Network Shares Automount

hummybee

Hi all

I'm trying to set this up (to compare with Foxlink) but the 'instructions' don't mention whether or not I need to enable Recursive Auto-Decrypt.

It does say the files 'appear as if they were part of the local file system on the Humax' so it would appear that decryption is not required but I would appreciate confirmation.

The contents still need to be decrypted. Network Shares Automount is just a slightly different, more configurable way of setting up your remote drives, in operation it is very similar to Foxlink. The only difference you might notice is that the NSA shares will appear in the USB list more quickly than the Foxlink ones.

Hi MontysEvilTwin

Thanks for that.

My HDR2 box appears to be spending too much time decrypting files I only play/watch once so I'll try playing via Network as no need to decrypt but I will need to remember to delete on the 'local' box.

If you don't want to decrypt everything you could remove the recursive auto-decrypt flag from the 'My Video' folder and set up a special folder with auto-decrypt and move files into there you are likely to want to keep longer.

Hi Monty

I only keep some 'music' files (e.g Later, Sessions and the like) and move them to my Music (auto-decrypt) folder which I backup to USB HDD's.

Everything else, including films, I only play/watch once and then delete.

As both boxes are in the some room, I'll try keeping it simple and use them as two separate boxes for now.

Thanks for your help.

I decrypt everything to make it available across my network. That does mean not interfering with a recording until it has been decrypted, including watching it, but that simple expedient means that recordings are available about half an hour after they were recorded. The load is not great once the backlog is cleared, but you do have to bite the bullet and let it spend a few days decrypting the library to start with.

Hi Black Hole.

I don't have the same network availability requirements as you. I only need to access files on HDR2 via HDR1.

Both boxes are set-up to go into standby at 1am but HDR2 appears to need more time to process the recordings/decrypting for that evening as it continues to decrypt when powered on next day at around 4pm.

If using them as two separate boxes doesn't workout, I'll try moving HDR2 standby time to 2 or 3am.

Thanks for your help.

Depends what you mean by 'hammering'.

Some evenings it's only 1 or 2 recordings, but it can be up to 4 or occasionally 5 and most start around 9pm.

When I go into Webif after 4pm I do get a 'still processing' warning which I need to acknowledge before proceeding.

I found the discussion here and here really useful when setting up my 2x HDR and 1HD to view all content on all devices.
The HD can see the content of both HDRs and the two HDRs can see each other. Black Hole's post 472 in this thread fixed it for me and all machines show up as USB drives.
Both HDRs are set up with webif recursive auto-decrypt, the Virtual USB package is installed on both HDRs, Samba on both HDRs and settings as per the posts above. Works like a dream.
Each file only takes about 5mins to decrypt and usually starts about 10 mins after its finished recording.

Hi adgibs99.

Thanks for the links.

Just to be clear, I have set-up/installed/used both Foxlink and Network Shares Automount and both work fine.

It's just the long time it takes DNLA indexing and recursive auto-decrypt to prepare the files for use, bearing in mind most files are only played/watched once and then deleted.

Slow indexing might be caused by moving the recording as soon as it is finished (eg flatten, sweeper, series-filer). If you can avoid moving a recording until it is decrypted it will process much faster.

No moving of recordings (other than, as I have already said, some 'music' files to my Music (auto-decrypt) folder).

Slow indexing might be caused by moving the recording as soon as it is finished (eg flatten, sweeper, series-filer). If you can avoid moving a recording until it is decrypted it will process much faster.
Flatten and Sweeper honour the sequence so will wait until decryption is complete. Series filer can move things too early and delay decryption so I recommend using sweeper in preference to it.

Do you have auto shrink enabled? I was having lots of disk noises and what seemed like constant disk activity until I turned off recursive auto-shrink. No problems since and Im not too worried about the 10% extra disk space that can be gained.

Hi adgibs99.

No, have not enabled auto shrink.

No point as I normally just watch then delete but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Back