Network share automount problem

Andybrody

Hi I'm hoping that Drutt or Blackhole may be able to help with this problem (or indeed anybody that could throw some light onto the situation).

I have the following :-

HDR with 1.02.27

Cf 2.10

cifs 2.6.18

network-shares-automount 1.3

samba 2.2.12-3

I have successfully mounted a test file on my main pc using the following:-

/ media /My Video /[ModSettings] /smb /Office (36.0KiB)

[parent directory]

domain=WORKGROUP (4.0KiB)

folder=testfrompc (4.0KiB)

host=192_168_0_101 (4.0KiB)

mac=ABABABABABAB (only needed for wakeUp) (4.0KiB)

password=password (4.0KiB)

shareFolder=off (4.0KiB)

user=user (4.0KiB)

wakeUp=off (4.0KiB)

There are seven files (avi/mp4) all of which play fine.

I could not at first see anything on the network of the HDR I tried many many times eventually after typing \\192.168.0.100\media into add network place wizard all the files became visible (playable) god knows why but that is now all ok.

Moving on, I now want to set up a share from my Sumvision Cyclone MKV enclosure that has a 2Tb hard drive and thousands of media files on it (avi/mp4/mkv etc). The media player is Linux based running Samba and can be seen on any of my network places without any problem, in a sense I’m using it as a NAS.

I have tried to set up a share using both the following:-

/ media /My Video /[ModSettings] /smb /Sumvision (36.0KiB)

[parent directory]

domain=Workgroup (4.0KiB)

folder=Action (4.0KiB)

host=192_168_0_104 (4.0KiB)

password=Password (4.0KiB)

shareFolder=off (4.0KiB)

user=User (4.0KiB)

wakeUp=off (4.0KiB)

And

/ media /My Video /[ModSettings] /nfs /Sumvision (24.0KiB)

[parent directory]

folder=hdd_movie_Action (4.0KiB)

host=192_168_0_104 (4.0KiB)

shareFolder=off (4.0KiB)

wakeUp=off (4.0KiB)

I insert a usb stick into the front after the HDR has booted up as I do with the pc test file but nothing appears in the media/blue (button)/usb directory.

I hope there is enough info (not too much) for some help

Cheers

Andy:)

PS the sumvision can see all pc on network under network share menu heading, and can see the Hummy under Upnp menu heading.

If you are trying to view files on the humax stored on the Sumvision Cyclone MKV you need to use the NFS or CIF packages, SMB is for humax to PC.

Here is a copy of my configuration file that mounts a share from my Windows XP server on the humax. The file (S99media-server) is stored in the /mod/etc/init.d directory with the following permissions (-rwx------). My Windows XP server is called "Media-Server" with the IP Address 192.168.0.20 and I have shared the directories on the server "Media Disk", "Production", TV Series & Shows", "Movies", "Home Videos", "Video Production", "Photos" and "Music" as readonly.

#!/bin/sh
#
mkdir "/media/shares"
mkdir "/media/shares/Media Disk"
mkdir "/media/shares/Production"
mkdir "/media/shares/TV Series & Shows"
mkdir "/media/My Video/[Media-Server]"
mkdir "/media/My Video/[Media-Server]/Movies"
mkdir "/media/My Video/[Media-Server]/Home Videos"
mkdir "/media/My Video/[Media-Server]/TV Series & Shows"
mkdir "/media/My Video/[Media-Server]/Video Production"
#
mkdir "/media/My Music/[Media-Server]"
mkdir "/media/My Photo/[Media-Server]"
#
mount -t cifs "//192.168.0.20/Media Disk" "/media/shares/Media Disk" -o username=admin,password=xxxxx
#
mount -t cifs "//192.168.0.20/TV Series & Shows" "/media/shares/TV Series & Shows" -o username=admin,password=xxxxx
#
mount -t cifs "//192.168.0.20/Production" "/media/shares/Production" -o username=admin,password=xxxxx
#
mount --bind "/media/shares/Media Disk/Movies" "/media/My Video/[Media-Server]/Movies"
#
mount --bind "/media/shares/TV Series & Shows" "/media/My Video/[Media-Server]/TV Series & Shows"
#
mount --bind "/media/shares/Media Disk/Home Videos" "/media/My Video/[Media-Server]/Home Videos"
#
mount --bind "/media/shares/Production/Video Production" "/media/My Video/[Media-Server]/Video Production"
#
mount --bind "/media/shares/Media Disk/Photos" "/media/My Photo/[Media-Server]"
#
mount --bind "/media/shares/Media Disk/Music" "/media/My Music/[Media-Server]"

Im trying to mount the files stored on the sumvision to view/play on the hummax, i have sucsefuly mounted the pc files to view on the hummy, cheers
Andy

Presumably you can you see the smb mount from the sumvision ok the windows PC? Maybe it needs a certain user / password?
Its also worth looking at the debug log for mountnetwork (you can look at these from the webif).
You can also attempt to mount the share explicitly from the telnet prompt, with something like

Code:
mkdir /media/share
mount -t cifs "//192.168.1.104/[share]" "/media/share" -o username=user, password=pword

and see if that works / throws up any errors. Its also quicker to experiment with different usernames etc this way.

