Network Streaming Computer Software

keytouch

Network Streaming Computer Software

So I want to try and access files stored on my PC.

I have connected the Humax to the network successfully.

What software would people recommend for me to use on my PC to serve up the files? I'm currently running XP pro as my operating system.

(genuine question, but also starter topic for discussion of this issue).

Jonathan

Re: Network Streaming Computer Software

keytouch said:

What software would people recommend for me to use on my PC to serve up the files? I'm currently running XP pro as my operating system.

Jonathan
I am using the free version of TVersity and find it OK.

keytouch said:

Jonathan

Wimndows Media Player will get mp3s but I've not checked video formats. I tried Mezzmo (they have a free trial) which transcoded on the fly the video formats but there was a problem with wma and FLAC audio files. Their forum was quite helpful (the help desk was going to look at my log files) but due to Christmas the flu and updates to both the Mezzmo and Humax software I ran out of time to continue testing before the free trial period ended.

I'm now hoping that Humax add more codecs so they can play things directly, then I'll probably go back to WMP11 (although I now also have a NAS which is DLNA compliant).

keytouch said:

Jonathan

you need to make sure the files are shared (idealy on home network settings)

how do you know you are connected to the humax ( have you checked mac address)

framedtoo said:
keytouch said:

Jonathan

you need to make sure the files are shared (idealy on home network settings)

how do you know you are connected to the humax ( have you checked mac address)

I think all the sharing settings for media files in XP would be in the media player settings (Tools>Options, Library Tab, click the 'Configure Sharing' button).

Windows 7 has it somewhere in the main network settings, not sure about Vista.

After much testing I settled on TVersity which works great for me. Allows every type of media file to to streamed to the HDR without issues...oh and it was free!

Ooh, thanks for mentioning that. I've got it in my head that the HDR has no networking functionality until the Portal u/g, but of course it's on the LAN.

I've just installed MediaTomb on a Ubuntu Linux box but (so far) my Sony TV can't see it. Have to see whether the Hummy can.

I'm trying to find a streamer that will transcode .ISO DVD files.. TVersity didnt seem to want to do this for me..

I found a few late last night that I am going to test tonight but does anyone know a good one for this off the top of their head?

Running Win7 over Cat5

I have copied my ISO DVD files directly from my camcorder to a shared folder on my PC, then streamed them using TVersity to the humax and it plays them fine.

Just set it up and MediaTomb works just fine with the HDR :)

One thing though, I've added some photos that are exactly 1920x1080 - so the exact resolution of the screen - but when they are displayed there is a black border around them. I'd guess they are being displayed at about 90% of the pixel size. Anyone any idea what causes this? Will it be MediaTomb, the TV, or is the HDR adding a border?

Edit It's the HDR that's doing it. I uploaded the photo to the HDR's disk and viewed it from there; same thing. Question now is why? Seems to me that reducing the size will reduce the image quality slightly

For anyone with an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad there are even DLNA server apps for these. I tried the free iMediaShare on my 3GS and not only did it work with the HDR, but also with my Sony TV :)

PS3mediastreamer seems promising as a streamer as its free and supports a wide variety of transcoding options.. it doesnt currently work with the T2 yet however as no one has created a profile for it (i tried and failed last night). My T2 was recognised as a Popcorn Hour machine but crashes the T2 when you try to play a video. Somebody has asked for support for the T2, but they failed like me to detect the T2 using upnp Inspector.

Another good one I found was Serviio - free but we need a proper profile created too in order to play certain formats.

Back