[network-shares-automount] package released

Hi Kewal - I have two Buffalos (herd?).

I use network-shares-automount with in my environment, here's my setup:

I have the network-shares-automount package installed.

NO virtual-disk package (or version 2).

My settings on my Humax (SMB):

domain=WORKGROUP
folder=videos
host=192.168.1.79
mac=ABABABABABAB (only needed for wakeUp)
password=humax (4.0KiB)
shareFolder=on
user=humax (4.0KiB)
wakeConstantly?
wakeNow?

My "share" folder sits in "my videos" - /My Video/[Shares] Do not delete!

With my Buffalo I have a user "humax" - a simple user with passsword, no quota, no hard limit.

That's it - nothing over complicated - it works, of my two Humax's - one is wired (above) and the other is wireless - both have access to the share and can stream.

Ask away if you have any questions - but I haven't really had too many issues.

dooferdog, are you aware that the 13 images in your post #492 are not working? Did you upload them correctly?
They appear to be trying to link to your computer, and are causing the page to load extremely slowly.
Thanks Brian. I have deleted them. I just copy/ pasted sections of text from the WebIF pages.

Had to be away for a few days but thanks a lot for the advice

You can share a volume or set up a user, eg, called video, and share that user's home folder....

On mine, I SSHed in and set up a MEDIA share. In that I put directories for video, pictures and music. In each one I created a symbolic link to each user's corresponding directories, so everything was shared.

Mmmm, I think I understand this but you've got me with how to create the symbolic link. I shall investigate this further at some point but for now the fact that I can at least access all my media files with the current set up takes the pressure off.

Hi Kewal - I have two Buffalos (herd?)....

Ask away if you have any questions - but I haven't really had too many issues.

I think my set up is similar to yours but now "linked" to virtualUSB2 to avoid the risk of deleting files from the Buffalo. Just so I'm clear, are you saying that when you select /My Video/[Shares] Do not delete! on the Humax it takes you straight to the folder on the Buffalo called videos which is a subdirectory of the Buffalo share folder? If so, did you set up the user "humax" to only have access to the videos folder in the configuration settings on the Buffalo?

Thanks again

Kewal

Hi kewal, did you get all this sorted? I've ended up in the same state as you, i.e having to navigate through a couple of folders on the HUMAX to get to the videos folder on my buffalo. Would be great to go straight to the videos folder.

What do you mean exactly? You should be able to set the path on the NAS by setting the "folder=" option. As far as the location of the mount on the Humax goes, it would be at the top if you mounted it as a USB (and used the Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB menu), but I admit this is a lot more satisfying on the HD-FOX (where everything is on the USB list).

Mike0001 - Thanks a lot for the link

Green Armchair - Haven't had a chance to try out a new share, which seems the best solution, not least because I'd want to back up the Buffalo first plus there are constraints on my time at the moment which prevent me spending time on it. As a temporary workaround I renamed my Videos folder #Videos so at least it is at the top of my shares folder thus quicker to locate

Kewa

I've read this thread until about last June, and understand the issue with mounting in 'My Videos' in the early days. Is this still the same, as I'd love to have a more direct link to the shared folders, but not at the expense of machine slowdown, etc...!

Currently, mine is working great... HDRT2, accessing a QNAP Nas, and mounted in the USB media.

quite a few of the files i download are now in the .mkv format, i understand this is an open format system

the hummy doesnt seem to support this, and the search engine here will not let me search for 3 letter words, is there a relevant thread discussing this already please??

It sounds strange but it's probably easier to search for 3 letter word on the hummy site using Google i.e. 'google search for site:hummy.tv MKV', unfortunately your post is about the only thing it did find. There are some posters who will insist that the Humax won't play MKV files, this isn't true, the Humax does play 'some' MKV files. It is fair to say however that more recently encoded MKV files do seem to be in a format the Humax can't handle

We come back to this issue fairly regularly. I can only assume that, like me you just occasionally download videos from t'web and would like to play them on your Hummy. I'm sure there are a whole lot of ways to do this, but there are not many recent .mkv files that the Hummy will play without help. Here's what I do, and I'm not saying for one moment that it's what everyone would want to do.
Open the downloaded file in XviD4PSP5. In the options on the left hand side, set the Format to mp4 and the Audio encoding to AAC-LC ABR 192k. Hit encode. I send the output direct to a folder on the external hard disk attached to the Hummy, but you can save it anywhere and copy it to the Hummy later if you prefer. The resulting mp4 file will play on the Hummy.
Observations:
- I also set an option to convert to stereo sound output: rummage around and you'll find it, if you want it.
- This might not render letterbox movies correctly, but is fine for TV shows.
- Because there's no video transcoding it's quick. If you want it quicker, use GOTSent instead of XviD4PSP5 (but the sound level will be lower).
- The resulting file will not only play on your Hummy, but also on most of the other devices that have trouble with .mkv.
- All the software mentioned is free and harmless.