Can you see the smb mount from the sumvision ok the windows PC?
yes no problem on XP machine, it you view workgroup computers it shows up as "workgroup" (thats what i have called my workgroup a little confusing i know but stuck with it now) "Samba 3.0.23c(venus)", I can share/play any file/folder etc with any pc in that "workgroup". Any help would be apprecited to get this what appears to be realy great bit of software to do what i want. Cheers
Andy

Added a few suggestions above (you replied so quick I was still adding more with "edit" ;))

Presumably you can you see the smb mount from the sumvision ok the windows PC? Maybe it needs a certain user / password?
Its also worth looking at the debug log for mountnetwork (you can look at these from the webif).
You can also attempt to mount the share explicitly from the telnet prompt, with something like

Code:
mkdir /media/share
mount -t cifs "//192.168.1.104/[share]" "/media/share" -o username=user, password=pword

and see if that works / throws up any errors. Its also quicker to experiment with different usernames etc this way.
H
i tried the above and changed /[share] to /[movie] not sure if that is right Im very very new to telnet always worried i might break something (brick it). Not sure if it is relivant but twice after this (after reboot) i saw sumvision come up under medi/blue/usb but when selected only saw top folder but no files it then disappeared.
Have rebooted again and copied debug log for mountnetwork below for your perusal. Thanks again for help speak later off to work soon not back till after 6.

>>> Contents of /var/log/scanmounts.log 2.02 KiB
ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
192.168.0.101 not responding..
192.168.0.104 not responding..
192.168.0.104 not responding..
192.168.0.101 is on-line - attempting to mount
mount -t cifs //192.168.0.101/testfrompc /media/Office -o user=user,password=password,domain=WORKGROUP
192.168.0.104 is on-line - attempting to mount
mount -t cifs //192.168.0.104/Action /media/Sumvision -o user=User,password=Password,domain=Workgroup
mount: mounting \\192.168.0.104\Action on /media/Sumvision failed: No such device or address
Mount failed...
umount: can't forcibly umount /media/Sumvision: Invalid argument
mount -o soft 192.168.0.104:/hdd/movie/Action /media/Sumvision
mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
Mount failed...
mount -t cifs //192.168.0.104/Action /media/Sumvision -o user=User,password=Password,domain=Workgroup
mount: mounting \\192.168.0.104\Action on /media/Sumvision failed: No such device or address
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...

Ps i dont need a username or password to log into the sumvision normally from anywhere so i dont think it is that but i happy to be corrected, any sugestion for user and password may be a linux standard what ever that is.

Could be because for your XP mount you have the workgroup as "WORKGROUP" and for the sumvision "Workgroup".

Things are usually case sensitive in Unix land (though this is a grey area between Windows land and Unix land so not sure if its important!)

Hi Drutt
Could be because for your XP mount you have the workgroup as "WORKGROUP" and for the sumvision "Workgroup".

Things are usually case sensitive in Unix land (though this is a grey area between Windows land and Unix land so not sure if its important!)

I have tried changing to "WORKGROUP" unfortunitley it made no difference to the problem.
Can you telp me should the share for the sumvision be it smb or nfs i have tried both I think it should be smb.
Just now i changed the file sharing for the testforpc file to non sharing imediatley the seven files thst the hummy was seeing from the office share dissapeared, can you tell me how to set up file share on the sumvision so when the file is looked at in my network places on xp machine it shows file sharing on, this may sound daft but i think that this may be the problem even though the xp machine can navigagte and add/delete/play files on the sumvision
Cheers Andy

Any ideas Drutt ?
Andy

From your setup it appears that you wish to NFS mount the folder 'hdd_movie_Action' but from the logs the script is trying to mount '/hdd/movie/Action'. This is because of the way the automount script works (i.e filenames are turned into setup parameters). A '/' in a filename would be interpreted as a subdirectory so the script has been written so that '_' characters are translated to '/' characters. This effectively allows '/' characters but prevents '_' characters from being used.

The CIFS mounts may be failing because the 'Action' share is not being made available by the Sumvision server.

Looks like smb should be the one you are working with, as that is most likely how share is being picked up on the PC.

Don't be scared of telnet, you can't brick it (not without a great deal of effort anyway ;))

By "[share]" in the mount command above I meant "insert the name of your shared folder here" so what I think you should be typing would be:

Code:
mkdir /media/share
mount -t cifs "//192.168.1.104/Action" "/media/share" -o username=user, password=password, domain=WORKGROUP

Try without without specifying "domain=WORKGROUP", and without username / password also. Also try with username=root as a quick bit of googling about Sumvision came up with that.

Steve

Looks like smb should be the one you are working with, as that is most likely how share is being picked up on the PC.

