[network-shares-automount] package released

@woodbar

Try putting your workgroup name in to the domain setting and ignore the workgroup settings - this worked for me

EDIT sorry, cross posted, wish there was a delete post button (just as long as it doesn't delete the files on my NAS of course)
You could report your post and request that it be deleted by a moderator, or simply edit out the content but leaving the word deleted, or something similar.

Update - I put the workgroup name in the Domain slot - it worked !

"Video" on the NAS now mounted - brilliant

All I need now is to be able to have the "mount" in "My Video" instead of "Media" so I don't need an active ext. USB to be able to use the mount?

Update - I put the workgroup name in the Domain slot - it worked !

"Video" on the NAS now mounted - brilliant

Glad you got it working - there must be bug in the code for this to happen - perhaps Durtt could investigate it further when he has time

All I need now is to be able to have the "mount" in "My Video" instead of "Media" so I don't need an active ext. USB to be able to use the mount?

I think Durtt is looking at this at the moment, so you may get your wish

I would also like the *ModSettings folder moved to "media" or somewhere not easily found using the remote instead of it being under "My Video", because it's in a place where the wife or kids could easily delete it

I don't understand this stuff about networks and workgroups. Do you think it will become obvious to me when I try it? All I am likely to do in the imminent future is try to set up a Samba/CIFS share on the HDR-FOX (somebody advise which way to go please), and auto-mount it from the HD-FOX.

I might get a bit more ambitious when (if) I set up my dream RAID NAS/media server.

I don't understand this stuff about networks and workgroups. Do you think it will become obvious to me when I try it? All I am likely to do in the imminent future is try to set up a Samba/CIFS share on the HDR-FOX (somebody advise which way to go please), and auto-mount it from the HD-FOX.

I might get a bit more ambitious when (if) I set up my dream RAID NAS/media server.

Home networks are fairly simple to set up
Each device (PC/Laptop etc) you want to connect to the network has to be given it's own IP Address and Subnet Mask, and if it needs to have access to the internet, then the Gateway and DNS Server will also need to be set
All these setting are in the format of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, where the x's will be a number
The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved 3 sets of IP Address ranges specifically for Local Area Networks (LAN)
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
Most common home ADSL Routers use the 192.168 range of addresses, but from experience, Corporate networks tend to use the 172.16 addresses but not always

ADSL Routers also come with what is called a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), which can automatically assign the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS Server to the device that is connected to the network, so saving you the manual configuration
One of the problems with DCHP is that if you turn off one of the devices, the next time it connects to the network, it may be given a completely different IP Address from the one it was assigned previously - this can be overcome however, by "binding" the IP Address to the device's Physical MAC Address within the Routers configuration options
The Physical MAC Address will come in this format xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx, and is a unique number given to each device (e.g. 00-23-17-D2-E5-4E)
This will then always allow a specific device to always connect using the same IP Address

If you don't want your Router to use DHCP, you would need to turn it off in the Routers settings and then manually enter the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS Server on all you devices - if using this, you don't need to 'bind' the MAC Address, as the device will always use the same IP Address when it's turned on

A Workgroup is a collection of computers on a LAN that share common resources and responsibilities - this is a basic bog standard way of grouping home computers on a network - On a Windows 7 PC, it will automatically default this to 'workgroup', but older Microsoft OS's may default to other workgroup names - I seem to remember that one that was used was MSHOME

A domain is a collection of security principals that share a central directory database
This is more sophisticated and complicated version of a workgroup
Once a domain is set up, only computers that have been previously set up in the central directory database are allowed to connect to the network
This is mainly used in Corporate networks, so that the company can restrict what devices can connect to their network - it will also allow you to restrict tasks that can be done on those devices
Domains do not tend to be used in a home environment, as it is overkill for what you would need at home
This is a very generalised description of a domain, and if you need to know more there are plenty of articles on the Internet

The HDR and HD don't have anywhere for a workgroup or domain to be entered in to their settings, so you can ignore it

I hope I've explained that correctly, I'm sure someone will correct me in I'm wrong

Yes, actualy for the HDR it would be better to "invert" the location of the relevant folders:

*Modsettings in Media

"mount_share" in My Video

@ntm1275 - thanks. I started reading at "A Workgroup...", but always useful to have the information there. I still don't know whether I should go Samba or CIFS.

I still don't know whether I should go Samba or CIFS.
Use CIFS for the client and Samba as the server.

The client machine will see files on both the client and server whereas the server will only see its own files. In you case it sounds like you want to be able to access the HDR from the HD so it would be CIFS on the HD and Samba on the HDR.

