Network-shares-automount issue

Orinoko

Hi, first of all thanks to all the hard work put into the custom firmware for the Humax, makes it the box it should be from the manufacturers!

I have always used network-shares-automount and found it just worked brilliantly, i recently had a HDD problem on the humax forcing me to reformat the drive and reinstall the custom firmware and packages - before this i used to mount my QNAP NAS vids share and it appeared after clicking media on the remote control (Media/My Video) in the web interface, now when i try to mount the nas share in the same way, the folder shortcut appears in \media\QNAP on the web interface as pic attatched shows.

I cant get to it on the humax box itself, the diagnostic log successfully says mounted as below:

192.168.0.3 is on-line - attempting to mount QNAP
mount -t cifs //192.168.0.3/vids /media/QNAP -o user=????,password=????,domain=Domain or Workgroup,unc=\\192.168.0.3\vids

Has the package changed to mount the shared folder under /media/ or is this an error? and is there anyway to edit the config files to mount it like i used to i.e /media/My Video/QNAP

I have tried uninstalling, removing the config, reinstalling - im not sure what else to do, can someone help!?

Thanks!

Attachments

• humax.jpg
    humax.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 24
I'm pretty sure the package changed a while back because I had a similar problem. I'm sure some one more knowledgeable will confirm

I think you need to map the share path in /mod/etc/smb.conf. You can do this in Web-If in Diagnostics>File Editor. The easiest way is to copy the parameters for the media share and modify them.

Edit. On reading your post again, I think you just need to change a parameter in your share set-up. Make sure 'shareFolder=On'

SMB.jpg

Thinking about it a bit more, this will mount your share within 'My Video' in a folder called [Shares] Do Not Delete. Did you use the MVdisks package before instead? I've not used this package myself but it allows a USB disk to be mounted under 'My Video': I'm not sure it works with a remote share though.

Last edited:
Yes, you can mount under MyVideo using shareFolder=On or maybe mvdisks instead, but it's not recommended unless you know what you are doing. Doing this makes the Humax think the remote drive/share is part of its internal drive and confuses drive space calculations, and can impose a huge overhead if the Humax firmware scans the drive for DLNA indexing, thumbnail generation, etc.

I recommend leaving all external mounts/drives in the USB list.

Thanks for the replies, so has it been changed to mount under \media\<sharename> then? I have tried the share=on as Im sure this was set before but it makes no difference, still mounts under \media\QNAP.

As far as im aware I wasnt using the MVDisks package, I did read old posts about the need to have a USB plug, plugged into the humax box - but didnt need one plugged in before.

You did need one plugged in before, unless you used the shareFolder=on option or had the virtualdisk2 package installed. Both these options have their down-sides. There have been no significant changes in these aspects.

Thanks for your help, I will have another check of configs and other packages available tonight.

I checked and installed both virtualdisk2 and MVdisks but these dont produce the desired result of mount my QNAP share in the \media\my videos folder - I have also changed the share=on setting and this still doesnt show the share under \media\my video, I also cant find the /mod/etc/smb.conf in the diagnostics page to load the file (i have been in there before to try and find the config file) im wondering if its worth completely reverting to the factory defaults and uninstalling all of the custom firmware and packages....just to be sure as im wondering if something has been corrupted?

Is there anything else I can do? I dont really want to revert to factory defaults.

Regards

I think that SMB.conf is in /mod/etc. It can be edited in Web-If>Diagnostics>File editor, but I think this is red herring: AFAIK, editing this will allow you to turn existing folders into shares but won't change where the shares are mounted: if anyone knows otherwise, please feel free to comment. Virtual disk 2 simulates a physical USB drive plugged in to your HDR-FOX. This is useful if your remote share is set up in the default way (mounted on the HDR-FOX as if it were a USB drive) as it allows you to access USB drives directly on the unit using the remote control (in Media, Storage>USB). Setting 'sharefolder=On' should create a folder within 'My Video' called '[Shares] DO NOT DELETE': your share should then be found within this folder: this might require a reboot. I don't know more about MVdisks than is in the Wiki entry: an attached USB drive is mounted under 'My Video' as 'usb-drive1' by default and the name can be changed by editing the configuration file. I don't know if this also works with a remote share simulated as a USB drive.

