No channels being tuned

R7814N

I am now facing a new problem in that the Fox-HDR T2 goes through the procedure but does not find any stations when I do a station search. This results in no channels to play on the Humax and so the Humax can not be used to watch the TV or recordings.

If I take the aerial jack in to the Fox recorder and put it into the back of the TV, the TV can find about 70 channels.

With the aerial back in the Humax and I having switched to viewing the TV direct, the TV reports there are no stations and invites me to run the station setup, but none are found.

Is it correct for me to assume that the signal out aerial socket on the back of the Humax is not processed by the Humax? I have successfully checked the aerial connector lead between the TV and the Humax for continuity, via a volt meter. Your further help would be appreciated.

Robin

I am now facing a new problem
Your "new problem" has now been moved to a new thread.

Is it correct for me to assume that the signal out aerial socket on the back of the Humax is not processed by the Humax?
Depends what you mean by "processed". It goes through some electronics, certainly, so if the UHF input buffer is dead, or power is not being supplied to the buffer, you won't expect a signal on the HDR-FOX or the TV.

If I take the aerial jack in to the Fox recorder and put it into the back of the TV, the TV can find about 70 channels.
That does not seem many. Unless you are in a fringe area with only the main services, you should expect a couple of hundred.

Last edited:
the TV can find about 70 channels.
This doesn't make much sense. The main services on muxes PSB1,2,3 currently add up to 26+15+11=52, and the COM4,5,6 ones are 62+27+36=125, with the Local mux. adding another 5, so either 177 or 182 total (at least where I am in England).
It might help if you said roughly where you were, what transmitter(s) you receive from (and if a relay or a main station).
On the face of it, it seems like an aerial/cable problem, and it sounds like it might be, or have recently become, a bit marginal.

I am in N W London. The aerials in the area face South, presumably to crystal palace.

I agree that I should be seeing more channels, but those that were seen are not being retained into Fox. So when i restart the fox, there is a report that there are no channels available and I can no longer successfully search for any channels. The lack of retention is more important to me than the number of channels. In practice, I only need about 7 specific channels.

I am in N W London. The aerials in the area face South, presumably to crystal palace.
OK, so there shouldn't be any problem whatsoever. How many channels do you get on the TV?
I agree that I should be seeing more channels, but those that were seen are not being retained into Fox.
You said earlier that it wasn't seeing any. So which is it?
You need to be much more precise about everything. It's all far too vague at the moment for anyone to guess.
Do an auto-scan, see how many you get, reboot, then see what the difference is. If you can look at the Mux Info screen on the WebIf's Diagnostic page (and/or provide screenshots) before and after, then that may give some clues.
You haven't got a misconfigured tunefix setup on there have you?

Quoted for information:
Thank you for your comments.

This is the current situation:

The TV taking its tv signal direct from the aerial, without the Fox attached, registers about 70 channels.

The TV with the aerial going first to the Fox and then on to the TV can not see any channels.

The TV using the Fox as a tuner can not see any channels.

I hope that is clearer for you.

I have just browsed to the Fox and found the following messages:

26/03/2024 17:30:57 - DetectAds: Contents sharing disabled, Enable via Humax Settings menu (11 instances)
Your Humax crashed and some packages may have been disabled as a precaution.
... view the crash.log for more details.
29/03/2024 04:23:07 - Automatically upgraded package webif from 1.5.2-10 to 1.5.2-11
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/10760/
29/03/2024 04:23:08 - Automatically upgraded package jim from 0.82-4 to 0.82-5

Tunefix was not installed. I have now installed both Tunefix and Tunefix-update.
The crash log only contains this note: Humax crashed at Thu Mar 28 22:09:21 UTC 2024 - Uptime: 923

I hope the above helps in finding the cause of the missing channels.

In the meantime, I have restarted the Fox. An error message shows there are no channels. On running the search, no channels are found.

Robin

I have now installed both Tunefix and Tunefix-update.
That was not an instruction, and having those installed is a very bad idea until the tuning is stable (and a bad idea unless you understand what they're for and how to use them). Remove them immediately.

The TV taking its tv signal direct from the aerial, without the Fox attached, registers about 70 channels.
At first sight, 70 is not enough and suggests you have a poor signal or poor antenna / cables. You've been asked for more information, and if you won't supply it we can't help you.

It should be 182 on the TV. You need to fix the signal, whatever the problem is. It is pointless trying anything else until this is done.
Is the aerial in the loft or outside? How old is it and the cable from it? Has it been damaged and/or got water in? Is the wall socket/flylead in decent condition?
If you need a man with a ladder and a meter, then so be it.

Following your last reply I will test the fox on another location and a different TV set. In the meantime i will remove the tunefix apps.

Thank you for your help and comments, BTW in case it was not clear at present doing a channel scan produces no channels.

Robin

Definitely an antenna (aerial) problem I'd concur.

Check and remake the connections from it first... wallplate / aerial plug. Many, many reception problems are down to dodgy connections. https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/how-to-attach-wire-up-plugs-aerials-and-wall-plates show how to (for diy).

Only if the 'other location' is a different antenna might it prove something useful.
If there is more than one TV outlet in the dwelling fed from the same antenna (i.e. there is not multiple antennas on the dwelling) then the splitting of the signal must also be investigated (whether passive or powered by an amplifier/booster).

Back