No matching key for decryption

Just some thoughts which may or may not help.
Thank you for trying to help.
Is the SkyQ output same as the previous box? Is it 1080p or is it higher?
Are the settings for the digital modulator still the same? Ie unchanged from the previous SkyHD box.
Are all HD recordings produced on the HDR from the digital modulator missing the HD flag? (Try different channels eg BBC1 HD, ITV HD , Sky1 HD on the SkyQ box).
Are all SD recordings fault free? And do they auto process without issue?

Verify or tweak the output HDMI settings for the SkyQ box.
Verify or tweak the output settings for the digital modulator.
Try some more HD recordings to see if tweaks made any difference.
All good sensible stuff which is why i went through most of this yesterday before I posted.

The slightly longer story is this..

Earlier in the year I still had a Sky+HD box and a cheaper modulator using 1080i.

During the summer I replaced the modulator and changed to SkyQ and 1080p. Yes, i know, three changes are not good.
So of course I realised that I needed to test which change had caused the issue.
1080i/p made not a jot of difference.
I dug out and wired up the old modulator with no settings changes except the UHF output channel so as to avoid a clash.
I admit I was expecting the modulator swap back to fix the problem but it didn't.
So it was the SkyQ box.

Testing this afternoon has shown that it doesn't make any difference what channel Sky Q is feeding the humax the file suffers the same fate of not decrypting and will not play on a pc when transfered.
A manuls decrypt works for any sky channel and fixes the recording.
Finally a side quest (may help diagnosis)
Record test clip1, say, 10 minutes BBC1 HD (101) on the HDR.
Does this auto decrypt ok?
Yes it does.
Transfer the decrypted test clip to your laptop.
It should playback fine (eg on VLC) and you should be able to see the media info etc.
Yes that works.

Connect HDMI from laptop to digital modulator (in place of the SkyQ source).
Playback the test clip1 and record using your normal SkyQ method (only this time you'll record the test clip1 from laptop via digital modulator to Humax HDR).
Does this test clip2 behave similar to test clip1 in terms of auto processing etc on the HDR?
After decrypt test clip2, transfer to laptop.
Compare file size and media info for the two test clips.

Side quest2 - when you're bored
Replace all SkyQ in this post with 'Q variety'.
Replace all SkyHD in this post with 'H variety'.
Replace all HDR with 'T2 variety'.
Did it make this post better or worst?

_

That !! is a good idea. I'll try that at some point but I don't think my laptop has HDMI I'll have to check. I'll get back on this one.
The thing is though, SKY+HD and the old mouluator just worked. SkyQ and the old or new modulator does not.

Cheers,

Bob.

Start an instant record, monitor a clock with seconds display and press stop - needs to be followed with choosing the recording to stop and confirm via onscreen display.
Oh I see, that gives me a clue. Must admit I had the idea in my head that if you stopped a recording ir deleated the recording, I'm sure I've encounterd that on some device.
Just one more question;-how have you set automatic decryption for the recording? I could choose to set it on the MyVideo folder but I've only set it on chosen sub-folders (series).
When someone on this forum told me how to set a folder to auto decrypt I firstly just tried it on a specific folder but it worked so well I just set it to the video folder and do the lot.

Thanks for all you help.

Cheers,

Bob.

The thing is though, SKY+HD and the old mouluator just worked. SkyQ and the old or new modulator does not.
Have you access to any other device that does have HDMI-out?
A Blu-Ray player, or a modern upscaling DVD player, or a tablet, phone, or media streamer?
That could prove the new modulator behaves in the same way as the old one.
Oh yes, I think you're right. It's upscaled by the sky box to sudo HD.
Put more succinctly than my wording.

This is looking more like Autodecrypt is not actually running!

Can you look at the Queue page on the webif and post a screen shot!

Can you also change under Auto-processing log level to Debugging information on the Settings page and then try another, short, SkyQ recording and then have another look at Auto.log

Ok done both of those, just hope these files upload OK

Cheers,

Bob.

Attachments

• Queue1.jpg
    Queue1.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 10
  • auto.log.txt
    69.3 KB · Views: 7
The slightly longer story is this..

Earlier in the year I still had a Sky+HD box and a cheaper modulator using 1080i.

During the summer I replaced the modulator and changed to SkyQ and 1080p. Yes, i know, three changes are not good.
So of course I realised that I needed to test which change had caused the issue.
1080i/p made not a jot of difference.
I dug out and wired up the old modulator with no settings changes except the UHF output channel so as to avoid a clash.
I admit I was expecting the modulator swap back to fix the problem but it didn't.
So it was the SkyQ box...
So you changed the Sky box (from SkyHD to SkyQ) and the digital modulator

I take the HDMI output from the Sky box and pass it thru a two way spitter. One output goes to the HDMI input on the TV and the other into a modulator like this one though I didn't pay that much for it. :) It is a double modulator and I used a much cheaper single unit for years.