I would try the following:

Remove the MVdisks package, change the 'sharefolder' setting to 'Sharefolder=off' and then reboot. With 'Virtual disks 2' still installed, check that your share is available through Web-If>Browse Media Files, under 'Media' and is accessible on the unit itself using the remote to navigate to 'Storage>USB>'. If OK, install MVdisks and see if the share now appears as under 'My Video'. If it does, edit the configuration file to change the sharename to one of your choice. You might also be able to remove the Virtual disks 2 package if sucessful at this point.

If the above does not work I am out of suggestions. Mounting of a share under 'My Video' is not the default behaviour and, AFAIK, never has been so you must have done something in the past to set up your share as you describe. If you do not succeed, what is the problem with having the share mounted as if it were a USB drive under 'Media' rather than as a folder in 'My Video'? The former is safer as with the latter option, it is possible to delete the share folder, deleting the contents of your NAS in the process.

virtual-disk2 is only a means to make the mount "visible" without a physical USB device present. My advice is to fit a cheap stick and accept the mount will be accessed under Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB.

Thanks for all your help guys, after installing both MVdisks and virtual-disk2, uninstalling them both, changing share=on (rebooting and it still not working) then heading off to work, when I got home last night and looked, lo and behold theres my '[Shares] DO NOT DELETE': folder with my mounted QNAP share! I dont know if it was something to do with the other installs kicked it, or ensuring I waited for the humax to do a full shutdown (when you hear the click) made it work.

Im a happy bunny now, aware of the dangers of deleting that folder too - once again thanks for the input.

Cheers.

Hi Guys,
I really need help with this mounting business. I've installed the virtual packages 1 and 2, what else do I need to complete this task. I want to be able to access my NAS through the HDR T2. I'm not clued up about how to do it. step by step advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks guys.
William

I think that SMB.conf is in /mod/etc. It can be edited in Web-If>Diagnostics>File editor, but I think this is red herring: AFAIK, editing this will allow you to turn existing folders into shares but won't change where the shares are mounted: if anyone knows otherwise, please feel free to comment. Virtual disk 2 simulates a physical USB drive plugged in to your HDR-FOX. This is useful if your remote share is set up in the default way (mounted on the HDR-FOX as if it were a USB drive) as it allows you to access USB drives directly on the unit using the remote control (in Media, Storage>USB). Setting 'sharefolder=On' should create a folder within 'My Video' called '[Shares] DO NOT DELETE': your share should then be found within this folder: this might require a reboot. I don't know more about MVdisks than is in the Wiki entry: an attached USB drive is mounted under 'My Video' as 'usb-drive1' by default and the name can be changed by editing the configuration file. I don't know if this also works with a remote share simulated as a USB drive.

I would try the following:

Remove the MVdisks package, change the 'sharefolder' setting to 'Sharefolder=off' and then reboot. With 'Virtual disks 2' still installed, check that your share is available through Web-If>Browse Media Files, under 'Media' and is accessible on the unit itself using the remote to navigate to 'Storage>USB>'. If OK, install MVdisks and see if the share now appears as under 'My Video'. If it does, edit the configuration file to change the sharename to one of your choice. You might also be able to remove the Virtual disks 2 package if sucessful at this point.

If the above does not work I am out of suggestions. Mounting of a share under 'My Video' is not the default behaviour and, AFAIK, never has been so you must have done something in the past to set up your share as you describe. If you do not succeed, what is the problem with having the share mounted as if it were a USB drive under 'Media' rather than as a folder in 'My Video'? The former is safer as with the latter option, it is possible to delete the share folder, deleting the contents of your NAS in the process.

where does the shares do not delete folder appear on the HDR. Also where is the setting to change the share folder=off or on? I have all the packages installed but I have no idea how to set up. It's most confusing. I only want to be able to access my Files from my nas on my HDR. Please Help

Regards
William

Take a look in the wiki here. There is also a main Network Shares Automount forum thread (see link below): it is quite long but everything is in there. In essence, you need to install cifs and network shares automount packages: see here. You might also need the virtual disk 2 package. In essence, after installing network shares automount there will be a folder in My Video on the HDR-FOX called [ModSettings] in this folder there are folders NFS and SMB. If you are sharing your NAS with samba you create a folder within the SMB folder with the share name you want. Then open this folder to configure your share. There is a good example here. Don't worry about the ShareFolder setting, you only need to set this to on if you want the NAS mounted within the My Video folder on the HDR-FOX. This makes it possible to delete the entire share folder on the NAS from the HDR-FOX so it is safer to leave this off. In this case, the NAS will be mounted like it is a local USB drive.

