Network - only one box is shown

makem

I have two identical Humax HDR-FOX T2 boxes and only one shows on the network.

I have an identical set of packages on both and the settings are identical. A reboot of Windows 7 has not changed the result.

Any suggestions?

Change the name of at least one of the units (>settings>general settings>hostname).

Edit. If you find that a network share is sometimes not visible in Windows, mapping as a network drive should fix this.

It can take a few minutes for the network shares to show up. Check that the Samba package is set to autostart and is switched on: Web-If> service management.

Edit. I have found that Windows can be a bit flakey with Samba on the Humax: sometimes a Samba share does not show up on a Windows PC but is accessible from an Android device. If your shares don't appear, try rebooting the Humax boxes. If still no joy, force reinstall the Samba package (Web-If>diagnostics): sometimes this makes a missing share reappear.

Yes samba is active. I was aware windows sometimes needs time to think, even after a reboot.

I notice that the on box which does show is named HUMAX. If/when the other box shows I hope it is not called HUMX too.

I did try mapping but as the missing box boes not show in the network I could not map. I have forgotten how to force a map using the ip address but will look into it.

In Web-If, the host name will show up in the top banner, in parentheses. If you have changed the name, the new name will appear there after a page refresh; no reboot required.

After forcing a samba re-install on both boxes they both showed correctly with their hostnames.

The following errors were reported (Not sure of the relevance):

New box:
Collected errors:
* resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /mod/etc/secrets.tdb is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /mod/etc/secrets.tdb-opkg.

Old box:
Collected errors:
* resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /mod/etc/smb.conf is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /mod/etc/smb.conf-opkg.
* resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /mod/etc/secrets.tdb is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /mod/etc/secrets.tdb-opkg.

Sorry, there are two threads running on related topics and I get confused easily :confused:

Join me ;)

EDIT: Many thanks for the solution to both questions.

Further edit: I note that in Media Devices, both boxes show up with identical names:

HDR-FOX T2 Media Server

Nothing to differentiate them but never mind it is not a problem.

You might wish to review the contents of /mod/etc/smb.conf and /mod/etc/smb.conf-opkg and merge the latter into the former if necessary.

You might wish to review the contents of /mod/etc/smb.conf and /mod/etc/smb.conf-opkg and merge the latter into the former if necessary.

"If necessary". Please explain how I may find that is was necessary. If it shows up as required I am happy with that. However, it would be interesting to know more.

Join me ;)

EDIT: Many thanks for the solution to both questions.

Further edit: I note that in Media Devices, both boxes show up with identical names:

HDR-FOX T2 Media Server

Nothing to differentiate them but never mind it is not a problem.
That's what the set-dlnaname package sorts out, as someone has already posted in your other thread.

I installed the set-dlnaname package on the new box and it shows in the installed package list as installed.

I did the same with the old box but it did not appear in the installed list. The entry in the Available list become greyed out and when I return to the list it is still available.

Both boxes no longer appear in the Media Devices list.

EDIT:
One box has shown up after two reboots with the correct host name.

I forced a re-install on the old box and got this error (I forget how to check the CF version):

This package requires Custom Firmware 2.20 or later
Collected errors:
* pkg_run_script: package "dlna-servername" preinst script returned status 1.
* preinst_configure: Aborting installation of dlna-servername.
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package dlna-servername.

"If necessary". Please explain how I may find that is was necessary. If it shows up as required I am happy with that. However, it would be interesting to know more.
Some bugs with the Samba package have been ironed out recently: see here. One of the default shares 'Media' is problematic, hence changes to the Samba configuration files. If you edited the SMB.conf file in the past on your old box, you will find that the some of the shared folders are different to those on the new one. It is straightforward to standardise your configuration; more details are in the quoted thread.

I forced a re-install on the old box and got this error (I forget how to check the CF version):

This package requires Custom Firmware 2.20 or later
Collected errors:
* pkg_run_script: package "dlna-servername" preinst script returned status 1.
* preinst_configure: Aborting installation of dlna-servername.
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package dlna-servername.
Bottom right-hand corner of Web-If, and on the front panel of the box itself when booting-up.

Ah, thank you:

Custom firmware version: 2.18 (build 1707)
Humax Version: 1.02.32

It would be helpful if the error showed up when attempting the install initially.

However, I should keep the CF up-to-date!

Presumably, you modified the original for some reason. Without knowing how or why it is impossible to say whether you need to do anything.
You may however not be benefiting from the new dynamic shares facility the new one gives by retaining the old version. This may or may not bother you. So, like I said, compare the old with the new and work out what's changed and whether it matters e.g. do a 'diff' in a telnet session and post the results:
Code:
humax# diff /mod/etc/smb.conf-opkg /mod/etc/smb.conf

Back