Nicesplice problem

Tim Humphries

I've been using Nicesplice to do quick editing on my HDR-Fox T2 for a little while, and found it very effective, but now have an issue I can't seem to get around. I recorded 6 hours of the Reading festival, and now want to keep just 2 segments of it, total of 52 minutes. I set the bookmarks accordingly and told it to crop. It appeared to have been successful, but looking at the new file, it was only 28 minutes instead of 52! I deleted it and tried again, watching progress this time; at 51% the progress bar shot to 100% and said 'completed' - 28 minutes again! Went back, cleared the bookmarks, set them again from scratch, same result, 51% - finished! (result screen attached). I fully expect it to be something I've missed, but I can't see it - if anyone can shed any light, I would be most grateful!Edit_page.png

I guessing that it may be due to the large file size, you could try using nicesplice to cut the file in half at say 3 hours and then crop each of the halves into a 20 min and 32 min file, it is also possible to join two files into one using the nicesplice command line nicesplice -in "recording 1" -in "recording 2"-out "new joined recording"

Hadn't thought about the file size; tried your suggestion, also tried keeping just the second 30 minute segment. Both failed - it seems the crop process has to work it's way right through the whole file, and it always fails before the end. Nothing I've read about Nicesplice mentions an upper limit on file size; trouble is, I don't want to keep the whole 28GB file but can't reduce it! I have another PVR connected via scart - I could transfer the file then edit it, but I'll lose the HD quality; life's tough!! :(

That "cut at nan seconds..." message is probably not good. In C-speak "nan" means "not a number" and is probably indicative of a bug in the "nicesplice" module. It should be printing a floating-point number there, having had a sniff though the binary looking for what it's supposed to print.

The usage help for "nicesplice" doesn't work either:
Code:
humax# nicesplice
Killed
humax# nicesplice -h
Killed
humax# nicesplice --help
Killed
humax#

<sigh>

Over to drutt for a fix I guess.

I had a problem cropping a file a while back. I did get it to work eventually, but I'm not 100% sure of which of the steps I tried that worked. If you have decrypted the file already, try cropping the original encrypted file. Alternatively, try shrinking the file before cropping. Probably longshots but may be worth a go.

It's coming back to me now. It could be due to a corruption in the file. If you have not decrypted, try decrypting: the process may fail before completion, but you will be left with the original file plus a decrypted copy upto the point where the process fell over. Decrypt by placing in a folder flagged for autodecryption, then you will get diagnostic info in the auto.log file. If the decrypt does fail part way through, if you then place one bookmark only in the original file, just past the point where the decrypt process failed it should (if it works) output a file containing video from the bookmark to the end of the original file. It may then be possible to crop these two sections further to give you the files that you want.

MAJOR POINT! If you run the autodecryption, as suggested, make sure that you have the undelete package installed first. You will be able to retrieve the original file from the deleted items folder, otherwise it may be deleted.

The usage help for "nicesplice" doesn't work either:
Code:
humax# nicesplice
Killed
humax# nicesplice -h
Killed
humax# nicesplice --help
Killed
humax#

<sigh>
Your installation is broken.
Code:
nicesplice
Usage: -in infile [in -infile] [-out outfile] [-cut time1 time2] [-cutframes cutframe1 cutframe2]|[-cutBookMarks] [-noAlignCuts] [-addBookMark pos] [-dump] [-noStripEPG] [-tsr section] -[DebugOutput]

I've also been experiencing what may be a glitch with Nicesplice. I've been trimming the 'dross' from the two Wimbledon Singles Finals in 3D. Admittedly, they're both big files, I think the Murray recording was around 17gb. However, once I've set my two bookmarks for the main body of the recording, and then come back to Web-If, everything seems to run like clockwork until you notice that the progress indicator is displaying NaN% throughout.

If I leave it to well beyond the estimated time to crop, it seems fine, and the Murray Final is indeed intact despite the dire warning not to interrupt. I had hoped that a smaller file, like the Women's Final would work OK and show the progress but it doesn't.

I've also been experiencing what may be a glitch with Nicesplice. I've been trimming the 'dross' from the two Wimbledon Singles Finals in 3D. Admittedly, they're both big files, I think the Murray recording was around 17gb. However, once I've set my two bookmarks for the main body of the recording, and then come back to Web-If, everything seems to run like clockwork until you notice that the progress indicator is displaying NaN% throughout.

If I leave it to well beyond the estimated time to crop, it seems fine, and the Murray Final is indeed intact despite the dire warning not to interrupt. I had hoped that a smaller file, like the Women's Final would work OK and show the progress but it doesn't.
I've seen the 'NaN%' thing before when instigating a crop from an android tablet: the process still worked. There is another crude way of monitoring progress. Before starting the crop, look at web-if and note the file size total in the folder in question. If you then start the crop and open this folder in another instance of web-if you will see the file size total increase when you refresh the page, but the file itself won't become visible until the crop is complete.

It's looking like a file size problem to me, the maximum allowable frame count appears to be 719999 where as the last bookmark i.e. 18716 would be at about 776714 frames. The 719999 would equate to a maximum bookmark point of about 4.6 hours from the the start of the recording and in this case, the last bookmark is at 5.19 hours

Yes, the problem will be that as it's Hi-Def there are fewer packages that will handle it, Video-Re-D0 H264 version is one, but not free

After faffing about for years with various free video editing packages I bit the bullet and bought VideoReDo H.264. Very glad I did, it is the gold standard.

Your installation is broken.
I don't see how, given that nicesplice consists of a single binary file.

As it happens, running it under strace tells me that it fails immediately with an ENOMEM error. OK, humaxtv has been running for several days and seems to have leaked quite a bit, but there was still about 30MB available. This is evidently not enough for nicesplice to even start, which seems a bit bonkers. Having restarted humaxtv, its memory consumption has been lowered and nicesplice now runs.

I wouldn't call this a "broken installation".
Code:
nicesplice
Usage: -in infile [in -infile] ...
I don't know what that is trying to tell me. It looks like somebody left in some superfluous text.

Code:
... -[DebugOutput]
That looks like the '-' should be inside the '[' not outside it, but, as it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, who can tell.

It's looking like a file size problem to me, the maximum allowable frame count appears to be 719999
Is this just based on observation, supposition or some other knowledge?
It seems a funny place to have a limit.
This, all that floating point guff that others have reported and excessive memory use seems to make nicesplice a bit of a lemon IMHO.

Not so much a lemon, as requiring a bit of rework to account for things that were not considered when originally written. It has been used successfully by many, so it is not useless as such.

I wouldn't call this a "broken installation".
Your original quotes showed the command line response "killed" after you presumably aborted the naked "nicesplice" command which would normally respond with the usage string - so what were we supposed to think?

Many thanks to everyone who took the trouble to reply; at the moment I can't see a way around the problem other than to copy this large file off (via scart) onto another PVR, which has editing built in. Could do it off box, but I know that (even assuming I can get the file transferred) the laptop would groan, having to handle a 28GB file! I'm still a fan of Nicesplice, it's so quick and simple, will just have to remember to split recordings at around 3 hours. Tried using the Web-if Split option - it, too, fell over at around 20GB - maybe one day it'll be able to handle these large files.

Back