[newk] Automatically remove generic prefixes from series names.

It could have been impeded by not rebooting in time.
However, what rule\word would you add to delete word 'the' but not make 'ory' from 'theory'

I installed newk as I was getting annoyed at the number of series with the prefix New:

I didn't realise that it would not work on existing folders so ended up with quite a few duplicate folders and decided to remove it.

Since removing it series with the prefix New: are still having the prefix removed, is there any way to stop this?

I expect this easiest way is to delete and re-add all the series linked items in your recording schedule. Or change the folder name manually using the WebIf.

I've not used newk, but I suspect all that is happening is that existing items in your recording schedule (and any new entries you might make) have been modified so that the target recording folder name has the prefix removed. Therefore, all you actually need to do is to merge any existing recordings into the new version of the folder and delete the old folder. This could be done automatically with sweeper - indeed, there may even be a predefined sweeper rule which does this.

The "New_ " problem is still with me. I recorded the "New_ The Next Great Magician" last night as a series.
The folder name is as above, but the Programme name is, correctly, "Next Great Magician" (I have added "The " to newk).
I have had a good look through this thread and haven't been able to find a 'fix' for the folder name, but might have missed it.
So questions if I may (numbered for your convenience).
1. Can I automagically prevent the "New_" prefix in future series folders at scheduling time? If so, how (other than a reboot after scheduling)?
2. Can I just rename the folder using the WebIF? If so where will future series recordings go?
3. Can I manually rename the series folder in the scheduled, so that future recordings go to the right folder?

In answer to my own Q2 (b). It seems that newk has already got rid of the 'New_ ' prefix in the schedule folder.
4. So I assume that if I rename the actual folder to what the schedule says, the recordings will end up in the right place?
5. And if I don't the second recording will generate a new folder with the "New_ " missing creating two folders for the same series?

If you rename the target folder in WebIF >> Scheduled Events >> [relevant entry] >> More >> Change Folder, any new recordings will be made to the new folder name - which will be created if it does not exist. Renaming the existing folder to the new name will make it the target for the modified schedule event. No need for newk. Simples.

Thanks for your i/p BH, simples but manual, but:
a. Surely the target folder is not created until the first of the series is recorded which then requires manual intervention either before the first recording to setup the folder, or after it to tidy up like I did before asking the questions.
b. That's a lot of hassle when a reboot after the initial scheduling does the trick.
I was asking if there is a fully automagic way it could happen without the reboot.

You were talking about one specific example, so I assumed you just wanted to do it the once or occasionally. The process I described is for a "patch up" when one notices a series folder that isn't named what you want. I have never personally used newk - what a folder or a programme happens to be called on disk doesn't irritate me (although I might well want to change a folder name, particularly to prefix it with "[") because mostly I access them through flatten or flatview, and then they get deleted when watched.

IIRC the series folder is (by default) named the same as the first programme recorded in it, even if subsequent programmes (with the same S-CRID) have different names. The WebIF schedule browser "more" tools provide an option to create the folder for a series recording before the first recording is made, and/or to revise the name for the target series folder even before the folder is created.

You were talking about one specific example, so I assumed you just wanted to do it the once or occasionally.
Thanks for that. My post was an example of what is happening. I managed to sort the specific one, but like mihaid, I wanted to sort it for future series recordings. A reboot after scheduling works, but I was wondering if there's a way round it without rebooting.
IIRC the series folder is (by default) named the same as the first programme recorded in it, even if subsequent programmes (with the same S-CRID) have different names.
Yes, that's what happens, and I don't have a problem with that. It's just that the "New- " prefix screws up the alpha sorting of stuff.
The WebIF schedule browser "more" tools provide an option to create the folder for a series recording before the first recording is made, and/or to revise the name for the target series folder even before the folder is created.
I'll have a look at that, thanks

You were talking about one specific example, so I assumed you just wanted to do it the once or occasionally. The process I described is for a "patch up" when one notices a series folder that isn't named what you want. I have never personally used newk -.

and that qualifies you to answer a post on the newk thread ?

Thanks for that. My post was an example of what is happening. I managed to sort the specific one, but like mihaid, I wanted to sort it for future series recordings.

I just added New_ to the newk list and bob's your uncle. the recordings end up in big bank folder. excellent.

Already had that. Just trying another with "New: " without a reboot to check to see what happens. Would you believe it, none 'till 18:00

That's pretty much what I was wondering. RTS works its magic wonderfully. I notice that when a new series schedule is made, there is no folder stated in the WebIF schedule list at the time and none in the explorer folder structure, so I presume that this is created and named at record time. Waiting for 18:00 to test this theory. I assume that it would thus need a hook into the Humax file/folder creation routine to give the folder the right name. Unless the folder could be created 'in advance' of the first recording and the new folder 'attached' to the series schedule. Just thinking aloud what's probably a load of blx.

EDIT
As before, Series recorded , New in folder, no New in title after decrypt and chaseget detectads.

Last edited:
Trev - newk now has RTS integration with version 1.0.4 (you'll need to update nugget and webif too - due to the nugget upgrade, a reboot will be necessary.)

When scheduling a series using the custom firmware methods, the prefix should be removed straight away. Anything scheduled through the standard on-TV interface will have the prefix removed during the next automatic processing run (within 20 minutes), or on next boot as before.

Hey, that's a great result af. Thanks for your time in 'sorting' it. I'll give it a whirl in a bit when I have upgraded and rebooted.

That makes me more interested in newk - my machines only get rebooted when they crash, so previously it was of little use (and only a minor irritation).

Back