Don't be scared of telnet, you can't brick it (not without a great deal of effort anyway ;))

By "[share]" in the mount command above I meant "insert the name of your shared folder here" so what I think you should be typing would be:

Code:
mkdir /media/share
mount -t cifs "//192.168.1.104/Action" "/media/share" -o username=user, password=password, domain=WORKGROUP

Try without without specifying "domain=WORKGROUP", and without username / password also. Also try with username=root as a quick bit of googling about Sumvision came up with that.

Steve
Hi Steve thanks for answering telnet starting to make a bit of sense now:frantic:ive tired lots of combinations of user /password/domains as yet have not hit the right combo, tell me when you say try with out specifying domain/password/usermane should it looklike username= or username=username and so on. Im begining to think that it was a sumvision server refusing access to folder due to the way the hummy reacted to my testfrompc mount on the main pc when i removed file sharing, so much so that im thinking of loading linux onto a older laptop just so i can access the sumvision and set up file sharing with a GUI on the laptop. Not sure if that wolud do any good but may be worth a try.
My brain is jusat about overloaded so i will probobaly give it a go tommorow
Thanks again
Andy

PS is it possible to see the result via the Webif and it so were do i look i'm realy fed up with running up and down the stairs evertime i try a diffent combo of the above:)

when you say try with out specifying domain/password/usermane should it looklike username= or username=username and so on

I mean try just
mount -t cifs "//192.168.1.104/Action" "/media/share"
and
mount -t cifs "//192.168.1.104/Action" "/media/share" -o username=root
etc

PS is it possible to see the result via the Webif and it so were do i look i'm realy fed up with running up and down the stairs evertime i try a diffent combo of the above:)

to see if its worked, just do a directory listing directly from the telnet prompt with something like

ls /media/share

If its worked, you'll get a list of the files in your "Action" directory.

I mean try just
and
etc

to see if its worked, just do a directory listing directly from the telnet prompt with something like

ls /media/share

Cheers speak tommorow

I mean try just
and
etc

ls /media/share

Hi Steve
I have spent many hours playing with this here are the results maybe when you get the chance could you have a look and comment

This worked fine as it always has done:-
mkdir /media/Office1
mount -t cifs //192.168.0.101/test2 /media/Office1 -o username=username,p
assword=password,domain=WORKGROUP
ls /media/Office1
The.Woman.In.Blacks.avi
-------------------------------------------------

I then tried this,
first time been able to mount anything from the Sumvision :-
mkdir /media/share
mount -t cifs //192.168.0.104/HDD /media/share -o username=username,passw
ord=password,domain=WORKGROUP
ls /media/share
BT image movie music RECYCLER System Volume Information
AEon Flux.mp4 core
Bear in mind this is on the root of the drive on the Hummy if I click on movie/action I can see the files I need to (hundreds, also can see all other genre folders/files) AEon Flux.Mp4 file is for testing and would not normally be there, it works fine.
-------------------------------------------------
I then tried this
mount -t cifs //192.168.0.104/HDD/movie /media/share2 -o username=username,passw
mount -t cifs //192.168.0.104/HDD/movie /media/share2 -o username=usernam
e,passw
mount: bad address '192.168.0.104\HDD'
and this
mount -t cifs //192.168.0.104/movie /media/share -o username=username,passw
mount: mounting \\192.168.0.104\movie on /media/share failed: No such device or address

Neither worked.

The first cif mount also works fine in Network Shares Auto mount
The second cif mount will work when done by telnet but will not work via network auto mount nor will anything else to do with the Sumvision media player but will work with anything on the PC I have made sure that “_” are used instead of “.” In the host ip address.
I hope that this is not to much info
Thanks for looking
Andy

Good news that you've had it working in one form at least :)

Could the problem be that only "HDD" is shared? Sharing with smb only shares a specific folder, and you can only attach the mountpoint to this, not any folder below it (unless it too is explicitly shared). So I wouldn't expect mount -t cifs //192.168.0.104/HDD/movie to work (it is trying to mount a share called "movie" on a computer called"192.168.0.104/HDD"), and mount -t cifs //192.168.0.104/movie would only work if "movie" is explicitly shared (not just by merit of being below "HDD").

Is the "movie" folder explicitly shared?

Could you look at the debug log from the failed network auto mount attempt at mounting HDD? It should be creating a command that is much the same as what you entered manually (ie mount -t cifs //192.168.0.104/HDD /media/share...)

Good news that you've had it working in one form at least :)

Could the problem be that only "HDD" is shared? Sharing with smb only shares a specific folder, and you can only attach the mountpoint to this, not any folder below it (unless it too is explicitly shared). So I wouldn't expect mount -t cifs //192.168.0.104/HDD/movie to work (it is trying to mount a share called "movie" on a computer called"192.168.0.104/HDD"), and mount -t cifs //192.168.0.104/movie would only work if "movie" is explicitly shared (not just by merit of being below "HDD").

Is the "movie" folder explicitly shared?

Could you look at the debug log from the failed network auto mount attempt at mounting HDD? It should be creating a command that is much the same as what you entered manually (ie mount -t cifs //192.168.0.104/HDD /media/share...)
Hi
Ill have a look tonight thanks
Andy

Back