[network-shares-automount] package released

Nope!
scanlog
192.168.0.09 is on-line - attempting to mount fox2
mount -o soft 192.168.0.09:/My Video /media/fox2
mount: 192.168.0.09:/My Video failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
mount: mounting 192.168.0.09:/My Video on /media/fox2 failed: Bad file descriptor
Mount failed...
umount: can't forcibly umount /media/fox2: Invalid argument
192.168.0.09 is on-line - attempting to mount fox2
mount -o soft 192.168.0.09:/My Video /media/fox2
mount: 192.168.0.09:/My Video failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
mount: mounting 192.168.0.09:/My Video on /media/fox2 failed: Bad file descriptor
Mount failed...
modfile
/ media /My Video /[ModSettings] /nfs /fox2
[parent directory]
folder=My Video
host=192_168_0_09
mac=ABABABABABAB (only needed for wakeUp)
shareFolder=off
wakeConstantly?
wakeNow?

Do the wireless adapters cause any problems. My router has the mac address of the adapter under that IP even though I have the foxy2 on manual IP as 192.168.0.9. I may try running a cable between the router and foxy2 to eliminate the adapter. The silly thing is I can see and use the files on foxy1 via foxlink.

For an NFS share you need the full path. Set this as follows:

folder=_mnt_hd2_My Video

Your setting 'folder=My Video' won't work, though 'folder=_media_My Video' might. You also need to set the IP address as follows:

host=192_168_0_9

Your setting 'host=192_168_0_09' has an extra zero. The extra zero should not really matter, but as you are having problems, I would change it.

Those are the settings which you very kindly posted previously. They did not work either. I printed out the text and graphic and ended up with the same scanlog. The hd2 in the folder text is the name of the folder which will appear on the machine that the modsettings file is located on? I think I may take out foxlink from foxy2 and try it in the opposite direction ie foxy1 - foxy2. The situation is very strange as I can see the foxy2 media server from foxy1 and play files that way but the prospect of full function is very appealing.

@MikeSomers. It is not the extra zero in the IP address, I have tested it: I did not think this would be the problem. I've added a screenshot of a working share I have just set up. The IP address is the same as yours, so mimic these settings and see what happens.

Attachments

• NFS_share2.jpg
    NFS_share2.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 21
Uninstall Foxlink if it is still on your system, it also uses NFS and if you have Foxlink and NSA trying to mount the same folder it could cause problems. Clear your scanmounts.log file and set up the share exactly as in the screenshot in my previous post: be careful not to include extra spaces. Could you then post the contents of the scanmounts.log file if the share is still not working.

Edit: set up the folder path exactly as in the example: 'hd2' in this context is part of the path to the 'My Video' folder and is nothing to do with the share name or the name you are calling the unit. I've attached a screenshot showing the file structure.

Attachments

• Humax_mount.jpg
    Humax_mount.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 13
Both machines are recording at the moment so I cannot reboot either. The scanlog on foxy1 where I have changed the file is showing zero so a reboot seems to be required. I will report, having removed foxlink from foxy2, when I am able to reboot.

Still no joy.

modsettings
/ media /My Video /[ModSettings] /nfs /fox2
[parent directory]
folder=_mnt_foxy1_My Video
host=192_168_0_9
mac=ABABABABABAB (only needed for wakeUp)
shareFolder=off
wakeConstantly?
wakeNow?

scanlog
>>> Contents of /var/log/scanmounts.log 1.43 KiB
192.168.0.9 is on-line - attempting to mount fox2
mount -o soft 192.168.0.9://mnt/foxy1/My Video /media/fox2
mount: 192.168.0.9://mnt/foxy1/My Video failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
mount: mounting 192.168.0.9://mnt/foxy1/My Video on /media/fox2 failed: Bad file descriptor
Mount failed...
mount: 192.168.0.9://mnt/foxy1/My Video failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
mount: mounting 192.168.0.9://mnt/foxy1/My Video on /media/fox2 failed: Bad file descriptor
Mount failed...
Mount failed...
Mount failed...

To clarify, it is OK to mount shares using Foxlink on one unit, and network shares automount (NSA) on another on the same network. It is also OK to have Foxlink and NSA both running on the same machine. What you don't want to do is to have Foxlink and NSA both trying to mount the same folder on a remote unit.

@Mike Somers. Is it correct that you have two HDR-Foxes on you network, one of which is linked to the other by Foxlink, and you are now trying to establish a connection the other way using NSA? If so, this is fine and you do not need to uninstall Foxlink to make your setup work.

@Mike Somers. We crossed posts.

