Network shares dropping

Diddybox

Hello

I have a HD and an HDR both connected to a synology nas via CAT6 cable. I have the network shares package on both Humax machines pointing via samba to the same folder on the nas. The nas says they are both connected ok. This used to work fine until I updated the CF a while ago.

The HDR works brilliantly but the HD seems to keep dropping. I can view folders and browse files but then it will intermittently not select a folder. That is I click a folder, the folder tree at the top of the screen changes (like I'm in the folder) but I'm in the same place (I.e not in the folder).

I thought this was because I was using home plugs so spent last weekend extending my CAT6 network. Unfortunately no change so it must be something on the HD. Any ideas as it's driving me silly?

Sent from my telephone using an application.

Oh yeah that would make sense. I have the CF on a small usb hard drive that's a few years old now. Think I'll buy a cheap pen drive tomorrow and see if it makes any difference. I don't really record much on the HD so it doesn't need to be as big as my current drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's very difficult to record to a UPD, it would have to be 32GB minimum (I've not managed to configure for recording even with 32GB). Start with the UPD formatted FAT, then use the Telnet menu to prepare it for hosting CF.

Wouldn't it be clearer for all readers if you used the OPs phrase `pen drive` rather than repeatedly having to explain a term no one understands

Wouldn't it be clearer for all readers if you used the OPs phrase `pen drive` rather than repeatedly having to explain a term no one understands
No one? I should think practically everyone who reads this forum must know what it means by now. Each of its last two uses have links to an explanation for those who don't!

The OP clearly understood, and "pen drive" needs just as much explanation to those unfamiliar with the term. This point has been wrangled exhaustively, I have made my position clear, and it ain't gonna change unless a significantly better solution becomes apparent - so stop wasting posts. That is not to say I don't appreciate the compromises made on other aspects.

You guys make me laugh.

I've ordered a whopping 64gb UPD drive stick pen thingy and will plug it in to the USB plug hole thingy and see if it makes a difference.

Phew that was technical.

It's very difficult to record to a UPD, it would have to be 32GB minimum (I've not managed to configure for recording even with 32GB). Start with the UPD formatted FAT, then use the Telnet menu to prepare it for hosting CF.
It isn't difficult to record onto a USB pen stick drive thingy (32GB or greater) from a HD-FOX, there are just a few things you need to do.
From reading the resources of this forum, you want the USB stick to be in EXT2 format. If you have a Ubuntu PC (or similar) you can use the utilities available to do this directly, if not you can use a Windows PC and the HD-FOX. As you have the custom firmware installed on the HD-FOX, boot this up with the old USB stick removed and plug in the new one. Connect to the box by Telnet, and select the option to format the USB stick in EXT2. However, the 64GB one you have ordered will probably be in exFAT format and won't be recognised as suitable for conversion to EXT2. It needs to be in FAT format to start with but Windows won't give you that conversion option. The HP USB disk utility will convert it to FAT and can be downloaded here. You might have to do a full format, but it should then be recognised by the HD-FOX for EXT2 formatting.
Once in EXT2 format, you should be able to assign the USB stick for recording via the HD-FOX data storage menu using the remote control. If this does not work, it can be fixed later.
Next try and connect to the HD-FOX using a browser with the IP address. You will either get a bare-bones directory listing or the option to download and install the rest of the custom firmware. If the former, switch off the unit and reinstall the custom firmware using a different USB. Then switch off, substitute the new USB and switch back on. You should now be able to complete the installation.
If you can't assign the new USB for recording using the HD-FOX menus, open Webif>diagnostics and run the assignhd diagnostic. This will do the trick.
The system will reserve 20GB for timeshift recording, even if you are not using it: I know of no way around this. In the HD-FOX menus, turn off the timeshift buffer, the access speed is too slow for it to work. There is also no way to decrypt recordings as the unit will only run in BootHDR mode if you are using a USB hard drive.

