Networking

framedtoo

bixieupnorth said: ↑
so theres a safety issue if i buy a normal trailing socket so i can accomodate homeplug? is it something that you can just switch on or off when you dont want to stream anything? other socket near tv has lamp plugged into it so i guess i can just get two way block adaptor and put homeplug into it, think my pc trailing socket also has surge protection, so will have to sort that too. maybe i'm destined to dongle!!

pro and cons of both systems if anyones got the time please?​
wireless:- go wireless n 300Mb. the chances are you will get no where near the 300Mb mark. wireless works best in open air, walls and barriers will affect the signal, sometimes can be a pain to setup. no control over the signal. good for laptops, phones. expertise needed medium

homeplug:- go for AV 200Mb. dont put them extension leads, or behind surge protectors, plug directly into the socket, if house cabling is old could have weak signal (if its that bad it may indicate house may need a rewire). more secure than wireless. guess how your house is wired, units work better with shorter runs of cabling. easy to setup. expertise needed minimal

could be problems with inductive loads, transformers, fluorescent fitting (still investigating). RCDs, RCBOs (17th edition regs, still investigating)

Ethernet (cat5):- best option. most secure, potential mess installing. fastest speed as long as terminated right. expertise needed, if terminating the cable yourself medium, if buying off the self pre-made cables minimal

Do we know if "Normal" WiFi dongles will work in the HD and HDR boxes? I thought that perhaps you had to have "Special" ones purchased from Humax.

Do we know if "Normal" WiFi dongles will work in the HD and HDR boxes? I thought that perhaps you had to have "Special" ones purchased from Humax.
sorry cant say on that, i wasn't a beta tester, i may be wrong, but i doubt a normal dongle will work, some kind of driver normally needed, you can use a second router, just set it up as a station, it worked for me, i went with homeplugs because of the layout of my house (barriers,walls) signals where not consistent (lost my rag), unless you have routers laying around (i did), and you don't want a mess, i would suggest homeplug (i'm a relatively new convert, the money i wasted on wireless, but it may not work out for you), check www.scan.co.uk for prices, to see whats best for you. (best of luck)

I am using home plugs and find that they work well, but was curious to know about the WiFi option. My Technika SmartBox 8320HD comes with WiFi built in, but I am also using a home plug with this box.

I am using home plugs and find that they work well, but was curious to know about the WiFi option. My Technika SmartBox 8320HD comes with WiFi built in, but I am also using a home plug with this box.

is it connected to your router (wireless)

disconnect the homeplug, setup your 8320HD with an IP no. well away from other equipment, for example, if your router has an address range of say 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255, set it to something like 192.168.1.50, that should get it away from anything else you have on your system ( you may have to experiment with the no's).

play about with the two (one connected while the other isn't ), see which is best for you

don't forget to SOD it (Switch Of Death), all your equipment. modem,router,equipment off, then back on in the same order

I have always used my 8320HD with the home plug, and never had any problems with it, and find that it works much better than the HDR as a media player. I am using TVersity on my laptop, and both boxes can see the media on it, but can't see each other. I'm not sure whether the HD-FOX T2 will be any different, I will have to see when I have purchased another home plug for it.

The reason that I have not bothered using WiFi on my 8320HD is partly to the reported problems of a number of users over on AV Forums.

I have always used my 8320HD with the home plug, and never had any problems with it, and find that it works much better than the HDR as a media player. I am using TVersity on my laptop, and both boxes can see the media on it, but can't see each other. I'm not sure whether the HD-FOX T2 will be any different, I will have to see when I have purchased another home plug for it.

The reason that I have not bothered using WiFi on my 8320HD is partly to the reported problems of a number of users over on AV Forums.

sorry miss understood, thought you wanted to try it with wireless

I'm not sure what you mean here.:confused:
when everything stops responding, its dead you switch it of and on again, SOD it, is just a nice way of putting it, in reality we say, f*****g piece of s**t, you piece off s**t b*****d f*****G t*****g piece of s**t, and turn it off and on again

when everything stops responding, its dead you switch it of and on again, SOD it, is just a nice way of putting it, in reality we say, f*****g piece of s**t, you piece off s**t b*****d f*****G t*****g piece of s**t, and turn it off and on again
Ah! I see what you mean now.;):D

Best to leave the equipment off for a few minutes before turning it back on again. Long enough to make a nice calming cup of tea.

Indeed. WiFi dongles - and other peripheral equipment - needs (should) conform to the CEC spec which is not the same as PCs. As someone else said, PC stuff needs drivers.

My Sony TV and Blu-ray for example will only work with Sony WiFi dongles - at £70 each :eek: - which is why I use Cat5e and Homeplugs :p

In the original thread in the HDR forum...
yes. the surge protector acts like a filter,

homeplug would have to be mains side of the surge protector, for it not to be affected

Ah, never thought of that. I thought data transfer between my Linux box (Ethernet over 85MBPS HomePlugs) to my MacBook Pro (wireless n) seemed sloooow. I'll try moving the HP from the surge-protected extension to a wall socket and see if things improve.

On the subject of HomePlugs. If I get a gigabit switch, connect a HP, my laptop, and my Linux box to it, then data transfer between the two computers will be at gigabit speeds? In other words, the packets are routed directly between the two rather than via the router (i.e. via the HP)? IIRC, this is the difference between a switch and a hub (the latter can't do direct routing between two devices)

Indeed. WiFi dongles - and other peripheral equipment - needs (should) conform to the CEC spec which is not the same as PCs. As someone else said, PC stuff needs drivers.

My Sony TV and Blu-ray for example will only work with Sony WiFi dongles - at £70 each :eek: - which is why I use Cat5e and Homeplugs :p
I wonder how much Humax would want for their WiFi dongles? not that I would want any myself, as I'm happy with my Home Plugs.

On the subject of HomePlugs. If I get a gigabit switch, connect a HP, my laptop, and my Linux box to it, then data transfer between the two computers will be at gigabit speeds? In other words, the packets are routed directly between the two rather than via the router (i.e. via the HP)? IIRC, this is the difference between a switch and a hub (the latter can't do direct routing between two devices)
Yes generally that is correct - a hub simply resends the data received on a port to all others.
The throughput you actually get may be way off the theoretical maximum for gigabit though - for lots of reasons.

Back