I know what is wrong. The setting 'folder=_mnt_foxy1_My Video' is incorrect. It needs to be:

folder=_mnt_hd2_My Video

THIS SETTING IS THE PATH TO THE My Video FOLDER AND SHOULD NOT BE CHANGED IN ANY WAY: 'hd2' is part of the path and is nothing to do with any share name etc. Do not change 'hd2' to anything else.

The log file shows that the mount is failing because the specified path to the My Video folder does not exist.

Success!!!.
I now have the files from foxy2 available on foxy 1(well those that have been decrypted)
You did warn about mounting the same folder on each machine and ending up with the locking up I had previously. what would you suggest to enable access from each machine to the other.
Many thanks for solving my problem.

It's not a problem as long as you keep shareFolder=off and only share the My Video mount (what made you put "foxy1" in that string??). The remote share will appear on the USB list (but you must have a USB stick/drive plugged in, or have the virtual-disk2 package installed so that the Humax recognises the virtual USB mount).

Doing it as above means each Humax sees the other's My Video contents only, and not the image of itself (which would be at the Media level, ie one level up from My Video).

I don't think this has ever been a problem with NFS, only SMB - but I prefer to use SMB simply because it can access connected USB drives. I was about to suggest you moved to SMB if you couldn't get NFS to work.

Many thanks again to BH and Montyseviltwin for resolving my NSA problem due in my part to not understanding the syntax of Linux. I had thought the hd2 referred to the machine and not its hard drive. I have previously used Dos and have programmed 6502 processors as well as PLC controlled machines but non of these was in great depth. The simple task of displaying a sine wave shape with the 6502 processor (it took hours of data entry) made me appreciate the amount of work that has gone into CF and made my NSA solution possible.
The 500gb HDR replaced a HD-Fox T2 in part due to the complications of loading Webif. As this machine may well end up giving hi def to an existing small TV in a kitchen cupboard the possibility of networking is real. Foxlink is a possibility but can I look at either of my HDR machines if I can attach a memory stick. I have powerlink adapters somewhere so networking is feasable anywhere. How would I proceed?
Many thanks again to you both for your patience.

As you seem to have this stuff working now I am not sure what you are asking.

These network mounts show up to the standard Humax operating firmware as simulated USB drives, and they appear in the USB drive list as external drives, so you access the remote HDR-FOX via Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB. The name in the list is the name of the folder you create under My Video >> [ModSettings] >> nfs/smb.

The caveat here is that the Humax operating firmware does not recognise that a virtual USB drive exists unless it is prompted to look for one by there being a real physical USB HDD or UPD plugged in to one or both USB ports. There is a CF workaround in the form of the virtual-disk2 package - this forces the HDR to pick up any virtual USBs, but at the cost of a pop-up each boot asking what you want to do with it. It's cleaner just to have a cheapie UPD plugged in (if you don't have something plugged in already). This applies whatever form of virtual drive you are using, be that a mount with network-shares-automount, foxlink, or virtual-disk.

The shareFolder= parameter alters this behaviour. Setting shareFolder=on causes the remote share to be mapped into the My Video folder as a sub-folder, and the remote recordings are then accessed within the normal Media navigation. There are two caveats to this: first, the remote storage then gets treated by the standard operating firmware as an extension of the internal drive and can result in confusion over free space and result in a large volume of network traffic while the indexer scans it; second, I don't know whether the Humax still needs prompting to "see" it with a physical USB - I presume it does not. Personally I consider shareFolder=on to be risky, and if somebody who doesn't know about it deletes the folder it will proceed to delete the entire contents of the remote share. The same risk exists when the mount is in the USB menu, but as that is separate from the normal recorded contents there is at least a signpost that there is something different about it.

The folder= parameter is the access point in the remote device; the host= parameter specifies the remote device by IP address so there is no call to specify a host by network name in the folder= parameter. The dots in a normal IP address (four decimal numbers 0-255 separated by full stops) cannot be accommodated so are substituted by underscores in the host= parameter, and no need for leading zeros in the decimal numbers (which could lead to misoperation as it is not standard to include leading zeros). Ditto in the folder= parameter: slashes can't be used so are again substituted by underscores.

SMB is more flexible than NFS in this respect (NFS only shares below the media level), and recent updates to the samba package (which provides the server functions for SMB) allow for folder=My Video to only access the internal HDD content or folder=media to access the My Video (etc) folders and any external drives connected to that machine. Any of the entities that appear under media can be specified in the folder= line, including external drives, or any path within them, which can be used to restrict remote access (these possibilities have always been available, but previously required some custom configuration). The key point here is that any virtual drives (ie network mounts) also show up, so to avoid an infinite recursion when bilaterally sharing content between two HDR-FOXes it is necessary for one or both to share at the My Video level (both shared at media level would mean HDR1/2 could see HDR2/1 virtual USBs which contained an image of HDR1/2 which contained an image of HDR2/1...).

