No channels available...

hairy_mutley

My HRD-FOX-T2 has custom firmware, including schedule backup etc.
I have taken it away from my home region (where I have no weight access; I have WiFi, but I don't have a dongle for the Humax).
I have retuned, but if I turn the box off, it says that there are no channels when I turn it back on. I wondered if it was something to do with an automatic schedule/channel restore, so I scheduled some programmes before I turned it off, but the result was the same.
Any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It would be a coincidence (but not impossible) if something had gone wrong with the tuning storage coincident with the move. But I am still wondering if it is an issue with the retune and region change... so, being being reset/restored at powerup.
But, as I tried to say (autocorrect not permitting!) I have no WebIf (strictly, no ethernet access, so no telnet etc.) so the only access I have is the SUI.

Whatever, but did you or did you not have tunefix installed before? You cannot fix it without at least telnet access. You could work around it by reinstalling the standard firmware temporarily.

I have tunefix installed.
Manual retuning is quite quick (especially with only 3 mux's here), so I can do that when I need. I can even leave it turned on.
A solution would be nice, but more than anything, I was curious about what was causing the problem.

A few quid and a couple of days in the post...

Don't you have anything with an Ethernet port at all???
Nexus 7 and a Samsung phone and no physical access to the WiFi hub. In any case, taking the unit back home next Saturday. But it would have been nice to understand why relocation seems to be a problem (probably not too many people have to worry about it....until they move home).

But it would have been nice to understand why relocation seems to be a problem
It deletes everything apart from your 'home' region unless told otherwise. If you you didn't tell it otherwise and you only have a 'foreign' region, then it deletes everything from that region and you end up with nothing.

It deletes everything apart from your 'home' region unless told otherwise. If you you didn't tell it otherwise and you only have a 'foreign' region, then it deletes everything from that region and you end up with nothing.
I presume that the 'home' region has been stored, that with ethernet access I could reset that, but in my case, the only option is to uncustomise?
That makes sense, not really any way that tunefix could infer that I wanted to change 'home' region ( except possibly that it would end up with an empty list... which would only work if you moved far enough!)

I presume that the 'home' region has been stored, that with ethernet access I could reset that, but in my case, the only option is to uncustomise?
Yes, and this came up in another topic very recently (amazing synchronicity).

It seems to me there is scope for a get-me-out-of-trouble dead man's handle on the custom firmware, operable even without network access. Suppose the CF could enable/disable itself at boot time depending on the presence/absence of a particularly named folder, somewhere out of the way like under My Photo. I favour the presence of a folder enabling the CF, that way a reformat kills it.

So, under My Photo, the presence of "[CF ENABLED - DO NOT DELETE THIS FOLDER]" lets the CF run from boot. This folder could be auto-installed during the CF installation process, or with a WebIF update.

Then, when problems like this arise, it is only necessary to delete that folder and reboot to restore non-CF functionality.

Unfortunately it may not be possible to apply this change without a significant proportion of existing CF users getting into trouble with it. The alternative is to have an off switch in the form of a "[DISABLE CF]" folder which has to be manually created. However, this leads to other possibilities for finer-grained control - how about:

[DISABLE CF]
[DISABLE TUNEFIX]​

etc?

af123

It seems to me there is scope for a get-me-out-of-trouble dead man's handle on the custom firmware, operable even without network access.
We already have safe mode which boots with all custom firmware services disabled (apart from a simple web interface presenting the option to boot in normal mode next time). The only bit missing is the ability to initiate this without network access and that could be done via a .spk file on a USB drive inserted while the system is running (if I were to prepare one).

The problem with that is if the user in question doesn't have the facility available to create a suitable UPD. My suggestion is available via the SUI.

The problem with that is if the user in question doesn't have the facility available to create a suitable UPD. My suggestion is available via the SUI.
It is, but would need a firmware update to support it. I can create the .spk files this evening and they will work with anything over 3.10.
The SUI method can be added to the next CFW release whenever that is.

That's not going to help the OP in his current situation, but I don't think anything would help the OP in his current situation (apart from a time machine or obtaining a WiFi dongle)!

Back