Newbie query - Do vertical stands for the Humax exist?

Cain

Hi all,

I've had a 9300 for a while now and am generally v. happy with it, despite having filled it up on more than one occasion the only time performance really slowed was when the remote batteries ran low...

Anyway, due to living room remodelling and a new TV I'm low on space for a 'set-top' box. Can these sets be stood on the end, would this affect performance, and do 'official' stands exist. like for example for PS3s?

Any advice gratefully received.

Anyway, due to living room remodelling and a new TV I'm low on space for a 'set-top' box. Can these sets be stood on the end, would this affect performance, and do 'official' stands exist. like for example for PS3s?
It isn't designed to be stood on end but I think you would probably get away with it. The two issues that occur to me are the hard drive and thermal cooling. Modern hard drives (unlike older ones) are not fussy about orientation so that should not be an issue. Cooling would be the one to watch. I don't have a 9300 but the 9200 has a vent at one side. I would ensure that the box is oriented so that if there is a vent, is at the top and not obstructed. I would also recommend monitoring the temperature of the box whilst horizontal and then seeing if it gets significantly hotter when on its side; if it does then a rethink is called for. I don't know of any stands.

While I would be happy to run a hard drive on its side I would only do so with a new drive and not one that had spent all its life up until then flat.

Back