[network-shares-automount] package released

It may take a reboot to sort itself out, especially if you have some shares mounted. Its probably best to uninstall the old one, reboot, then install, but it should work itself out if not...

I now have a new problem with the new version 1.2

If I access the share, it causes the HDR to lock up and become unresponsive

I first experienced this issue when I first tried to manually mount my NAS to the My Video folder as few weeks ago, and now the 'network-shares-automount' has been updated to make the share appear within My Video, it is doing it again

Before the update, the shares were being created within 'media', and everything was working perfectly

I am suspecting it is caused by the share appearing in My Video, but I need to test this to make sure

@Drutt
Have you still got a copy of the previous version 1.1 that I can install to do a little testing to see if it is the mount in to My Video that is causing my problem, as there doesn't seem to be an archive of previous versions on hummypkg.org.uk

OK, I've done my manual testing by removing 'network-shares-automount', and manually creating the mount in 'media', and then 'My Video' by using telnet with the following commands

No.1. mount -t cifs //192.168.0.2/video /media/Synology -o username=humax,password=humax
and
No.2. mount -t cifs //192.168.0.2/video "/media/My Video/Synology" -o username=humax,password=humax

If I use No.1, the HDR works happily and plays files with no problems at all

If I use No.2, the HDR locks up and becomes unresponsive if I open the Synology share, and the only way to gain control again is to turn it of with the switch on the back of the box

No.3 When I was using 'network-shares-automount' version 1.1, where the shares were mounted in 'media', it worked perfectly with no problems

No.4 When I use 'network-shares-automount' version 1.2, with the share mounting in 'My Video' the same happens as in No.2, the HDR locks up and become unresponsive

Am I seeing a pattern here, where No.1 and No.3 work perfectly when mounted in 'media', but with No.2 and No.4 mounted in 'My Video',this causes the lock up issue

Is this because my HDR does not like the share being mounted within 'My Video'?

Is the issue caused by mounting in 'My Video' from a Synology NAS? (I assume other users with different NAS's are not having this issue)

Does anybody else have the same issue with those scenarios?

If I can get a copy of 'network-shares-automount' version 1.1, I will re-test it to see if it continues to work before upgrading to 1.2 and testing again

My HDR has randomly started rebooting itself and very occasionally locks up but it started after I installed the 1.17 firmware but before installing Automount. There appears to be no particular pattern at the moment and it may just be that the hardware is on its way out.

The only really odd thing is that Webif shows a message every now and again saying that a particular recording is being watched when it isn'tf.

Not that it explains my problem but I just wonder if having the shares appearing in "My Video" causes the background processes to try and process them as well as the local folders.

Is the issue caused by mounting in 'My Video' from a Synology NAS? (I assume other users with different NAS's are not having this issue)

Does anybody else have the same issue with those scenarios?
Maybe we've been waiting for a guinea pig!

Not that it explains my problem but I just wonder if having the shares appearing in "My Video" causes the background processes to try and process them as well as the local folders.
That is a very good point. flatten, seriesfiler, auto-unprotect, unencrypt... all might start walking the directory paths on the mounted drive!

That is a very good point. flatten, seriesfiler, auto-unprotect, unencrypt... all might start walking the directory paths on the mounted drive!
You could be on to something there Black Hole :) - ntm1275, do you have any of these installed? Sounds pretty clear that mounting in My Videos is causing the problem. If you want to make it behave like the previous version in that respect, you could open the scanmounts script in /mod/sbin, and remove this section at the top of the file

Code:
if [ -d "/media/My Video" ]; then
    sharesFolder="/media/My Video/[Shares]          Do not delete!"
#else
    #sharesFolder="/media/drive1/Video/[Shares]          Do not delete!"# don't really need on HD as we can asccess the root
fi

As you can see I already commented it out for the HD as we can access /media

In the next version I could make it optional (based on a flag in the [ModSettings] folder.

I have installed & tested v1.2 - it appears to work very well and I have 2 mounts running - one to my "video" folder on my NSA310 and another for the esata Seagate connected to th NAS.

However I have noticed a couple of problems - the HDR did "freeze" at one point - I was seeking through an mp4 - had to use the rear power switch to recover.

Also I have an auto power-off function enabled on the NAS and after this had kicked in I noticed the HDR took a very long time to respond whenever I pressed "media" - in fact I thought it had locked up, just sayin "processing" but if you left it for maybe 30sec the media list would appear and work OK - although I noted the "shares" were still listed but empty - just displaying "upper folder" when selected.

I tried again this morning, NAS still off, and the "media" list now responds at normal speed - it seems that the script was still looking for, and trying to display, the contents of the shares an hour AFTER they had disappeared?

I have auto-unprotect and unencrypt running and I notice from the unencrypt log that my NAS directories were indeed being processed - obviously not desirable/beneficial!

We are obviously starting to see "interaction" between thevarious

.... sorry - part 2 - my tablet decide it didn't want to accept any more text in the above post!

We are obviously starting to see "interaction" between the various packages - whilst each of these are "gems" and brilliant additions to the HDR in their own right - in certain combinations there can be awkward side effects.

Seabee - If you have unencrypt running then Webif will announce it is "Watching" the file which is currently processing - is this what you are seeing?

Drutt - just thinking aloud here - I know you adopted the "my video" option for us HDR owners that did not particularly want an "active" USB device as a requirement for use and I, for one am extremely grateful but as it seems this may cause certain problems, as previous posts, - is it feasible to get the "shares" to appear in the "Network" section when you select "media" then "storage"?

As I say thinking aloud - and probably not "thought through"!

