New Humax 300Mb/s WifI dongle

MartinLiddle

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to Barry over at MyHumax.org there is a new Humax WiFi dongle with a 300 Mb/s speed. From what Barry is saying I assume it uses a different chipset and hence will only work with a software version whose kernel includes the correct device driver.

Do you really need a 300Mb/s dongle when it works nicely on a 100Mb/s LAN I wonder?

If it really manages to work at that speed it will probably only be within patch cable distance of the router in an isolated farmhouse on St Kilda.

Do you really need a 300Mb/s dongle when it works nicely on a 100Mb/s LAN I wonder?
You are right of course. I'm hoping that this is really about enabling 5Ghz connections with the 300Mb/s tag as Martin has indicated really for marketing.

My guess is that it is due to the now rather elderly RT2870 chipset. Recently, Humax-badged dongles seem to have been manufactured by Edimax: they look like the Edimax EW-7711UMN in a different plastic case and identify themselves as Edimax devices when connected to a wireless network. The Edimax EW-7711UAN dongles now being produced are 'V2' and use the MediaTek MT7601U chipset.
It would put me off buying a HDR-2000T/ wireless dongle bundle at the moment (if I needed a disincentive). According to Barry at myhumax.org, the new dongle should only ship with units that have had a software update to accommodate it. Unless the dongle is in the box with the unit I would not want to count on this: if the dongles are boxed separately they could easily get mixed up in store. Sounds like an update is in the pipeline for the HDR-2000T. I wonder if the HDR-FOX be updated too?

My guess is that it is due to the now rather elderly RT2870 chipset. Recently, Humax-badged dongles seem to have been manufactured by Edimax: they look like the Edimax EW-7711UMN in a different plastic case and identify themselves as Edimax devices when connected to a wireless network. The Edimax EW-7711UAN dongles now being produced are 'V2' and use the MediaTek MT7601U chipset.
It would put me off buying a HDR-2000T/ wireless dongle bundle at the moment (if I needed a disincentive). According to Barry at myhumax.org, the new dongle should only ship with units that have had a software update to accommodate it. Unless the dongle is in the box with the unit I would not want to count on this: if the dongles are boxed separately they could easily get mixed up in store. Sounds like an update is in the pipeline for the HDR-2000T. I wonder if the HDR-FOX be updated too?

Hi I bought the Edimax EW-7711UAN V2 to use on my Humax HDR Fox T2. It doesn't work. have tried the front and back ports but the wifi configuration in the settings menu is greyed out and can't be selected. I bought the Humax through eBay. Everything else works fine. Any idea how I could get the dongle to work or is it dead in the water?

Warnings needed in the relevant places - wiki and forum topics.

You are right. I got the information regarding which dongle would work on my Humax from hummy.tv- wasn't aware that version 2 of the Edimax EW-7711UAN wouldn't work. Will see if I can sell it on eBay. Any idea which dongle will work without any problems? Thanks.

You are right. I got the information regarding which dongle would work on my Humax from hummy.tv- wasn't aware that version 2 of the Edimax EW-7711UAN wouldn't work. Will see if I can sell it on eBay. Any idea which dongle will work without any problems? Thanks.
To be fair though, the wiki does warn that if the EW-7711UAN claims Windows 8 support on the box it might not be compatible.
I think that it is going to get harder and harder to reliably source dongles based on the RT2870 RT3070 chipset.

Edited to correct error (see post #23).

Last edited:
I never did manage to get hold of a non-working one to see if I could update the driver to support it in the custom firmware.

I never did manage to get hold of a non-working one to see if I could update the driver to support it in the custom firmware.
There probably aren't that many of them around, it seems to have been a transient or batch issue: I have a later example of the '1.0D' version which does work with the HDR-FOX.
If Humax don't issue a software update to make their new dongle work with the HD- and HDR-FOX, and it is feasible, it would be useful to make it compatible as it would add a degree of future proofing.

It depends on the chipset and whether there's a driver for kernel 2.6.18 which is small enough.

Does the kernel necessarily all have to reside in the flash?
It's more about it taking up kernel memory space. The driver module that Humax ship is only 614K but when I built the latest version of the Realtek driver it was significantly bigger. There is very little memory to play with on this model.

Thanks to everyone for helping out. I have just ordered the Tenda 311U+ based on gat's recommendation. Good price. Thanks again.

Back