Newb. What do I do?

thamesside

OK, I bought the Humax because my old video recorder packed up. I can access the guide, select channels and pause live programmes. I can record and play back. I have connected to the internet and found i-player and u-tube.
Now what? I understand the Humax can interact with my computers on the network and send stuff back and forth. No idea how. The manual tells you how to set things up but not what to do with them.
Is there a Humax for Dummies or something that will eucate me?

If the the 2000T is the same as the HDR-Fox T2, it will have an option to turn on FTP, this is where it is on the HDR Menu >> Settings >> System >> internet settings >> FTP server = on. This would allow you to FTP into your 2000T and access the files, but the recordings will be encrypted so you won't be able to play them on your P.C.

The only other thing is DLNA server/client functions. I order to play media stored elsewhere on your network you need to enable a DLNA server on the remote device (eg WIndows Media Player on a Windows machine, and some NAS units have built-in server capability), and you access remote media using the Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network option - any servers located on the network will be listed. Note you may need to set the Media >> Media (yellow) to "music" or "photo" if that's what you are looking for, it defaults to "video" and will only list video files by default.

To play recordings from the 2000T on (say) a PC, you will need to use a media player with DLNA capability, eg VLC. The content sharing needs to be enabled on the Humax: Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = On. The 2000T will only serve StDef recordings (not HiDef).

I can confirm that the 2000T will play both media streamed from a network DLNA server and media transferred to it via FTP. In respect of the former there's a well-documented glitch that means each time you have to point the 2000T at the network via Settings before it will see it.

Thanks. The fog is lifting very slightly!
I have switched on Content Share and FTP server.
I go to windows media player on my computer and go to media sharing. The HDR 200t is not listed. It is however shown as a networked item in "network"
On the humax if I go to music>>storage>>network my PC does not appear.

I imagine your PC is not appearing because the 2000T is looking for a media server, not a PC. A Windows Media Player expert may be able to help. Personally, I downloaded the free version of Servio, which the 2000T sees and which works perfectly!

I imagine your PC is not appearing because the 2000T is looking for a media server, not a PC.
Correct. The DLNA server in WMP needs enabling and configuring to serve whatever content there is. Even once enabled, it can take a while to be recognised the first time.

Google "dlna server windows" and you should get all the info you need. Ditto "dlna client windows".

I find I have to go in and out of the portal via the menu,before the 2000 sees the network,ie computer or Fox HDR(via media button). Unlike the Fox which see,s the network straight away via the media button.Don,t know if this helps?

On the humax if I go to music>>storage>>network my PC does not appear.

There is one thing you may want to invest in and that is a file server. Not only can you back up your precious PC files to that, often in duplicate, but most also include a media server. Rather than having your PC serve the media files, copy them to an appropriate folder on the file server and they will be available to all your devices even when your PC is off. Plus, power consumption on a file/media server is likely to be far lower than on a PC.

There are several cloud services like Amazon Cloud and Google Cloud that store your media files online, but I am not sure they work with any Humax devices. A file sever is your own personal local cloud server, where you can stick all your photos, music and videos.

But I still find it frustrating that although the HDR-2000T is shown on the network by my PC it is still not found by WMP in media sharing. The laptop on the network shows up OK.

I suspect that the OP wants to stream the contents OFF the 2000T to another device, not the other way round as people seem to be assuming. Can the 2000T actually file serve its contents?
Ezra said:
but the recordings will be encrypted so you won't be able to play them on your P.C
(My emboldening) Did you pick up on this thamesside, or am I wrong in my assumption of what you are trying to do?

Anyway Servio seems to work. Thanks Colirv. I'm still finding my way round it.

You're welcome. As it happens I don't bother streaming to the Humax. It spends much of its time switched off because of the way it interferes with the rest of my setup. Where Servio really comes into its own is streaming to my Sony Bravia TV. This can be very fussy over the files it chooses to play (it won't, for example, touch .mkv files). Servio has a Sony Bravia setting, and will recode .mkv files on the fly to a format (goodness knows which!) that the Sony likes.

I am really interested to find out just what it will do. But it is true that I am much more likely to want to stream pictures and videos from my PC to the Humax than the other way round. Servio seems to do the job.
I don't have a smart TV so I can't go direct there.

OK. made a short MPEG4 home video and loaded it into Servio. Found it on the Humax and it plays but not continuously. Stops and starts. Tried MPEG2 but that was worse. My wifi is pretty fast and stream i-player no problem. Anything else I can try?

It's almost certainly a speed/dongle problem. For example, I've found wi-fi FTP to the Humax is very slow.

I've just tried streaming a 44min MPEG4 video from Servio to the Humax and, like you, found it paused every few seconds for a few seconds. If I paused play myself for 10 or 15 seconds, to allow it to buffer, it then played for several minutes without pausing. Putting the dongle on a 6" extension lead to allow it to rest on top of the Humax, instead of being hidden behind it, and it played perfectly without interruption. If the dongle is currently in the rear port then try moving it to the front. If you can't speed up the wi-fi try wired.

Thanks for your help colliv. I have put the dongle on an extension and this helps but does not totally cure the stop/starts. Pausing for five minutes at the start does not seem to help. (It is just a short 2minute video).
I suppose the next step would be to use TP-link powerline adaptors. So would I need 3? One for the router, one for the Humax, and one for the PC?

Back