Never put 'F' where the door is!

I like it. A Scots acquaintance described him as "soapy Salmond" and an "idiot". Obviously hasn't the slightest grasp of economics - wants to be fully independent of the UK and yet desperate to keep monetary union... derrr!

Last edited:
I have no particular allegiance to Adobe. I was using Photoshop as others might use Hoover or Biro.

I have no particular allegiance to Adobe. I was using Photoshop as others might use Hoover or Biro.
That is what I was sadly afraid of. I am always finding myself correcting people who claim to have Dyson Hoovers, or any other non Hoover manufactured vacuum cleaners that they Hoover the floor with. Personally, I have only ever owned 1 Biro, and that was purchased more than 35 years ago, and I don't think I have seen one since.:D

I bit pedantic don't you think? hoover has become a generic name for vacuum cleaners, once it became the general excepted name it ceased to be a brand as did biro.

In my experience Hoover is certainly used as a generic term by a lot of people. I haven't heard biro used generically though, but people have asked me for a Bic, meaning cheap clear plastic ballpoint. Maybe that's regional?

In Germany particularly, Karcher is used for any pressure washer and I've heard my (English) parents use it as a verb, even though theirs is a different make.

I don't think a particular brand can engineer this kind of adoption (I'm looking at you Sarson's and Walls!),

Cashpoint is another one that gets used for all holes-in-t'wall. J-cloth has probably crossed over too.

Back