New user - the good and the not so good

Hi,

I've had my manager special for a little over a week now and I've found my way around most of it. Many things i like eg. I love the way it tells you when it starts a recording, is able to record 2 different things and watch something else, access via ftp and lots more.

Things i'm not too happy with are:
No chasing playback, a real shock this, couldn't believe it wouldn't do it, how very last centuary.

Why does the box have its own volume control. I can see the possible need for some adjustment but it should be a one off setting leaving the volume control buttons to control the tv or amp whenin PVR mode.

The remote is a bit dodgy, buttons too small and too hard to find in the dark.

Have I missed something with chasing playback or the volume control?

Cheers,

Bob.

What is your problem with chasing playback? it seems to work OK for me.

Volume control is fine, do your TV and amp not have their own volume controls that you can use?

Rewinding a recording is possible. Rewinding a live broadcast requires Time Shift Recording to be turned on in Settings >> Preferences.

Ah, just the post I was preying to get. So chasing playback is allowed but how? Mine says "unavailable" until the recording finishes. How do you get yours to do it?

As for the volume control I prefer the method used by Sky and my DVD recorder, no internal volume control just controls the TV volume then you only need 1 remote, much better surely.

Cheers,

Bob.

Rewinding a recording is possible. Rewinding a live broadcast requires Time Shift Recording to be turned on in Settings >> Preferences.
Is this the normal thing to do then, enable Time Shift recording?
And then you have to wind back to the start, is there a fast way to do that?

To be clear I'm talking about progs that are recording not just being watched.

Thanks

Bob.

Pressing the play button during recording brings up the timeline and the rewind buttons work. Go back as far as you want.

Pressing the play button during recording brings up the timeline and the rewind buttons work. Go back as far as you want.

Thanks for the help and sorry i'm being a bit thick.

OK, so I've set a recording to happen whilst I'm out and I get home half way through the prog. How to I watch it from the start now?

I tried..
Bring the box out of standbye. Goto media, find the recording, select it press play. This doesn't work.
How else do you do it?

Bob.

I tried..
Bring the box out of standbye. Goto media, find the recording, select it press play. This doesn't work.
How else do you do it?

Bob.
Well I'm pretty sure that's exactly how I've done it before because it's one of the great things about recording TV on a hard disk is that you can start to watch something you haven't finished recording yet.

On the volume front - I want the volume controller on the HDR remote because with that I only ever need one remote control (now that I have programmed it to control the TV as well I can switch source to DVD or PS3 all without the need for any other remote).

[EDIT] Hang on if you mean you highlight the recording in the Media list then press the Play Button then that's not what to do. The subsequent post about highlighting the recording, press the OK button then select play from the menu is what I do.

Try both methods and see which one works. You can't beat empirical evidence.

Well I'm pretty sure that's exactly how I've done it before because it's one of the great things about recording TV on a hard disk is that you can start to watch something you haven't finished recording yet.

On the volume front - I want the volume controller on the HDR remote because with that I only ever need one remote control (now that I have programmed it to control the TV as well I can switch source to DVD or PS3 all without the need for any other remote).

[EDIT] Hang on if you mean you highlight the recording in the Media list then press the Play Button then that's not what to do. The subsequent post about highlighting the recording, press the OK button then select play from the menu is what I do.

Thanks for the advice about chasing playback, I'll try it as you suggest tonight.

The volume control on the remote is great and I agree very useful. It is the volume function in the PVR i question the need for unless it is a one off setting. I prefer how the Sky remote and others work, ie. if it is set to control the default device (recorder) then the volume control always works the tv, if you select another device then the volume contols that device. I just don't see the point of controlling the volume of the PVR.

Bob.

Hi,

I've had my manager special for a little over a week now and I've found my way around most of it. Many things i like eg. I love the way it tells you when it starts a recording, is able to record 2 different things and watch something else, access via ftp and lots more.

Things i'm not too happy with are:
No chasing playback, a real shock this, couldn't believe it wouldn't do it, how very last centuary.

Why does the box have its own volume control. I can see the possible need for some adjustment but it should be a one off setting leaving the volume control buttons to control the tv or amp whenin PVR mode.

The remote is a bit dodgy, buttons too small and too hard to find in the dark.

Have I missed something with chasing playback or the volume control?

Cheers,

Bob.

First things first, check you are on the latest firmware revision. Menu >> Settings >> System >> System Information. Software Version should read 1.02.20.

Chase Play: I don't understand your problem. While something is recording, press "Media", then navigate to the recording. If it is part of a series recording, it will be in its own folder under My Video, if not part of a series recording then it will be immediately under My Video. If it is being actively recorded it will be identified with a red dot. Having moved the cursor to highlight the recording, press "OK" and you will have a menu pop up with "Play from the start" as the only available option; alternatively press the play button on the RC handset and it will play from the start immediately. If this is not what you find, there is a problem somewhere.

What's wrong with having a volume control? Nobody says you have to use it, and you can easily press the "TV" button on the handset to control the TV volume instead. The general advice is to set the Humax volume to 20 (it goes to more than 11) and then control the final volume using whatever is generating the final sound (TV or amp). I use the Humax volume control when watching via my projector, because it is more convenient to set the projector to max and use the Humax to reduce it. If you get a Logitech Harmony universal remote control, you can program it to control the TV volume whatever mode the handset is in.

BH

What's wrong with having a volume control?
I believe the OP would prefer it if the volume buttons in PVR mode punched through to TV mode, as can be configured on many universal remotes. I fully agree with him, it's a pain to keep having to switch between TV and PVR modes and forgetting which one you're on, particularly as pause in TV mode switches the input source on my TV. I may end up soldering on some JP-1 connections to my Humax remote and reprogramming it!

I agree about punch-through, but in the mean time the solution is a Harmony.

With punch-through though, if we hacked the Humax RC, what would happen if we did want to adjust the Humax volume?

I believe the OP would prefer it if the volume buttons in PVR mode punched through to TV mode, as can be configured on many universal remotes. I fully agree with him, it's a pain to keep having to switch between TV and PVR modes and forgetting which one you're on, particularly as pause in TV mode switches the input source on my TV. I may end up soldering on some JP-1 connections to my Humax remote and reprogramming it!

Exactly quite so. Please let me know if you do this as i would like to follow.

Cheers,
Bob.

Back