Take a look in the wiki here. There is also a main Network Shares Automount forum thread (see link below): it is quite long but everything is in there. In essence, you need to install cifs and network shares automount packages: see here. You might also need the virtual disk 2 package. In essence, after installing network shares automount there will be a folder in My Video on the HDR-FOX called [ModSettings] in this folder there are folders NFS and SMB. If you are sharing your NAS with samba you create a folder within the SMB folder with the share name you want. Then open this folder to configure your share. There is a good example here. Don't worry about the ShareFolder setting, you only need to set this to on if you want the NAS mounted within the My Video folder on the HDR-FOX. This makes it possible to delete the entire share folder on the NAS from the HDR-FOX so it is safer to leave this off. In this case, the NAS will be mounted like it is a local USB drive.

Followed the process but cant see anything on the humax. Will it show up under usb 1, 2 or under the modsettings folder that I created? This process is quite confusing for a novice like me. I can access my NAS through the network dlna but I cant play my videos as the Humax doesn't support MKV files. Will mounting the drive resolve that conflict or not?

Regards
William

Followed the process but cant see anything on the humax. Will it show up under usb 1, 2 or under the modsettings folder that I created? This process is quite confusing for a novice like me. I can access my NAS through the network dlna but I cant play my videos as the Humax doesn't support MKV files. Will mounting the drive resolve that conflict or not?
Assuming you leave shareFolder=off, the remote mount will appear in the USB list as a device of the name you used to create the settings (under [ModSettings]/nfs or [ModSettings]/smb - whichever protocol you use). To get to your mount, you have to use Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB. You also have to have a real USB storage device plugged in before it will work.

There is a chance that your MKV files will work - the range of compatible formats is greater for "local" files than those accessed by DLNA.

Assuming you leave shareFolder=off, the remote mount will appear in the USB list as a device of the name you used to create the settings (under [ModSettings]/nfs or [ModSettings]/smb - whichever protocol you use). To get to your mount, you have to use Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB. You also have to have a real USB storage device plugged in before it will work.

There is a chance that your MKV files will work - the range of compatible formats is greater for "local" files than those accessed by DLNA.

Thanks again for your help. i'm trying to set it all up again but when I create the folder and leave it for the 10 seconds required it's empty inside. Any ideas why that would be? My Humax did crash and said its disabled some packages but I don't know how to turn those back on.

It looks OK to me. Just to check, the folder does have underscores in its name? Is sharing set up correctly on the NAS folder, can you access the share OK from a PC? There should now be a log file on the Humax called 'scanmounts.log' - could you post this.

the folder is this \\WILLIAMSYNOLOGY\video\movies (y:) thats looking at it from file explorer in windows. all sharing is set on the Nas, ive been sharing content to my tv downstairs since I got it. Copied some of the log. its huge. not sure whats wrong.

mount: can't forcibly umount /media/Synology Nas: Invalid argument
192.168.1.76 is on-line - attempting to mount Synology Nas
mount -o soft 192.168.1.76:/williamsynology/video/movies /media/Synology Nas
mount: 192.168.1.76:/williamsynology/video/movies failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
mount: mounting 192.168.1.76:/williamsynology/video/movies on /media/Synology Nas failed: Bad file descriptor
Mount failed...
umount: can't forcibly umount /media/Synology Nas: Invalid argument
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.76/williamsynology/video/movies /media/Synology Nas -o user=admin,password=lolabear1,domain=Domain or Workgroup,unc=\\192.168.1.76\williamsynology\video\movies
mount: mounting //192.168.1.76/williamsynology/video/movies on /media/Synology Nas failed: No such device or address
Mount failed...
mount: 192.168.1.76:/williamsynology/video/movies failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
mount: mounting 192.168.1.76:/williamsynology/video/movies on /media/Synology Nas failed: Bad file descriptor
Mount failed...
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.76/williamsynology/video/movies /media/Synology Nas -o user=admin,password=lolabear1,domain=Domain or Workgroup,unc=\\192.168.1.76\williamsynology\video\movies
mount: mounting //192.168.1.76/williamsynology/video/movies on /media/Synology Nas failed: No such device or address
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...

Back