thanks for the replies, i'll have a go, but can probably play it thru my samsung tv allshare thing?? it seems that samsung may support mkv?

if not i'll just download in correct format!

Thank you for a very useful package.

I found this thread very useful setting up shares, now however I would like a simple way to mount a subfolder of a Share directly to the HDR. I dont know if this is possible (or advisable). any help would be appreciated.

i.e having to navigate through a couple of folders on the HUMAX to get to the videos folder on my buffalo. Would be great to go straight to the videos folder.
Do you mean using the blue button, going to the share then going through the different folders on the share ? Or are you talking about mounting the share on the ‘My Video’ folder on the hummy. In my case I currently use the blue button selecting USB then selecting the share then selecting the sub folder.

What do you mean exactly? You should be able to set the path on the NAS by setting the "folder=" option.
I have tried this but as soon as I specify a sub-folder in a share the mount disappears. I have read in other formus that there are one or two NAS which allow the creation of a new share root from a subfolder of an existing share….but not most NASes.

Edit Regarding setting the folder option does this only refer to the share or are some people able to get it to work on the subfolders of a share?

For that, you must connect using telnet or ssh and be familiar with Linux.
http://help.hardhathosting.com/question.php/95

I have managed with symblink to create a folder in ‘My Videos’ (HDR1) to a sub folder on the share. I have the share mounted as a folder in the 'media' folder of HDR1. This folder (i.e. the symlink folder) is however invisible on the humax. However it is present in webif. It also visible when I use the second HDR to browse the files on the first HDR via FTP.
On the share I have two folders one for the kids recordings one for adults. I wanted to create a folder on the ‘My Video’ which would link directly to the Kids sub folder. O.k. the solution would be to create two shares but that is too much hastle.
Oh and I am using SMB to Mount the Shares.

I struggled for a while to get my NAS working as I wanted with my Hummy and having solved all my problems compiled the attached PDF which may help someone. Some of the info was gleaned from this thread and the rest by experimentation.
Michael H.

Attachments

• Network-Shares-Automount Settings.pdf
    112.6 KB · Views: 109
@micheal.h Thanks for the PDF - sorted me out.
I think your instructions \ tips should be added to the "beginners guide" :)

Regards,
Whiskers

Hmm. I have done exactly the same as before to automount HDR4 on HD1, but it's not showing up. No clues at the moment.

For want of somewhere better to comment: I was playing a remote recording by network share, and the source machine turned itself off. The "this channel is scrambled or not available" message came up on the playback.

I went to the source and turned it back on, and once it had booted the remote playback resumed with no further intervention!

I have come to this thread as it seems to cover Network Shares rather than the previous thread where I posted my original problem. (http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/remot...ve-to-hard-reset-often.4430/page-2#post-61515) my post was no. 32
Montyseviltwin very kindly posted some instructions and a graphic. I have been struggling with this ever since without any success. below is some of the scanlog where it seem I cannot access my other HDR via the Automount method.
192.168.0.09 is on-line - attempting to mount fox2
mount -o soft 192.168.0.09://fox2/My Video /media/fox2
mount: 192.168.0.09://fox2/My Video failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
mount: mounting 192.168.0.09://fox2/My Video on /media/fox2 failed: Bad file descriptor
Mount failed...
umount: can't forcibly umount /media/fox2: Invalid argument
mount: 192.168.0.09://fox2/My Video failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
mount: mounting 192.168.0.09://fox2/My Video on /media/fox2 failed: Bad file descriptor
Mount failed...
Mount failed...

my modsettings file below. What am I doing wrong? I can access both machines with web browser. Both are HDR Fox T2
Foxlink works from hdr2 but that cannot be used on both machines.

folder=_fox2_My Video
host=192_168_0_09
mac=ABABABABABAB (only needed for wakeUp)
shareFolder=on
wakeConstantly?
wakeNow?

Back