channel used by ethernet cable. :disagree:

I have oodles of homeplugs if anyone is interested. If anyone wants to pay p&p they can have them! (200Mbps and 500Mbps) I am running out of space for them.

There is also a TP-Link WiFi extender that has a LAN port so you can use it for this purpose.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA850RE-300Mbps-Universal-Extender/dp/B00AHXXJVW

You pair it to your 2.4GHz router using WPS then move it to its final destination. I use one to get a decent WiFi signal through a wall upstairs, as my router is upstairs too. It boosts the signal by 10--20dB, and retains the nominal 300Mbps speed.

I managed to run a long ethernet cable up through the back of the kitchen cupboards through the floor space and into the back of my wardbrobe for all my upstairs connected needs.

Drills holes through wall and ceiling, lifts carpet and re-fits, re-decorates lounge to cover channel used by ethernet cable. :disagree:

I have oodles of homeplugs if anyone is interested. If anyone wants to pay p&p they can have them! (200Mbps and 500Mbps) I am running out of space for them.

There is also a TP-Link WiFi extender that has a LAN port so you can use it for this purpose.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA850RE-300Mbps-Universal-Extender/dp/B00AHXXJVW

You pair it to your 2.4GHz router using WPS then move it to its final destination. I use one to get a decent WiFi signal through a wall upstairs, as my router is upstairs too. It boosts the signal by 10--20dB, and retains the nominal 300Mbps speed.

I would like some of your 500Mbps homeplugs Mike. Paypal??

I'd be very happy to get a 500Mbps homeplug for Christmas too Mike. Happy to pay P&P

I am only hesitating because I am not sure the spare 500s are functioning correctly and I don't want someone to pay postage for something that is dud. The lights keep going out on them, or the green link light turns red. Funnily enough, I had them on test this morning.

The 200s seem fine though, when I have the energy to weigh and count them and decide which I am keeping I will post under the Hummy Arms. I seem to have about 12 more than I actually use! :confused:

My favourites at the moment are the Netgear AV+ 500 which are rock solid.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0081G3494/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These form a link from my AV stuff to the internet and servers upstairs, but I also occasionally use one or two others. (A TP-Link is plugged into this laptop right now.)

Back