No-ip (dynamic IP address service, similar to dyndns.org but free)

Jason_a69

Hi there,

Bought the recorder yesterday, up and running last night and now compling things on it today :)

So, as mentioned in the title , you can create an account with no-ip.com and have an agent running on a PC / Mac (now Humax) that will update a dynamic DNS record to the ip address that your home router is currently set to. For example, you can set up a hostname such as <myname>.serveftp.com on no-ip.com and then point your web browser to <myname>.serveftp.com when you are out and about, you can access your Humax box.

** Big warning!! **
If you are not comfortable with Makefiles and C code, I do not recommend that you proceed any further. My ideal intention would be to communicate with the clever people on this site and have this procedure automated in a package that can be downloaded and installed from the web front end. However, here is what I did anyway if any of you want to try it out.

Pre-requisites
1. Install and configure the customise firmware
http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Install_Modified_Firmware

2. The web interface
http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Install_Full_Web_Interface

3. I also recommend adding a password to the front end
http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Password_Protect_the_Web_Interface

4. Forward port 80 on your router to the Humax.

5. Download and install the gcc compiler

6. Go to no-ip.com and set up an account. Make sure you click on the "host/redirects" tab and create something there.

7. Download noid-duc-linux.tar.gz from the no-ip site, I copied it to "My Music" temporarily (I have Samba running on the Humax). I then telnet in and moved it to /mnt/hd2/mod/jason. Unzip and untar it and you end up with /mnt/hd2/mod/jason/ (or your directory equivalent)
noip-2.1.9-1

8. Time to change some code.

Makefile to match these lines
PREFIX=/mnt/hd2/mod
CONFDIR=${PREFIX}/etc
BINDIR=${PREFIX}/bin

noip2.c
I had problems reading input from the command line originally so I decided to change the source code (sledgehammer and nut spring to mind). Anyway, I changed lines 381 & 382 so that they look like this

char *supplied_username = "<yourname>";
char *supplied_password = "<yourpassword>";
You should now be able to run
make install
This will create
/mnt/hd2/mod/etc/no-ip2.conf (the contents of which will be encypted)
/mnt/hd2/mod/bin/noip2
9. Start up script, this is needed so that the noip service is started when you reboot.
Contents of /mod/etc/init.d/S98noip
#######################################################
#! /bin/sh
# . /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions # uncomment/modify for your killproc
case "$1" in
start)
echo "Starting noip2."
/mnt/hd2/mod/bin/noip2
;;
stop)
echo -n "Shutting down noip2."
kill /mnt/hd2/mod/bin/noip2
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop}"
exit 1
esac
exit 0
#######################################################
Also make sure it has the correct permissons (755) and the correct owner/group (root:root)
10. Wrap up
The ultimate test is to reboot your box and see if the service has started. You can also log into the no-ip website and see when an update was last done on the DNS record you created, it will not update the time stamp if the ip address has not changed since the last poll.
Ok - good luck everyone, I hope this adds some value.
Jason

Can you confirm which Humax box you are using, as you have posted in the Foxsat HDR forum, but your links refer to the Freeview HD or HDR-FOX T2 boxes. I can easily move this thread to the appropriate Freeview forum if required.

Can you confirm which Humax box you are using, as you have posted in the Foxsat HDR forum, but your links refer to the Freeview HD or HDR-FOX T2 boxes. I can easily move this thread to the appropriate Freeview forum if required.

Ooops, sorry Brian. I am using a HDR-FOX T2.

No problem, I will move the thread to the HD/HDR-FOX T2 Customised Firmware forum.:)

I have just realised this is necessary for me. When I leave the UK (certainly in China), I am unable to update my n0-ip address. I remember getting the message 'Update your service or lose it within 14 days' (or words to that effect). I must wait for the 'clever people' to come to my rescue :) (once again)

Barney's right, the existing inadyn package supports a number of dynamic IP services such as no-ip and dyndns, although the web interface configuration part only supports dyndns at present. For anything other than dyndns you need to manually edit the /mod/etc/inadyn.conf file - I'll update the package to support configuring more services through the web interface. Nobody has ever asked for anything other than dyndns so far, that's all, and with the advent of the RS portal the need became less.

It's nice to see someone diving in and compiling things themselves though :)

Barney's right, the existing inadyn package supports a number of dynamic IP services such as no-ip and dyndns, although the web interface configuration part only supports dyndns at present. For anything other than dyndns you need to manually edit the /mod/etc/inadyn.conf file - I'll update the package to support configuring more services through the web interface. Nobody has ever asked for anything other than dyndns so far, that's all, and with the advent of the RS portal the need became less.

It's nice to see someone diving in and compiling things themselves though :)

Ah, right, cheers af123.

I've just updated the inadyn package to include support for other providers in the web interface configuration:

dyndns.png

btw, dyn-dns.org is free for basic dynamic DNS use too.

I've just updated the inadyn package to include support for other providers in the web interface configuration:

dyndns.png

btw, dyn-dns.org is free for basic dynamic DNS use too.

Now this is what it's about - a bit of community sprit round here. Brilliant, thanks.

Yes another nail in the Toppy :(

Back