Network server fails playing after 8 mins. every time.

jsrobo

Network server fails playing after 8 mins. every time. I have a Humax in 1 room on a win7 network & a 2nd Humax plus a Samsung tv in another room on the same network. After 8mins the server stops working whilst playing a video on the tv via the 2nd Humax from a video on the 1st Humax. It is necessary to restart the 2nd Humax to get the server to appear on the tv, it will then play for another 8 mins. and then stops. Any ideas anybody.

After 8mins the server stops working whilst playing a video on the tv via the 2nd Humax from a video on the 1st Humax.
Could you clarify how you are serving content; is it DLNA, Samba, NFS or...? How are the two Humax boxes connected to the network; are the hard wired, WiFi, Homeplugs or ...?

all cat5 back to bt5 hub. Using customised software on both Humax's. How do I determine whether DLNA, Samba or NFS or...?

"Network server fails playing..." would seem to be the key in your explanation, but "playing a video on the tv via the 2nd Humax from a video on the 1st Humax" is not exactly clear either.

The setup is as previously described. To play a video from a Humax on the network, but not directly connected to the tv, but all on the network. I do as follows. Switch all 3 on. From tv select the humax with the tv (in same room via hdmi connection), select media, change to network storage, which then shows me the 2nd humax in the other room and its videos, which the first Humax will play for only 8 mins. The reason I'm doing this is that the Samsung tv will not play video format of the Humax, only a Humax will.

From tv select the humax with the tv (in same room via hdmi connection), select media, change to network storage, which then shows me the 2nd humax in the other room and its videos, which the first Humax will play for only 8 mins.
So that will be using the DLNA server which should work. Are the recordings you are playing made on the humax that is acting as server? Have they been manipulated by the custom firmware in any way e.g. advert break removal?

standard recording, no changes. just tried another different video same problem. played by the humax that recorded it yes.

This does not appear to be a CF issue, as the OP is using standard Humax facilities for remote playback (why, when network share is so much better?), in which case this topic should be in the vanilla section.

Skip to paragraph 6: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/network-shares-automount-package-released.1126/

Note that I have no explanation for why your streaming fails (is it really every 8 minutes exactly?), it smells like a problem with your network to me. We have not had any other examples like yours since the very old versions of Humax firmware wouldn't move past the 2GB point in a file (IIRC), but that wouldn't be after only 8 minutes and I can't believe your firmware is that old.

Not exactly 8mins, but always about 8mins, what ever I try. the videos are failing well before 2gb is reached. The network is cat5 wired from bthub5 to laptop, hub to humax 1, hub to humax 2, hub to Samsung tv, all with a fixed ip address. The win7 laptop has Serviio server software running which allows all videos to play on the tv, but the tv won't play Humax video file format, hence the need to get a Humax to play its own videos. Because the tv has an hdmi connection to Humax 1, Humax 1's storage network setting shows me Humax 2 and its video files, which then play for approx. 8mins. Hope you understand my explanation.

I'd be tempted to test with a direct ethernet connection between the 2 humaxes, or an old/borrowed router. If it works beyond the 8 minutes then it's a problem specific to your network

Because it could be the BT hub that's causing the problem (amongst other things). Let us just suppose that it IS the BT hub or something else on your network that's causing the problem. If you replace your network with an alternative as suggested and it then works, then it's something on your network is causing it, rather than the Humax.

Are the Humax ethernet ports of the type which will not care about whether the connecting cable is twisted or not?
I've never run any tests on it.

The ethernet cables are all cat5e standard ethernet cabling. The Humax ports will be to the same standard and will surely be compatible.

Back