No internal disk found?

PiqueABoo

Latest production web-if 1.4.1-5 but was the same with the immediately previous release.

I consistently get this message from web-if when I:

• Turn the box on and point a browser at web-if shortly afterwards
  • Restart the box via web-if
  • Start the box if it's gone to sleep with the web-if open in a browser
In all case if I fire up a browser and point it at the web-if a few minutes later (not sure how many) then it all looks and works fine.

Does anyone have any clues about why?

Your HDD is taking longer than expected to initialise. I'm not sure whether that indicates a problem with the HDD, or if it is a characteristic of it.

Is this the original drive? Get the disk diagnostics data from WebIF >> Diagnostics and report the SMART stats,

Last edited:
This sounds very much like the same issue I reported in the CFW V3.11 Released thread - Setup Hosts taking a good minute to initialise and the Web IF serving up 'No internal disk found' until it does. although the machine will play back from disk OK in the meantime.

I was advised to look in modinit.log which revealed the delay, although why [the delay] remains a puzzle.

Last edited:
I think you are getting two DNS timeouts of 30 seconds each. I'm going to change it do skip DNS lookups in 'setup hosts'

I think you are getting two DNS timeouts of 30 seconds each. I'm going to change it do skip DNS lookups in 'setup hosts'
Any quick way of checking that?

I've been wondering what's recently changed here or could this have been happening for some time.

Other than CFW changes the only recent change was my updating the DNS settings in the router, which I'd not done for some time. This was triggered by my changing from BT Infinity to the PlusNet equivalent mid-Feb. The setup remained the same, with my Linksys router connecting via the BT HH5/PN Hub One which sits on its own sub-net and effectively acting as just a modem. The Hummy is manually configured with the DNS set to the same as the primary one on the router.

As for whether I was missing it before, I don't know. The Hummy lives downstairs and the main PC is in the office upstairs but it only takes 20 seconds to get upstairs and seated so you'd think I might have spotted it - but then I can't say for sure if I've tried to access it immediately after booting it before.

Do you mean you have set dns on the hummy to the plus net dns ip ? On my box dns is set to the router (ie, 192.168.1.154) which is also the gateway ip address.
Perhaps you could try setting the hummy to use dhcp and, if you want a static ip for it, set that on the router and not on the hummy

I am a little naive about that kind of thing, but I presumed AF meant that the Humax code is going through the gateway to access an external DNS during startup, and the DNS is slow to respond (or does not respond at all and the Humax code takes an age to stop waiting). I am convinced the Humax code is buggy in the networking area, only really working well as long as there are no fault conditions detected.

It should be fairly simple to diagnose this - try starting up with the network disconnected (obviously the network then needs reconnecting to be able to check the result).

Do you mean you have set dns on the hummy to the plus net dns ip ?
No - it's set to 194.74.65.68, a BT Broadband DNS server that gave the best results when I last ran Namebench. The router's internet IP address is set to the Plusnet Hub One on its own subnet at 192.168.100.1.

I am also on plus net.
When I ping 194.74.65.68 it times out. Tracert is:

C:\Users\*****>tracert 194.74.65.68

Tracing route to ns6.bt.net [194.74.65.68]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms bthub [192.168.1.254]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 8 ms 8 ms 7 ms be3-3100.pcn-ir01.plus.net [195.166.143.128]
5 10 ms 11 ms 9 ms core1-BE1.colindale.ukcore.bt.net [195.99.125.1
2]
6 8 ms 9 ms 8 ms core3-hu0-8-0-0.faraday.ukcore.bt.net [195.99.1
7.36]
7 9 ms 9 ms 8 ms 195.99.127.97
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 195.99.127.97 reports: Destination net unreachable.

Trace complete.

Perhaps try another dns server ?

This might be of interest (although from 2013):
http://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/BT-DNS-servers/td-p/1044721

Tracing route to ns6.bt.net [194.74.65.68]
...which proves it can do DNS lookups.

It seems for some reason that DNS lookups aren't working during startup. It's really a CFW bug - it shouldn't rely on DNS being present at all to get things up and running.

I am also on plus.net if I use nslookup I get

C:\Users\Martin Liddle>nslookup bbc.co.uk 194.74.65.68
Server: UnKnown
Address: 194.74.65.68

*** UnKnown can't find bbc.co.uk: Query refused

which doesn't sound good.

I am also on plus.net if I use nslookup I get...
But when I try it I get:

C:\nslookup bbc.co.uk 194.74.65.68
Server: indnsc41.bt.net
Address: 194.74.65.68

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: bbc.co.uk
Addresses: 212.58.246.78, 212.58.246.79, 212.58.244.22, 212.58.244.23

Apologies for the multiple edits - the editor insisted on appending an extra /qu.te to the end of my comment.
It does that if you bugger up the original end-of-quote tag - any tags that remain open when you submit the post get close tags appended, which leads to unexpected results (at least, unexpected to those not au fait with the XenForo post editor).

The usual cause is being inaccurate in reducing the original quote to the relevant part- be careful not to erode the [/QUOTE] at the same time. For more info see Newbies' Guide to the Forum (click).

I have the new CFW built but need to do some more testing since it also includes a couple of back-ported kernel security fixes. (In this world of vulnerable IoTs, I'll do what I can to make this ToI secure).

One thought - do the people with this problem use wired Ethernet or a wireless dongle?

Back