The modulator produces a DVB-T mux suitable to add into a tv aerial distribution system and adds two channels to the TV choice. It has two HDMI inputs to feed them.
Is this the actual digital modulator you are now using? You do know that this has a record directly to USB storage device function thereby eliminating the need to feed it into the Humax HDR etc.

Thanks BH, that's a much bigger(!) clue.
Standard definition MPEG2 at fixed bitrate best quality, uses 4GB per hour (see the specs for a DVD-R minutes).
Now the DVB-T modulator is encoding HD to MPEG2 - and has the whole mux available for the one input HDMI stream.
We could easily expect TS file sizes exceeding 16GB/hour.
Auto-decrypt (and auto-shrink) fail if there isn't three times the file size in free hard drive space. If the OP doesn't have 50GB available, then one hour won't auto-decrypt (or proportional for whatever his recorded filesize is).
A couple of minor points..

It used to be the case that I had a single input modulator but now I'm using a dual input modulator that places two digital channels on the same frequency mux. So that halves the max data available worst case.

I currently have 602GB of free space on the drive, it's about a third full.

It will not decode less than 1 minute of video automatically but will decode over an hour if asked manually.

Cheers,

Bob.

So you changed the Sky box (from SkyHD to SkyQ) and the digital modulator
That is correct. It happened at different times during the summer. I have done a lot of testing with old and new modulators and they make no difference.
Is this the actual digital modulator you are now using?
It is yes.
You do know that this has a record directly to USB storage device function thereby eliminating the need to feed it into the Humax HDR etc.
I did not know that. I had seen that the USB port was for signage displays and had paid no further attention.
Thank you for pointing this out, II'll have a play later in the week.
Cheers,

Bob.

A couple of minor points..
Thanks, I did notice those clarified in earlier posts ;)
You do know that this has a record directly to USB storage device function
It may (or may not) be like most TVs' (major-name brands) record-to-USB function, where not only is the storage device format and filesystem (partition) not readable on a computing device, but also the files are encrypted to only playback on the original recorder.
So, not only can I record Freeview channels (and/or Freesat once connected to a dish) to USB memory stick using the Samsung smart TV to play back on it later, but I can't even see data on that stick connected to a PC - and it allegedly won't play on a Panasonic TV or even another Samsung.

But given the protection-defeating purpose of the device, it's very likely that it isn't so restricted.

Hi Guys,
Could do with some advice or maybe there's no solution to this.

Recording from a DVB-T modulator a 1080i or 1080p signal from a well known source of the "Q" variety is failing to auto decrypt with the error message : 'No matching key for decryption'.
The recording plays fine on the Humax but is labelled SD and not HD.
Transfering the ts file to a PC via samba confirms the file is still encrypted.
I've tried deleting and recreating sidecars - no effect till says SD not HD.

Tried a manual decrypt using the web interface. This runs smoothly to about 85% and then suddenly jumps to 100% but watching the files via samba I could see that the decryption file was still growing smoothly long after after the web interface said 100%.
When the decrypt file was the same size as the source original it stopped growing but the files did not swap in any way as I would have expected it left both as they were in the directory.
The decrypt file is indeed decrypted as proved when edited by video-redo after transfer to PC via samba.

When the edited file is returned to the Humax and new sidecars provided the recording is labelled HD.

What I would like to acheive is getting the auto decrypt to work if that is possible and understand why it thinks the file is SD and not HD.

I didn't have this issue before my wife wanted the "Q" version of source box.

Web interface version: 1.4.9-6
Custom firmware version: 3.13 (build 4028)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.13)
Loader Version: a7.34

Installed packages.
auto-unprotect 2.0.2
betaftpd 0.0.8pre17-5
boot-settings 1.0.4
disable-dso 0.3-1
disable-ota 1.0.3-4
dlna-filter 1.1.1
dlna-servername 1.0.3
dropbear-ssh 2020.79-3
fix-disk 0.5
newk 1.0.5-1
nicesplice-magic-folders 1.2
samba 3.6.25-1
sidecar 2.8
webif 1.4.9-6

Thanks for reading this and for any help you may give me.

Cheers,

Bob.
Perhaps you would be better off using a DVB T2 modulator, then the Humax may correctly identify your HD recordings from your Sky-Q box.

Are you sure the SkyQ setting is 1080p? (e.g. not HDMI 2.0.)
There is a chance it may be higher, because some SkyQ boxes are UHD. If so will your digital modulator cope?
Also have you double checked the HDMI splitter (just after the SkyQ box) may be causing the issue?
Try bypassing it so that SkyQ connects directly to HDR, make sure everything is 1080p, then manually record to HDR

Last edited:
Also have you double checked the HDMI splitter (just after the SkyQ box) may be causing the issue?
Try bypassing it so that SkyQ connects directly to HDR, make sure everything is 1080p, then manually record to HDR
Oops. Missed that detail buried in a later post.
I take the HDMI output from the Sky box and pass it thru a two way spitter. One output goes to the HDMI input on the TV and the other into a modulator like this
Yes, try without the splitter - SkyQ HDMI straight to DVB-T modulator.