Installing network-shares-automount automatically installs nfs-utils (NFS client and server functions) and cifs (SMB client) as dependencies; to enable SMB sharing you also need to manually install samba (the SMB server) on the server HDR-FOX.

Content cannot be played via a network mount unless it has been decrypted. That means there is a delay after the recording completes while the DLNA indexer makes a record of it (auto-decryption cannot take place until this happens) and then auto-decryption kicks in (presuming you have it set up). Playing the recording locally before decryption is complete can bugger the process up too.

None of this is necessary if you just use the native content sharing abilities of the HDR-FOX - as long as both are connected to the same network (via WiFi dongle, Ethernet cable, HomePlug, WiFi/Ethernet adapter...) and both have Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = On, each HDR-FOX will be able to play the other's content, whether StDef or HiDef, without any custom firmware or decryption etc, straight out of the box. You don't get file management, bookmarking, resume, and FF/REW abilities this way, and external drives on the remote device are not accessible, but for many people just being able to play the remote content will be sufficient (skip forward/back still works, as does the left/right scroll). This method of access is via Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network, and is available concurrently with any CF network mounts you might have set up. There is still a delay before any new recording appears in the DLNA index, and this delay is worse if there is auto-decryption and/or file relocation/renaming in the mean time.

I don't think I can explain it any clearer than that. For comments re HD-FOX as a client see two posts down.

Thanks for the detailed explanation but all the references you make are to HDR units. Does all this apply to a HD unit without an internal hard drive just a usb memory stick. I am able to format the memory stick to any format on my PC and have up to 16gb size available. I do not wish to record to the memory stick just to be able to load Webif and have most of the options that a HDR would have. If I could use my recently acquired knowledge of Automounting to have both HDR units appear as usb drives on the HD unit that would be wonderful.

network-shares-automount works just the same on an HD-FOX as on a HDR-FOX (and it will already have a UPD/USB HDD installed). I have three HDR-FOXes serving content to each other and three HD-FOXes.

Serving recorded content from an HD-FOX would be a right hassle.

The CF can be installed to UPD on a HD-FOX including the required format conversion - see Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click) post 2 (I see this is overdue for a major update).

Non-CF access to HDR-FOX recordings from an HD-FOX via Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network (with content sharing turned on at each HDR-FOX) is also a viable option (StDef and HiDef), with the same caveats as for HDR-FOX. With multiple HDR-FOXes supplying content there is no way to distinguish which is which on the Network menu, but the dlna-servername package can modify the DLNA name of the HDR-FOX to make each unique (which is what appears in the Network menu).

That is great and I must congratulate the contributors to the Custom Firmware for the comprehensive program that has been produced.
There is the possibility that the HD Fox will be used in a leisure garden building at some time in the future so access to recorded material would be marvelous (just got to deal with the wireless aspect). I will have a go at networking the HD Fox in the near future and after the last few days of being educated on networking etc. it should be straightforward !!

Just to give an update on my NSA progress. Having successfully mounted the My Video folders from each of my HDR Fox T2 units I had a go at adding my HD Fox T2 and mounting the My Video folder from each HDR unit on it. Success! I used my Homelink adapters to get the HDR unit on the network and internet and formatted my 4gb UPD in ext2 and plugged it in. I had already gotten CF 2.18 loaded on the HD in its previous location but did not have the room to site all the associated equipment in that location hence the purchase of another HDR unit. Fired it all up and fixed the IP address and looked at it with my browser. Said yes to downloading Webif and everything went fine. Made sure I added Network Shares Mount and and Virtual disc2 and then created the files under nfs on the HD (foxy1 & foxy2). I was able after a reboot to see the contents of either HDR machines and play the unencrypted content. The only problem I encountered was the bandwidth of the homelink devices but wireless is fine (borrowed an adapter from one of the HDR units) so extra wireless adapter on order. I have added a usb cradle as well so that I may be able to site the wireless receiver outside the cupboard rarher than hide it behind the HD. The usb hub also works with wireless and UPD connected. I was not (or was not allowed!) able to site all this equipment in the Sitting room because we have a glass TV stand and most things are visible.

My units are obviously not up to that rate as the Hi Def material was stuttering whereas they were fine on wireless. I weighed up the cost of 2 new homelink units or wireless and as wireless worked I went for that option. The possibilty of use in a garden building in the future was also a factor. I think the bandwidth was the reason they were taken out of use previously. They are at least 5 years old so things may well have changed.

Back