Seabee - If you have unencrypt running then Webif will announce it is "Watching" the file which is currently processing - is this what you are seeing?

No I don't have unencrypt just auto-unprotect installed. I thought it might have something to do with the new DLNA indexing. If that is going down one of my shares to index 4k+ of MP3 files then it is probably not a good thing!

@Drutt: Personally I think having the shares appear in My Videos is not ideal. Being able to switch them on and off by sticking an empty USB stick in the front panel is a "feature" for me. I would apply your edit if I knew how :(

@Drutt: Personally I think having the shares appear in My Videos is not ideal. Being able to switch them on and off by sticking an empty USB stick in the front panel is a "feature" for me. I would apply your edit if I knew how :(

I'll make it optional in the next build, based on a setting in the [ModSettings] folder. I also personally don't like it as it also provides a route to accidental deletion (hence my warning in the directory name!)

It would be ideal if it could appear in USB media list without having to plug something in - has anyone investigated doing this? Might be possible to fool it with a dummy mount/device or something...

Otherwise it would be good to get updates into the scanning packages getting them to ignore any folders starting with "[" perhaps...

Drutt - just thinking aloud here - I know you adopted the "my video" option for us HDR owners that did not particularly want an "active" USB device as a requirement for use and I, for one am extremely grateful but as it seems this may cause certain problems, as previous posts, - is it feasible to get the "shares" to appear in the "Network" section when you select "media" then "storage"?

Unfortunately I don't think this is feasible as it links to DLNA, rather than mapping to anywhere on the filesystem. More likely to be able to fool it into putting up the USB media list without something plugged in.

Yes, that's a thought - tried so many different add ons I can't remember what they all do!

Does "virtual disc" appear as USB storage?

In hindsight (a wonderful thing) I now tend to agree that "My Video" is probably not the best location for the shares.

If you can get the USB "storage" option to be fooled into availability even though there is no device present then that would likely be the best solution? Mind you I am a bit biased here as I do have a 1Tb USB3 attached - but I want to use that elswhere when the NAS mount is fully deployed - apart from anything else, it gets a bit "messy" with media in 3 places.

Yes, that's a thought - tried so many different add ons I can't remember what they all do!

Does "virtual disc" appear as USB storage?

Yes - "Virtual" does appear in the USB list, at least it does on my HDR with the other shares.

But only if you have a real usb device plugged in as well right?

Correct, with out a real USB device plugged in only "Hard Disk" & "Network" are selectable. I have had to uninstall 1.2 as the HDR was becoming increasingly unstable with other "services" going down the share.

What does DLNA indexing do as I suspect this is causing me some grief?

You could be on to something there Black Hole :) - ntm1275, do you have any of these installed? Sounds pretty clear that mounting in My Videos is causing the problem. If you want to make it behave like the previous version in that respect, you could open the scanmounts script in /mod/sbin, and remove this section at the top of the file

Code:
if [ -d "/media/My Video" ]; then
    sharesFolder="/media/My Video/[Shares]          Do not delete!"
#else
    #sharesFolder="/media/drive1/Video/[Shares]          Do not delete!"# don't really need on HD as we can asccess the root
fi

I have removed the section as above from the scanmounts script, and it is now creating the share in media again, but it is still creating the '[Shares] Do not delete!' folder in My Video, so the HDR is still locking up
Which sections do I need to remove from the script so that the '[Shares] Do not delete!' folder is not created in My Video

FYI - I have seriesfiler, auto-unprotect and unencrypt installed

Just as a recap from all the post and any suggestions that other users have stated

1. Mounting the shares under 'My Video' seems to cause the Hummy to become unstable, and possible become unresponsive in a lot of cases

2. It appears to work much better when the shares are mounted directly in 'media'

3. Mounting the share under 'media' needs to have a physical USB drive plugged in to the Hummy

4. Currently there is no work around to mounting the share under 'media' without a physical USB drive plugged in

5. From a personal point of view, I would prefer if the [ModSettings] were not showing under 'My Video', as both my wife and kids use the Hummy, and there would always be the possibility that they may delete the folder or change the settings - as everybody that would use the 'network-shares-automount' package are probably using Webif and have access to the folder structure below 'media', is it possible for the [ModSettings] to be somewhere NOT visible when using the remote control i.e. not in 'media' or any folder within 'media'
Is it even technically possible to do this and for the mount to still work? Could the [ModSettings] be placed under bin or dev or lib etc etc etc and still work - I have no idea

6. From my previous trials and tribulations, I found that it is possible to delete your files from the mounted share if it has read/write access, so is it possible to do the following
a) Have the option of creating a mounted share with Read Only access within 'media' - this is available now - the read only access would be determined by the user privileges for the username on the NAS
b) Have the option to create a mounted share with Read/Write access but not visible from 'media' or any folders within media and cannot be see when navigating with the remote control - again I'm thinking about the wife and kids accidentally deleting the mounted share which would empty my NAS of all it files - I know there may be a Do Not Delete warning there, but it does not stop anybody from deleting the shares and hence all the files - the Read/Write access would be determined by the user privileges for the username on the NAS - Could the Read/Wrrite mount be placed under bin or dev or lib etc etc etc and still work

For point 6a and 6b above, what I'm trying to say is, in the [ModSetting] folder could the settings be expanded so that each share that you create has extra options to specify where the mount appears
e.g. Read only share can be set to appear under 'media', and Read/Write shares can be set to appear under bin or dev or lib etc etc etc and still work

I appreciate the work the Drutt has done on this and it has the potential to be a fantastic addition to the package list

Please feel free to agree/disagree on any of my points above or even suggest other points that could be added

Back