I can't get this to work on the HDR by any of the methods so far mentioned. I have a share on a D-Link DNS-323 NAS box that is accessible but the webif diagnostics always show the double comma and "Access Denied" . Clutching at straws time: Don't have Samba installed as I can do everything I want through webif and ftp. Is that relevant?

Exactly how do you mount a share manually with telnet starting from #humax:

Use CIFS for the client and Samba as the server.

The client machine will see files on both the client and server whereas the server will only see its own files. In you case it sounds like you want to be able to access the HDR from the HD so it would be CIFS on the HD and Samba on the HDR.
To clarify I was referring to the cifs and samba packages in the above post.

If you go with this setup the HDR server will have to be running the unencrypt (decrypt-in-place) package otherwise the HD will only see encrypted files. You could do it the other way round (i.e. HD as the server and HDR as the client) but this would require user interaction on the HDR. This would enable the user to OPT+ copy the files from the HDR to HD whilst decrypting on the fly without the unencrypt package.

I can't get this to work on the HDR by any of the methods so far mentioned. I have a share on a D-Link DNS-323 NAS box that is accessible but the webif diagnostics always show the double comma and "Access Denied" . Clutching at straws time: Don't have Samba installed as I can do everything I want through webif and ftp. Is that relevant?
Are you trying to access files on the NAS from the Humax or files on the Humax from the network? As standard the Humax can only share content or access external content by the DLNA service, so the files on the NAS would be accessible if you enabled DLNA on the NAS (or on a PC), and anything accessing the Humax content would have to stream it from the DLNA server (enabled in the Humax settings) - eg XBMC running on a PC. FTP can "see" the Humax drive, but only access encrypted content unless you have taken steps to decrypt it first, and the WebIF download options rely on the DLNA service.

You will not get network file sharing to work unless you install the appropriate custom software package in the Humax, and the education I received above says Samba to enable the Humax to "see" network drives, and CIFS to allow the network to "see" the Humax drive(s). If the Humax can see network drives, it lets it access them as if they were USB drives - bypassing the limitations of DLNA streaming (4GB bug, file type limitations), and if the network can see the Humax drive(s) any media player can play them, not just DLNA-enabled players (eg Splash Lite) - but the content needs to be decrypted first.

Even enabling my HD-FOX to "see" the HDR-FOX drive will not overcome the decryption issue - the HD-FOX can access all the HDR-FOX recorded content by DLNA without tinkering with flags or anything (except for the 4GB bug), but it still doesn't know how to decrypt the files if left to its own devices.

Exactly how do you mount a share manually with telnet starting from #humax:
I'm not the right person to answer this! You can start by referring to the relevant forum topics, see the Index (click) under Custom Software... Network File Share.

@Black Hole thanks for pointing me at "Custom Software... Network File Share" thread I had somehow missed that.

Using telnet I created the two directories, and executed the mount and bind commands such that I now have a directory in "My Videos" that successfully maps to my NAS box. From that I deduce that there is some kind of problem for me with Drutt's script.

Hopefully I can fathom out from the thread how to create a load script to do the mount and bind in the event of a re-boot.

Samba was not required to get this working.

@Black Hole thanks for pointing me at "Custom Software... Network File Share" thread I had somehow missed that.

Using telnet I created the two directories, and executed the mount and bind commands such that I now have a directory in "My Videos" that successfully maps to my NAS box. From that I deduce that there is some kind of problem for me with Drutt's script.

Hopefully I can fathom out from the thread how to create a load script to do the mount and bind in the event of a re-boot.

Samba was not required to get this working.

I did similar. I only have one CIFS share so I added the following to the script, after the "mount -t cifs ... " command:

mount --bind "/media/$name/video" "/media/My Video/NAS"

This mounts the "video" directory of my share into my library and makes it visible as a folder called "NAS".

I modded the script /mod/sbin/scanmounts

In case anyone's wondering, I've been revising that area in dribs and drabs today. The topic originally listed in the Index was only the CIFS one, but now I have linked to a fuller list.

New version uploaded (1.2) - fixed bug with retrying failed mount, added "[Shares]" directory in "My Videos" on HDR (with "don't delete" warning!), changed "*Modsettings" to "[ModSettings]" as requested, and merged domain and workgroup settings. Hopefully no new bugs...

New version uploaded (1.2) - fixed bug with retrying failed mount, added "[Shares]" directory in "My Videos" on HDR (with "don't delete" warning!), changed "*Modsettings" to "[ModSettings]" as requested, and merged domain and workgroup settings. Hopefully no new bugs...

On first install the machine locked up but a hard re-boot fixed that. Since then I have created three separate shares on my NAS box for Videos, Music and Photos and it all works perfectly. I have done several soft re-boots to see if it remains stable and it does. Well done Drutt :) !!

Back