New house no channels since move

Yep. That's the problem. It's a wideband LNB supplied by Sky for SkyQ.
You need a 'standard' LNB like
Easy to swap if access to the dish is easy.
Change the LNB and it will spring into life as if by magic.
As its got 4 connections do we still just use the existing 2 connections? And does it matter which ones we connect to on the new LNB

I've also seen some LNB's with 2 outputs

I've seen screwfix do one that he can collect today

Last edited:
As nobody else has replied, my opinion:

If you only need two cables, a twin LNB might be cheaper than a quad. If you use a quad, make sure the unused ports are properly sealed against the weather (maybe they are supplied with caps - as an engineer, I would put some grease in the caps before fitting them, Vaseline would do).

As I understand it, each channel on a multi-port LNB is able to select any quadrant separately (according to the control signals that come up the cable from the receiver) - high band or low band, horizontal or vertical polarisation. By having four ports, each port can be configured to a different quadrant and thus receive everything simultaneously - but that doesn't stop any one of the ports switching between the quadrants if required, so yes, just connecting two cables should work fine, and it doesn't matter which ports you connect to (check if maybe one of them is designated a "master" port for power or something).

Communal satellite distribution systems have a distribution box which take all four feeds and a different quadrant on each, and then the control signals from the various subscribers STBs select which quadrant to pass on, controlled by the distribution box.

If you only need two cables, a twin LNB might be cheaper than a quad. If you use a quad, make sure the unused ports are properly sealed against the weather (maybe they are supplied with caps - as an engineer, I would put some grease in the caps before fitting them, Vaseline would do).

As I understand it, each channel on a multi-port LNB is able to select any quadrant separately (according to the control signals that come up the cable from the receiver) - high band or low band, horizontal or vertical polarisation. By having four ports, each port can be configured to a different quadrant and thus receive everything simultaneously - but that doesn't stop any one of the ports switching between the quadrants if required, so yes, just connecting two cables should work fine, and it doesn't matter which ports you connect to.

Communal satellite distribution systems have a distribution box which take all four feeds and a different quadrant on each, and then the control signals from the various subscribers STBs select which quadrant to pass on, controlled by the distribution box.
Thank you

And thank you to everyone else that replied.
Many thanks hopefully u/I can get them watching TV again today.

Was considering a factory reset but dad doesn't want to lose the stuff he's saved on the hdd
Going back a bit here to earlier post. A factory reset will not erase the recordings unless you specifically ask it to.
However, in this instance, a factory reset would not have made the slightest difference.

Hi we've changed over the LNB but we still can't pick up the satellite signal when doing a postcode search.

We've done a manual scan and it's found 180+ TV stations but there all out of order.

Any ideas?

Thats the LNB we got delivered

Screenshot_20201014_173230_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

As I understand it, each channel on a multi-port LNB is able to select any quadrant separately (according to the control signals that come up the cable from the receiver) - high band or low band, horizontal or vertical polarisation. By having four ports, each port can be configured to a different quadrant and thus receive everything simultaneously - but that doesn't stop any one of the ports switching between the quadrants if required, so yes, just connecting two cables should work fine, and it doesn't matter which ports you connect to (check if maybe one of them is designated a "master" port for power or something).

Sky have not used two output lnbs for years. A two output lnb is likely to be a a SkyQ wideband, totally unsuitable for a Freesat box. The Op needs a KU-band universal with 4 or 8 outputs with Polarisatiion (H/V) and band switching (high/low) control of the LNB.

Vaseline is useless, You need silicone grease. It dries out and lets water in.

Last edited:
Assuming the OP has a MK4 dish,

Suitable lnb's

For up to two twin tuner freesat+ pvrs,

No idea where Black Hole got this totally incorrect info from.

Best ignore it,

Incidentally it a good idea to dip coax cables into silicone grease before screwing on screw on f connectors.

II's a well no known scam to generate a paid for re-call just outside the 12 month warranty from dodgy installers,

I cannot believe this poster is not aware of this.

If not perhaps ignore anything this poster posts,

If not perhaps ignore anything this poster posts,
Perhaps you would do well to take your own advice. Especially as everything you've posted has already been overtaken by events.
Did you feel the need to post all this just to have a dig?

No idea where Black Hole got this totally incorrect info from.
In what way incorrect? I'm not a satellite expert, but I had the gist right and it was posted in the absence of better advice. In fact, for all practical purposes, I was spot on.

The OP wanted to run a Foxsat-HDR. The existing LNB was wideband for SkyQ, therefore unsuitable for a standard satellite STB.

The Foxsat-HDR only needs a dual LNB, it can only use half a quad LNB. What's more, the OP only has two cables. The OP bought a dual LNB based on what I said, and is happy with the result.

All of that would have been apparent if you read the thread.

Whether Vaseline dries out or not (it's better than nothing, and usually available in the medicine cabinet), there is no need because there are no spare ports to weather-seal.

It's not the empty 'ports' that you need to seal. Its the active ones to prevent ingress of water and electrolytic action due to the DC current in the cable.
And you did, before editing your post, say the dish was not suitable which was wrong, but soon corrected.

A plugged hole is better than an empty hole! And we can debate "dish" but I believe I got the concept over, and stand by the assertion that Joe Public think of the LNB as part of the dish (and probably don't even know what an LNB is).

Back