Hehe. I like the way a UPD has regressed (or progressed) into a USB pen stick drive thingy. I may need to lengthen that description sometime in the future.
Sorry Black Hole (BH), your technical advice/knowledge is second to none. But I do hate TLA's (three letter acronyms) even if I do remember them from a previous post.

I will probably get the usb pen stick drive thingy and clunk around until it works like I usually do. If it doesn't work I will then wait a couple of weeks before asking for advice on this forum and BH will tell me the most viable solution. And it will probably work.

Did I mention that Custom Firmware is the best open source format I have ever seen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A couple of detail items, brought to my attention by montys.. posting:
- I've bought 2 64GB sticks in the last few months, both arrived formatted FAT (not exFAT)
- messing around with one on Monday, I 'killed' it (by selecting a 'copy' when inserted to the HDR-T2), and had a bit of a job getting the formatting back to what it was as
a) my Win7 system only offered formatting to NTFS or exFAT
b) my XP system only offered NTFS (cannot think when that happened, as its original partition is FAT)
c) HDR-T2 seemed only to format to ext3, despite the newly created partition being marked as Win95 LBA (FAT)
I finally got there using one of my Raspberry Pi systems running raspbmc

A couple of detail items, brought to my attention by montys.. posting:
- I've bought 2 64GB sticks in the last few months, both arrived formatted FAT (not exFAT)
- messing around with one on Monday, I 'killed' it (by selecting a 'copy' when inserted to the HDR-T2), and had a bit of a job getting the formatting back to what it was as
a) my Win7 system only offered formatting to NTFS or exFAT
b) my XP system only offered NTFS (cannot think when that happened, as its original partition is FAT)
c) HDR-T2 seemed only to format to ext3, despite the newly created partition being marked as Win95 LBA (FAT)
I finally got there using one of my Raspberry Pi systems running raspbmc
As I said in post #11, the easiest way is to use a Ubuntu or another Linux based system to do the formatting. Windows will only natively format a USB stick to FAT if it is <32GB. In my post I gave a link to a free utility that will format a 32GB or greater drive in FAT. If you Telnet in to a HD-FOX with custom firmware you have an option to format a USB stick in EXT2, but you will only see this option if the stick is in FAT. You can't do this on a HDR-FOX.

Considering the length of your explanation, that I have not succeeded, and IIRC only one person has reported success, I stand by what I said.
Most of my description explained how to get a 32GB or greater USB stick in EXT2 format if you only have a Windows PC and a HD-FOX. Where are you running in to problems?

As you say the option to format in EXT2 is option number 1 in Maintenance mode (for the HD-Fox T2 only) in place of the HDR-Fox T2 number 1 option, fix-disk. WiKi Details HERE. The WiKi also has a guide Converting a USB Flash Drive to EXT2 on a HD-Fox T2 HERE

As you say the option to format in EXT2 is option number 1 in Maintenance mode (for the HD-Fox T2 only) in place of the HDR-Fox T2 number 1 option, fix-disk. WiKi Details HERE
Apologies for the aside, this is from the wiki:
wiki said:
/-----------------------------------------\
| M A I N T E N A N C E M O D E M E N U |
\-----------------------------------------/

[Humax HD-Fox T2 (humaxhd) 1.02.32/2.15]

1 - Convert USB flash drive to EXT2
While version 1.02.32 firmware for the HD-FOX was flashed on some boxes which were sold by HumaxDirect, it was never released as a download or OTA; this indicates that a custom firmware version exists for it?

Ok I managed to format the UPD on the HD Fox T2 and add it as the drive for recording. I then managed to install the rest of the CF via the webif page. I then rebooted but just get the directory tree. Reinstalled the CF but still the same.
So I decided to copy everything from the old hard drive to the new UPD.
I still can't get webif to work but otherwise it works great. Samba and recording etc all works well so it was the dodgy hard drive causing the original Samba dropping issues.
It seems the HD isn't too happy with the UPD as the format is greyed out now and maintenance mode says no usable drive found. But it all seems to work for some reason.
Until I need to update of course.

Back