New to this Humax box

TOONARMY

Hello, I have just gotten this box from bt this morning and was looking for a bit of advice, I had a different humax box a couple of years back and I remember you could add your own apps on it like Sky Player via the usb(Which I managed)
I was wondering if anything like that is possible with this humax box?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I'm afraid not, although Humax make the hardware and supply some peripheral software of it, the main YouView programme is written and supplies a YouView consortium, the T-1000/1010 is 'locked down' as far as add on firmware is concerned

Thanks for reply, that is a shame but understandable.
One other think about this box are the best to leave on, as last night I switched it off at the plug and it took a while to load up this morning.

Why would you turn off a device intended to record stuff off-line for later viewing? It is designed to be left at least on stand-by.

One other think about this box are the best to leave on, as last night I switched it off at the plug and it took a while to load up this morning.

There is a trade-off between power consumption and speed of startup. You can leave it on all day and let it slurp electricity in low-Eco mode, when it starts quickly, or put it in Eco mode and it takes 3 minutes to start. Or, if you switch it off at the mains, it takes 3 minutes to start.

Yeah I did select eco mode as it stated in the instruction manual. The main reason I never left it on last night was because once I put it in standbye it didn't seem to stop making the noise like the other Humax I had.
So would I be best just to leave it on 24 7?

Yeah I did select eco mode as it stated in the instruction manual. The main reason I never left it on last night was because once I put it in standbye it didn't seem to stop making the noise like the other Humax I had.
So would I be best just to leave it on 24 7?

Don't select Eco mode, select "Low" under Eco mode, ie, Eco off, and leave it in standby. It will consume electricity but startup is fast.

It looks like there three options that use 3 different amounts of power, full on takes about 23 Watts, A high power standby (with 23 Second start-up times) which takes 16.2 Watts and the low power standby (with 3 Min. start-up time) which takes less than a Watt. I'm guessing that in high power standby the hard disk continues to spin in order to get the unit working in only 23 Seconds

Okay, once I put it in standbye does it shut down at all after a few minutes?

No, it stays in standby with power keeping it awake. It uses a bit less power than when fully on. (Edit: See Ezra's figures above.)

If you have a smartphone or tablet, though, get the YouView app and link it to your box, following the instructions. (A code appears on your TV and you type that into the App.) You can set recordings from anywhere as long as the box isn't in full Eco mode or off at the mains. So, if you go out and forget to set a recording, that is no problem.

It looks like there three options that use 3 different amounts of power, full on takes about 23 Watts, A high power standby (with 23 Second start-up times) which takes 16.2 Watts and the low power standby (with 3 Min. start-up time) which takes less than a Watt. I'm guessing that in high power standby the hard disk continues to spin in order to get the unit working in only 23 Seconds
Surely one doesn't need the disk to be spinning - but regardless of that these figures are awful. I didn't realise. :(

There isn't - it's just banter about the concept of porting the YouView code across to a HDR-FOX.

Sorry, I thought toonarmy was responding to the previous couple of post, I didn't realise it was a separate issue.

Which illustrates once again the danger of not linking your replies on forums. On busy ones, ten people can jump in before you reply to the "previous posts". On this one, toonarmy was possibly replying to my post #10?

Back