Networking problems with WiFi

Has anyone tried ethernet wireless repeaters - my Edimax 7728AP has this capability, but I cannot seem to get it to cooperate
I'm not sure if that's a typo in your post (Edimax do a 7728Ln which is a PCI card, not an access point), but I'm using some Edimax 7228AP devices in my network. Is this what you've got?

If so, the 7228AP can indeed be set up as a repeater. But I wonder if you've considered using it in "station-infrastructure" (their terminology) mode? This means that the Edimax becomes a wireless client itself, and then anything you plug in via the 5 Ethernet ports is therefore bridged onto the wireless network. This way, you can have the Humax cabled in - which avoids having to configure the Humax as a wireless client in its own right.

For what it's worth, I'm running a Fritzbox router on 802.11n with WPA2. Then I've got two Edimax 7228AP boxes set up as "station-infrastructure"; one for the Humax, and one for a Raspberry Pi media server for streaming from the Humax. Bunged a couple of high-gain antenna on the Edimax APs, and it streams HD from one side of the house to the other, totally wirelessly, via the router in the middle.

So I'm reasonably impressed with the Edimax as wireless clients. I know some "pre-N" vendors have incompatibility problems, and yet they're working reliably with a router from a totally different vendor (although the Fritzbox isn't compatible with them if you're using WPA2 on WDS - which I'm not).

Hope that helps - it's another option for you to consider, anyway :)

Thanks for those thoughts. I do indeed have a 7728AP, and tried to configure it several different ways without success. I finally settled on a 'universal repeater' mode, which didn't seem to work either until everything got restarted.

I find that the apparent not-working-now which then changes without changing config details to be a bit of a problem.
I think I need more info on when everything needs to be restarted - I have it fairly well worked out with the older windows networking (pre win7), but this is a new game altogether.

I also found that I could get my previous config (using an edimax usb wireless dongle) working more reliably by connecting to a different DG router. I think the difference may have been the security (this router has more WPA variants possible) or it may be that this is the router which hands out IP addresses ... The puzzling part is that the signal strength from this router is much less than that from the other.

It looks like it isn't even a 8 digit combination which would be 100 million, because acknowledgement is given in two halves, one for a 4 digit number and another for a 3 digit number (The other digit is a checksum) so you only need to send 11000 requests to find any 8 digit number ! ! !
I wasn't aware of WPS as my router is too old to have that feature, thankfully

Yes, I know about that, but I was trying to simplify it as much as possible. And as for disabling the WPS, you'd be surprised at the number of people who don't know what that is, how to do it, or if you should do it. Hacking wifi is far too easy.

Hmmmm. Beef with Apple. Sounds delicious.

Back