[network-shares-automount] package released

A convention has been adopted to start special folders with "[", which puts them at the bottom of the list and also stops flatten interfering with them.
Sounds like a plan - I'll try and move my stuff over to that then on next updates (also nicesplece "*edit" folder and BootHDR)

Right I've been giving this a go so that I can mount my video share on my Synology NAS, but I've come up against some problems

I have created the folder under smb and called it Synology
I have entered the IP Address using the "_" instead of the "." i.e 192_168_0_2
I have entered the username and password

When I enter the folder name, should it be entered as "folder=video", "folder=Video", "folder=_video", "folder=_Video", or something else
The shared is actually called "video" on the NAS, but when I use DNLA it appears as "Video"

The full path from my Windows 7 PC would be \\192.168.0.2\video

It does create a Synology folder in media, but there is nothing showing inside it - I assume it is because I have not configured the folder configuration correctly and so is not mounting

Also
When I press the Media button on the remote, it automatically goes to the My Video folder - how do you get it to go back one step so it displays My Music, My Photos, My Video, virtual and Synology

If I choose to copy a recording it then gives me the option of Synology and virtual

I can also see there being an issue with the *ModSettings being visible in the My Video folder - I will probably come home one day and the wife would have deleted it
As it's already in the \mod\settings folder, can it be removed from inside My Video, as I assume once the mount is created, it will hold the settings and doesn't need to be setup again
I'm happy to configure this all through Webif, I don't need it via the remote

I hope I'm not about to be embarrassed with my understanding of the whole process

When I press the Media button on the remote, it automatically goes to the My Video folder - how do you get it to go back one step so it displays My Music, My Photos, My Video, virtual and Synology
You only get to browse My Music if you press yellow and select music, ditto My Photos. As for the network drive, don't you have to press blue and select USB?

You only get to browse My Music if you press yellow and select music, ditto My Photos. As for the network drive, don't you have to press blue and select USB?

Does that mean a USB drive has to be plugged in to the HDR?

If it does, will it then show the virtual and Synology folders

Or once again, am I being thick again

I think that might be necessary yes, there certainly was a time when virtual USB devices didn't get listed unless there was also a real one.

Ignore my last message

I have now plugged a USB drive in to the HDR and I can now see Flash Drive, virtual and Synology

So that's sorted, and it was me being thick again!!

Just need to sort out the folder settings for the mount

Any ideas

When I enter the folder name, should it be entered as "folder=video", "folder=Video", "folder=_video", "folder=_Video", or something else
The shared is actually called "video" on the NAS, but when I use DNLA it appears as "Video"

I think "folder=video" should be the one. I found I had to set the "domain" as well but that might just be my PC setup. Maybe "workgroup" might need setting instead if you're not using a domain. Otherwise it all looks good.
You can look at the output log by running "cat /tmp/scanmounts.log" from a telnet prompt for more clues...

I have now plugged a USB drive in to the HDR and I can now see Flash Drive, virtual and Synology
I'll make it so the mounts are available as folders in "My Videos" as well on the HDR (or the HD you can just navigate up from the Videos folder), so it can work without plugging in a drive.

Just found a bug that would prevent it retrying if mount failed, but the ping was successful. It will retry after you reboot or manually delete the share folder from /media/. This may cause a problem when you are mid way through configuring the settings folders. Will fix in the next update...

You can look at the output log by running "cat /tmp/scanmounts.log" from a telnet prompt for more clues...

When I do this I get loads of lines saying "Checking Synology"

There does seem to be something else that appears at the start, but I cannot scroll back up to see it

What would I need to type with "cat /tmp/scanmounts.log" to make it either run slower so that I can read what it says at the start, or line by line

Try "vim /tmp/scanmounts.log" (and install the vim package if you haven't already - ":q" to quit) - or you could copy the file to a folder where you can access it from a PC and load it into any text editor. Also if you reboot the log will be shorter and you should see the earlier stuff. You may be suffering from the problem I just posted about...

Look in the diagnostics page in the web interface. It has a log viewer that might help.

af123, you were correct about the log viewer on the diagnostics page

Here is the middle section from the text in the scanmounts.log

Checking Synology 192.168.0.2 is on-line - attempting to mount
mount -t cifs //192.168.0.2/video /media/Synology -o user=humax,password=humax,,
mount: mounting \\192.168.0.2\video on /media/Synology failed: Permission denied
Mount failed... /mod/sbin/scanmounts: line 109: rmdir: not found

The mount has obviously failed from the above text saying "Permission denied"

Should there be a ",," at the end of line 2

If I telnet in and manually mount using the text below, it mounts perfectly

mount -t cifs //192.168.0.2/video /media/Synology -o user=humax,password=humax

Any more ideas?

Installed this package late last night on my HD box and finally got round to configuring it now. Didn't need the 'workgroup' or 'domain' folders, so deleted them and it worked!

Very neat indeed. It means that I don't have to paste the mount command into a telnet session any more - no big deal of course, but it's another function that can be achieved via the remote.

Now to 'play' a bit more with it. :)

Thanks Drutt.

af123, you were correct about the log viewer on the diagnostics page

Here is the middle section from the text in the scanmounts.log

The mount has obviously failed from the above text saying "Permission denied"

Should there be a ",," at the end of line 2

If I telnet in and manually mount using the text below, it mounts perfectly

Any more ideas?

Couple of comments:

It would appear that if you do not use a Workgroup or Domain fields the syntax fails due to the double commas.

I tried it out by modding the script and removed the workgroup/domain syntax and associated commas and this fixed it syntax issue and the mount then worked.

Also - I added a "mount --bind" line to link to a "NAS" folder in my library for convenience, as below (added after the cifs mount. And this worked too.

mount --bind "/media/$name/video" "/media/My Video/NAS"

BTW - I can only try cifs as I don't have NFS

Strange - the extra commas don't seem to cause a problem for me - I set up a simple share with no workgroup or domain last night and it worked fine, as it seems to for aber1 too. Maybe its an HD/HDR difference somehow. I'll try and play some more this evening...

I've had a go at setting this up both in the SMB and NFS folders. In both cases I've defined the folder as __LS-xxabc_share to replicate what I see it shared as in windows \\LS-xxabc\share but using the underscores as advised. The IP address uses underscores also. With the SMB attempt I have also provided the username and password I use to get to the console for the NAS (although I'm not sure I need those to access the share normally?) and also set a workgroup name as that was listed on my NAS config page.

When I browse to the USB list I see both items listed there but when I select them I don't see anything within. The NAS is confirmed as still being 'alive' and on the network as it has always been by checking in the 'Network' section on the Hummy and I can navigate all over it in the usual DLNA way. Anything glaring I might have missed? (I'm back at work now so anything to check on the box will have to be over the weekend).

@oijonsey

This is exactly what I'm getting

The Folder is created, but there is nothing showing inside

Check the Diagnostic page on Webif and look at the scanmounts.log

You will probably see a line saying 'mount failed'

Back