No auto switch TV input?

Another reason to use the TV: the HDR Fox T2 has a loud and annoying fan, the TV is fan-less (which the Humax should be and could have been if only they'd put some ventilation slots in the top of the case).

It might have a loud fan, but you could land a helicopter in my front room and it would be drowned out by a 7 year old - ie I never hear the fan as the TV is so loud ;)

My 9300 on the other hand - that was loud!!!!!!

By putting your hummy into standby you miss out on the pvr's best function ie being able to pause live tv while you get another beer from the fridge or when the phone rings. Also the ability to rewind when you've just missed an important piece of dialogue or plot line and my fan is not load or obtrusive. So much more than a recording device.

I hardly ever pause live TV. If something is worth watching then it worth recording. The only live TV I tend to watch is rolling news.

Another reason to use the TV: the HDR Fox T2 has a loud and annoying fan, the TV is fan-less (which the Humax should be and could have been if only they'd put some ventilation slots in the top of the case).

Loud and annoying? Mine certainly isn't. It is off most of the time and when it does run it is almost inaudible.

I know 'one man's meat is another man's poison' and I am sure this discussion could run and run, but is it possible that you have a faulty fan/unit?

That's exactly what my parents and my aunt are doing on their HDR Fox T2s. At one point I had my mum in tears on the phone because she couldn't watch her recordings. I tried to talk her through selecting HDMI1 on the TV, but she said the input menu just kept whizzing round and it took her 4 goes to get the right input. It turns out she was pressing and holding the input select button on the TV remote rather than just pressing it briefly. It's something she does all the time, she naturally presses buttons and holds them down for a second or two, then looks at the screen to be sure it's done something, and only when she sees the result does she let go. This is works fine unless the button auto repeats, when it becomes an unmitigated disaster. I've tried to train her out of it and to press buttons normally, but she just can't do it. It was my dad that suggested just using the HDR Fox T2 all the time even to watch TV. When I got an HDR Fox T2 for my Aunt who is even more easily confused, we decided to go straight to the "use this to watch TV all the time" option.

Some TV remotes have a TV button which switches to the last TV channel watched and AV button which selects the last non-TV source used. I'm pretty sure this is what my neighbour's Panasonic TV does with its pair of buttons labelled Input.
Our Philips TV remote just produces a list when the single Input button is pressed.

My LG is equally a pain to switch inputs: it puts up a series of icons and you have to step through them with the cursor. Worst of all are the ones which step through all the inputs before you get to the one you want, with a pause each time before pressing the button again :(

...Our Philips TV remote just produces a list when the single Input button is pressed.

We have a Philips TV. Although I have used a Harmony 785 remote control for years now, I previously used a One-for-All. With the One-for-All I found the 'KeyMagic' code that directly selects the AV Inputs rather than scrolling through the list. When I started using the Harmony, I used the One-for-All to 'teach' it the correct codes for AV input selection.

I have simply assigned a button on my Harmony remote that directly selects the correct HDMI input on my TV, one button press, brilliant.

I have tried to find the 'KeyMagic' codes for you, but as I did this a few years ago, I cannot find the paper I noted them down on. I will keep looking for it and if/when I find it, I will post the codes here for you if you wish. Just don't hold your breath!

We have a Philips TV. Although I have used a Harmony 785 remote control for years now, I previously used a One-for-All. With the One-for-All I found the 'KeyMagic' code that directly selects the AV Inputs rather than scrolling through the list. When I started using the Harmony, I used the One-for-All to 'teach' it the correct codes for AV input selection.

I have simply assigned a button on my Harmony remote that directly selects the correct HDMI input on my TV, one button press, brilliant.

I have tried to find the 'KeyMagic' codes for you, but as I did this a few years ago, I cannot find the paper I noted them down on. I will keep looking for it and if/when I find it, I will post the codes her for you if you wish. Just don't hold your breath!
Thank you. I'd be pleased if you found the codes, but I'll also have a look at the One-for-All website.

I've discovered that the Harmony remotes support the assorted Philips TV inputs directly so I think I'll go for the 600 and put my HiFi on as well.
Thanks for you comments / help

Good. I cannot find the codes! I have them programmed in now so don't know what they were/are.

Yes, I am not too sure about this, but I think that the Harmony database gets updated by users. So, for example, if use my original remote control to teach the Harmony a code that is not already known to the Harmony. That code is automatically added to the on-line database for others to enjoy.

That is all supposition on my part, but I suspect that's what happens.

Back