New Arris Freesat recorder

stevens1249

My old Humax Freesat box gave up today so, seeing as we can only get Freesat where we live (on holiday), I promptly purchased a new Aura 1tb Freesat box.
Mostly everything is fine except for one thing if anyone can help?
We have no broadband router where we are, it’s not possible, so I do all our broadband over mobile network. I fact I get over 70mbps via mobile so I’m more than happy.
For catch up I use my hotspot and in that respect I connect my Sony tv; my Firestick and 2 echo dot smart speakers, all without any issues.
Now the problem: No matter what I do, I cannot hotspot the new Humax. In fact, when I search for networks it finds my iPhone but makes up some weird elongated name for it and will not connect when using the hotspot password.
Never mind I thought, I’ll put in the correct SSID and then the password. However, Humax box promptly kicks me out saying wrong password.
I’ve reset the Aura but still get the same result.
I know everything is ok with the hotspot because all my other devices are using it.
Has anybody any idea what’s going on as it’s got me beat?

We do have a Non-Humax PVRs section (we'll get this thread moved), but whether there is much specific knowledge here I don't know.

The question here is whether to blame the Arris or the iPhone. Some phones / phone contracts do not permit some types of connection to the hotspot under "fair use" policy, in particular it is not unusual that the terms do not allow the phone to become the router for a home network (I'm not sure I've expressed that very well, but I hope you get what I mean).

It seems possible that the iPhone itself might have said "too many devices" or something like, and rejected the connection, but the Arris doesn't know how to interpret that and is telling you "wrong password". You must understand that error messages don't always mean what they say – yes there might have been an error, but if the programmers didn't anticipate a particular error, the actual message is pot luck (or might be a crash!).

If you are willing to take a punt on the problem being the Arris, you could try bypassing the Arris's WiFi using an wireless bridge to link to your WiFi (phone hot spot) and provide the Arris with Ethernet instead, such as this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vonets-VAR11N-300-Router-Bridge-Repeater/dp/B0148NO58W

(I don't have specific experience of this unit, other units are available, but I imagine it is very similar to the TP-Link TL-WR802N, which I do have experience of but is currently unavailable from Amazon.)

Arris is aka freesat 4k box. Very, very long thread on AVForums about it and a search there and/or DigitalSpy are possibly most likely to bear fruit?

https://www.freesat.co.uk/help/4k-tv-boxes/general-troubleshooting/problems-connecting-wifi suggests a box restart and then using ethernet cable if still no joy... The box is made to freesat's design/specification and a :poop: I understand.

I'd probably try changing the hotspot SSID to a very simple name (e.g. ARRIS) to see if the freesat 4k box doesn't mangle that and connects OK? Or anything to do with WiFi frequency bands, at least while connecting first time. Perhaps even IPv4 & IPv6 settings?

I'd probably try changing the hotspot SSID to a very simple name
Good point. Some devices don't like SSIDs and/or passwords with anything other than letters or numbers. (I had to simplify our WiFi credentials when I installed CCTV cameras.)

But if the OP has buggered off now (or perhaps can't find his thread and thinks it's been deleted), he'll never know.

i had a hotspot working from my phone with the Aura recently.

On the iPhone under personal hotspot there is a maximise compatibility option. Have you tried that?

Back