New Portal in development

Martin O'Brien

Afternoon,

I've installed the custom firmware and the new portal. Lots of the apps like ITV Player etc say in development. Do we know when any additional apps will launch in 2014?

Also on the Wiki it says about Iplayer being able to save recordings onto the drive is this true or coming ?

Cheers,

Martin.

Also on the Wiki it says about Iplayer being able to save recordings onto the drive is this true or coming ?

This is a function of Webif not the portal itself.

If you watch something on the portal and then go into Webif>Browse Media Files
You will find a button at the bottom "Save last streamed content ..." (See image below) you will then be able to save the last watched item.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1389802882.286882.jpg

EDIT: this is described in more detail in:http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Package_Notes#Save_Last_Streamed_Content

I'm afraid I hit a wall with the VOD apps and currently they are at a standstill. If some solution is found (running flash in Opera browser or somehow call rtmpdump from Opera browser) then I will take a look at them again!

Until then I'm afraid I can't progress anything!

Can anyone help Martin ?.

I'll make a donation in the meantime to fund the web resources. The "freeness" of this resource and what you can do with the custom software is a snip compared to those monthly charges of pay TV and what you can't do.

Can anyone help Martin ?
I think the subsequent posts answered the question. However, in summary: saving the stream buffer is done via a button at the bottom of the page on the WebIF media browser; and as far as streaming services other than BBC iPlayer and YouTube are concerned, it's a very definite don't-hold-your-breath.

I'm afraid I hit a wall with the VOD apps and currently they are at a standstill. If some solution is found (running flash in Opera browser or somehow call rtmpdump from Opera browser) then I will take a look at them again!

Until then I'm afraid I can't progress anything!
This may not be of any use, but while the ITV player website uses Flash, the Android app (and probably apps on other devices) is HTML5 based and uses Adobe Air not Flash. Is this combination more feasible?

EDIT: not sure if HTML5 has been implemented with ITV player yet, but the Android app definitely uses Adobe Air. Early versions were Flash based: the current version is based on Air.

"Custom Firmware", sir. We don't have customers, it is all offered free at own risk and with no guarantees (but donations to keep the forum and web resources funded are welcome).

Hmm someone needs to fix the Hummy donation page since it ain't working. I did donate via the Hummy remote page which is working but obviously that funds the remote package side which is also worthy of donation.

Hmm someone needs to fix the Hummy donation page since it ain't working. I did donate via the Hummy remote page which is working but obviously that funds the remote package side which is also worthy of donation.
The Site Donation facility has now been fixed.:)

All goes to the same pocket :)
What does?

The hummy.tv site is run by Michael and he has to cover the costs of hosting (~£45/month), the hummy.tv domain name (~£50/year) and the forum software (about £85 to buy and £25/year thereafter). I make that £615 / year.

The custom firmware repository hosting, Wiki hosting and remote scheduling service are run by me and cost around £200/year (including the hpkg.tv domain name) - it is also on a dedicated hosting platform as the demands of 2000 Freeview boxes checking into remote scheduling every few minutes meant it quickly outgrew shared hosting environments. On top of that it supports package updates for 7000 freeview boxes and probably a similarly large number of Foxsat ones.

Donations to remote scheduling, along with income from people clicking on the ads, cover about half of the cost. Donations to hummy.tv aren't covering the costs - see http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/site-donations.4479/

It will help now the donations page is fixed ;)

I would urge people to put their hands in their pockets since the value of the information on this site and it's tools is very good if you consider these are peoples own free time producing great functionality. This can only be packaged up and made available by the hosting and other associated costs.

EDIT: not sure if HTML5 has been implemented with ITV player yet, but the Android app definitely uses Adobe Air. Early versions were Flash based: the current version is based on Air.

But AIR has Flash as a subset, surely? I thought AIR was just Flash plus other formats?

What does?

The hummy.tv site is run by Michael and he has to cover the costs of hosting (~£45/month), the hummy.tv domain name (~£50/year) and the forum software (about £85 to buy and £25/year thereafter). I make that £615 / year.

I don't want to sound ungrateful but, wow, those prices sound outrageous. I run a few sites myself with admittedly far lower bandwidth but my costs are about £12/month for the hosting (unlimited storage), £12/year for each domain (two .coms and one .org, no idea what a .tv would be from those guys, may not even be possible) and forum software is free (various open source offerings supported). The guys I use are based in the US so may not give the speed needed here but, well, wow, I thought *I* was paying too much!

I understand that the remote site needs far more bandwidth but the forums should be ok I would have thought.

I don't want to sound ungrateful but, wow, those prices sound outrageous.

My experience of domains is they are dirt cheap at first but then the price goes up steeply. I have had a few obscure ones like that and each time the provider tried to rip me off after 2 years. The purpose of one was merely to redirect mail, as at the time my real email address kept changing. That failed famously!

Oh, and one US provider set up a continuing payment agreement on my card and refused to cancel it. The only way open to me was to cancel my card at the bank and get them to issue another with a different number.

Edit: Just tried [obscurename].tv and got £35/year just for the domain name! .me.uk was £3.50 a year.

Back