New router over the network issues

True. Do we know where the other one is connected? (Assuming there are at least two!)

PC is downstairs with a Homeplug connected to the router. The FOX is downstairs connected to a Homeplug. The Foxsat is upstairs also connected by a Homeplug. I have installed the Homeplug software and am able to monitor that the Homeplugs work. Which they do in normal operation like iplayer and streaming whilst the PC is off.

As I am still connected with Virgin media until 23rd, I have retried with that router and it appears to work OK, with the PC on. I have run Malware bytes fullscans over the past few days and it detects no problems, Hitman Pro too.

Did you make a note of the 'threat' to Google it?

Yes, there appears to be guides on the internet on how to properly remove, will do it later. Strange not noticed any major changes in the PC, maybe wouldn't have stumbled accross it if it wasn't for my Humax issues! Think I will remove Java until or if I need it again, seems more trouble than it's worth.

Think I will remove Java until or if I need it again, seems more trouble than it's worth.

Java being a threat is an urban myth promulgated by Apple, who didn't want to put it on their devices. They wanted to control everything on their machines.

Javascript is as dangerous as Java and even the humble Adobe PDF Acrobat file can damage your PC. It's a result of wanting to do everything in your file format, including deleting files, running programs and launching ICBMs.

Most web servers could not exist without Java. It's better to keep Java up to date. Delete Apple instead! :D

https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Should be 7.51 at the moment.

I'll put a lot of money on this being something to do with the HomePlugs. Can you use a wire instead, even if only temporarily?

Meanwhile I suggest configuring it manually and using the same netmask, gateway, and DNS addresses as the HD-FOX.

Wired the Foxsat directly into the router today and it works fine that way. Though not really an option to have it wired all the time unfortunately.

Could it be that Black Hole wins the cigar????:)

yes strange it appears the combination of computer and homeplugs causes a problem, but homeplugs work fine without the computer on, in the equation. I tried to have Fox plugged through on set of homeplugs into ethernet port 2 on the router and the Foxsat plugged through another set of homeplugs into ethernet port 3 (effectively the same as the wired connection being in port 3) but it appears this will not work, the routers lights go crazy and they don't appear to connect that way.

yes strange it appears the combination of computer and homeplugs causes a problem, but homeplugs work fine without the computer on, in the equation. I tried to have Fox plugged through on set of homeplugs into ethernet port 2 on the router and the Foxsat plugged through another set of homeplugs into ethernet port 3 (effectively the same as the wired connection being in port 3) but it appears this will not work, the routers lights go crazy and they don't appear to connect that way.

You mean two sets of homeplugs with different links? That seems like overkill, or possibly it will not work. Can you have two Powerline/homeplug networks on the same mains?

No,

router---homeplug 1
Fox---router or Fox---homeplug 2
Foxsat---homeplug 3

is the correct way. (After making sure all three are linked to one another.) A fourth homeplug is unnecessary.

Anyway, it looks to me as though it is definitely the PC and not the homeplugs causing the problem. Anyway, they have lights on them. You can see if they are not connected or if the connection is of poor quality. Either no green LED or the green LED turns yellow or red.

You mean two sets of homeplugs with different links? That seems like overkill, or possibly it will not work. Can you have two Powerline/homeplug networks on the same mains?

No,

router---homeplug 1
Fox---router or Fox---homeplug 2
Foxsat---homeplug 3

is the correct way. (After making sure all three are linked to one another.) A fourth homeplug is unnecessary.

Anyway, it looks to me as though it is definitely the PC and not the homeplugs causing the problem. Anyway, they have lights on them. You can see if they are not connected or if the connection is of poor quality. Either no green LED or the green LED turns yellow or red.

Yes the correct way is how I had it set up. Tried the other out of interest. Anyway for now the wireless dongle approach seems to work and as my PC is right next to router there is no issue with the signal.

Back