No auto switch TV input?

BJB

Hi
I have recently replaced my PVR9200T - connected to the TV via SCART - with the HDR-FOX T2 - connected via HDMI cable. With my previous set-up, when I switched on the PVR from standby, the TV input source automatically changed to the SCART. This does not seem to happen with the new set up. Is this a 'feature' of using HDMI? Or am I missing some setting on either the PVR or the TV?

I appreciate that I just need to manually change the TV input, but this might be a step too far when I have to explain it all to my technology-challenged other half. :)

Hi
I have recently replaced my PVR9200T - connected to the TV via SCART - with the HDR-FOX T2 - connected via HDMI cable. With my previous set-up, when I switched on the PVR from standby, the TV input source automatically changed to the SCART. This does not seem to happen with the new set up. Is this a 'feature' of using HDMI? Or am I missing some setting on either the PVR or the TV?

I appreciate that I just need to manually change the TV input, but this might be a step too far when I have to explain it all to my technology-challenged other half. :)
The feature you ask about is called Consumer Electronics Control (CEC for short). It was designed to work in the way you expecteded, but it has been implemented in slightly different ways by every manufacturer, resulting in non-compatability between products unless from same maker. A total and complete c*ck up. Up to now I hnow of no TV that is CEC compatible with the Humax boxes although it is supposed to be implemented.

You can just leave the TV looking at the Humax all the time and use the Humax as your tuner.

Yep, I had the same frustration when I got my new hd tv and noticed this.
I kicked off a strongly worded email to the hdmi consortium using their website, but even that came up with and error and emailed me my own comment lol
It's something they "should" fix by telling all their licencees to do it in a certain way that works with all equipment, but I wouldnt get any hopes up.

The feature you ask about is called Consumer Electronics Control (CEC for short). It was designed to work in the way you expecteded, but it has been implemented in slightly different ways by every manufacturer, resulting in non-compatability between products unless from same maker. A total and complete c*ck up. Up to now I hnow of no TV that is CEC compatible with the Humax boxes although it is supposed to be implemented.
Couldn't agree more. Imagine my surprise then when I noticed that my new HDR-Fox-T2 (as opposed to the PVR-9300T which it replaced) _did_ switch the TV to the HDMI input when I switched it on (whether from off or standby).:cool: The TV is a Toshiba 37VX635DB.

It's OK I suppose, but it always used to tee me off if the TV scart-switched just because I turned on the VCR to set up a timer. I think I prefer to select the input myself.

It's OK I suppose, but it always used to tee me off if the TV scart-switched just because I turned on the VCR to set up a timer. I think I prefer to select the input myself.

My VCR only scart switches when I press Play. My parents VCR is even more sophisticated, it only scart switches when it detects valid video. So if you play a blank tape it doesn't switch, but it does switch when it detects valid video 10 to 15 seconds into pre-recorded tapes. I was pleasantly surprise by this level of sophistication in a VCR.

Couldn't agree more. Imagine my surprise then when I noticed that my new HDR-Fox-T2 (as opposed to the PVR-9300T which it replaced) _did_ switch the TV to the HDMI input when I switched it on (whether from off or standby).:cool: The TV is a Toshiba 37VX635DB.

I could be like Panasonic TVs which HDMI switch on HDMI1 only whenever they detect a signal on it (ie. they don't use the CEC signals on HDMI1).

You can just leave the TV looking at the Humax all the time and use the Humax as your tuner.

That's exactly what my parents and my aunt are doing on their HDR Fox T2s. At one point I had my mum in tears on the phone because she couldn't watch her recordings. I tried to talk her through selecting HDMI1 on the TV, but she said the input menu just kept whizzing round and it took her 4 goes to get the right input. It turns out she was pressing and holding the input select button on the TV remote rather than just pressing it briefly. It's something she does all the time, she naturally presses buttons and holds them down for a second or two, then looks at the screen to be sure it's done something, and only when she sees the result does she let go. This is works fine unless the button auto repeats, when it becomes an unmitigated disaster. I've tried to train her out of it and to press buttons normally, but she just can't do it. It was my dad that suggested just using the HDR Fox T2 all the time even to watch TV. When I got an HDR Fox T2 for my Aunt who is even more easily confused, we decided to go straight to the "use this to watch TV all the time" option.

Can't understand why anyone would use their tv, different epg etc . Anyway came home from work " can't find my recordings " realised that tv had been switched away from the Hummy by accident. So my solution - remove aerial feed from the tv - no arial, no signal. TV now on the Hummy all the time

Can't understand why anyone would use their tv, different epg etc
1) Lower power usage;

2) Faster to get to breaking news coverage without having to wait for the PVR to boot up;

3) Able to watch any third channel live if the PVR is busy recording two programmes.

1) Lower power usage;

2) Faster to get to breaking news coverage without having to wait for the PVR to boot up;

3) Able to watch any third channel live if the PVR is busy recording two programmes.

1 ok
2 you mean to say you switch it off !!!
3 only valid reason but how often does that happen considering you can watch 3 rd channel whist recording the other 2 most of the time on your Hummy

I find this auto switching annoying as well but in my case it's the TV, my dvd used to switch my old tv but now I've got a brand new LG it doesn't av1 or av2 so it looks to me some set manufactures are now omitting this function, right pain in the ...., switches hdmi ok though.

Ha! I disconnected my TV from my aerial distribution and now I have ITV4 back! Recording Tremors tonight!! :)

1 ok (to low power usage)
2 you mean to say you switch it off !!!
3 only valid reason but how often does that happen considering you can watch 3 rd channel whist recording the other 2 most of the time on your Hummy

2. I always switch my Humax off (into standby) when not watching, as do my parents and aunt with theirs. This allows it to record with both tuners without the live viewing (that isn't being watched) stealing a tuner, a major issue.

Plus the Humax takes considerably longer to come out of standby than the TV does to switch on, and on my Aunt's system the TV and Humax take up to 5 seconds to achieve HDMI sync which is a bit traumatic when you're not sure if it's going to work at all.

So my solution - remove aerial feed from the tv - no arial, no signal. TV now on the Hummy all the time

I considered that. But the various Sony TVs our family has have much better signal diagnostics than the HDR Fox T2, in particular they quote the error rate both pre and post viterbi. This is fantastic, the pre-viterbi error rate shows how close to the edge of the digital cliff you are before breakup. On my TV the single remaining 16QAM mux (Sandy Heath interim arrangements) has a pre viterbi error rate of 0e0, whereas all the others have pre viterbi errors (some quite high).

My TV has a brilliant picture, but a horrible menu system, a nasty EPG, and you can't sort or delete channels. I always watch the Hummy.

And my family really misses the auto switch - we just used to turn it on and it worked. Fortunately, like most modern kids, my 7 year old is clever enough with tech to get his DVDs to play ;)

I always watch the Hummy.

Another reason to use the TV: the HDR Fox T2 has a loud and annoying fan, the TV is fan-less (which the Humax should be and could have been if only they'd put some ventilation slots in the top of the case).

Back