It may (or may not) be like most TVs' (major-name brands) record-to-USB function, where not only is the storage device format and filesystem (partition) not readable on a computing device, but also the files are encrypted to only playback on the original recorder.
So, not only can I record Freeview channels (and/or Freesat once connected to a dish) to USB memory stick using the Samsung smart TV to play back on it later, but I can't even see data on that stick connected to a PC - and it allegedly won't play on a Panasonic TV or even another Samsung.

But given the protection-defeating purpose of the device, it's very likely that it isn't so restricted.

Whilst sorting our tea I did manage to have a try at recording on the modultor with USB.
It doesn't like NTFS. It does like fat32 not really a surprise but it does limit it to 4GB.
I've not tried it but I wouldn't expect it to like exFAT but I will try it out.

Transfering the USB fat32 device to the PC, the recording played out no problem.
So very cool except 4GB limit which is probably enough for Signage use.

Cheers,

Bob.

Perhaps you would be better off using a DVB T2 modulator, then the Humax may correctly identify your HD recordings from your Sky-Q box.
Yes, that may indeed be correct, it certainly has a logic to it. I've never ever seen a domestic (for want of a better word) T2 modulator, they're all 'T' as fare as i've seen, unles of course you know bettter.

I did though pick that modulator for other reasons including tht if you set the LCN it actually works and it uses upper and lower case characters and it's dual channel. the previous modulator was not a match for that.

Cheers,

Bob.

Are you sure the SkyQ setting is 1080p?
Well it was set to 1080p but is set to 1080i now, thinking this would reduce the data rate and file size. I'm now doubting myself on that.
(e.g. not HDMI 2.0.)
The significance of that is escaping me I'm afraid.
There is a chance it may be higher, because some SkyQ boxes are UHD. If so will your digital modulator cope?
Ours is UHD capable but it is set to 1080 and both the new and old modulators cope fine with either 1080p or 1080i surprisingly.
Not a bad idea that, I'll check it out.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Bob.

Ok done both of those, just hope these files upload OK

Cheers,

Bob.
OK so basic auto-decryption is working fine and it only the SkyQ recordings that are failing

Code:
02/10/2021 16:17:02 -  C: 2191   900  decrypt - /mnt/hd2/My Video/301 SkyQ Main_20211002_1614.ts
02/10/2021 16:17:02 - De-queuing 2191 - decrypt - /mnt/hd2/My Video/301 SkyQ Main_20211002_1614.ts
02/10/2021 16:17:02 - decrypt:  /mnt/hd2/My Video/301 SkyQ Main_20211002_1614.ts - has been indexed.
02/10/2021 16:17:02 - decrypt:  DECRYPT: /mnt/hd2/My Video/301 SkyQ Main_20211002_1614
02/10/2021 16:17:02 - decrypt:system key doesn't match, trying direct
02/10/2021 16:17:02 - decrypt:  Direct decryption
02/10/2021 16:17:03 -     FAILED - No matching key for decryption -
02/10/2021 16:17:03 - Auto de-queue processed 1 item in 0.867 seconds.

My suspicion is that the ts getkey call is for some reason failing for you file leading to the decrypt:system key doesn't match, trying direct message

I think if it actually tried the dlna decryption it would actually work evidenced by the ability to playback and that manual decryption starts to work until the timeout problem

To try this in a humax command prompt using the URL shown in the webif for one of your SkyQ recordings
Code:
cd /media/"My Video"/
wget http://192.168.1.76:9000/web/media/11796.TS

Last edited:
OK so basic auto-decryption is working fine and it only the SkyQ recordings that are failing
Yes, that's about the strength of it. It seems that:
1080i/p
Free to view, free to air, or premium sky channels (provided I'm paying for them)
Old cheap modulator or new dual more expensive modulator
All of those make no difference at all. The only thing that does is moving from Sky+HD to SkyQ.
My suspicion is that the ts getkey call is for some reason failing for you file leading to the decrypt:system key doesn't match, trying direct message
I think if it actually tried the dlna decryption it would actually work evidenced by the ability to playback and that manual decryption starts to work until the timeout problem
Sounds reasonable to me

I said earlier, this isn't a brick wall encryption problem, it's a misinterpretation problem.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Bob.

Conceivably assumptions are being made in either the ts class, which uses the hmt program to instantiate a ts object from the filename, or in the stripts program, or both. For instance, stripts might not understand the specific format of .ts file being written.

It could be useful to show the output of hmt -p tsname for a tsname.ts that doesn't get decrypted.

In case somebody hasn't said this already: WebIF Auto-Decrypt relies on the DLNA server to decrypt and output the TS. If the DLNA server won't serve the file, then auto-decrypt won't work and your stuck with manual decryption by stripts (which IIRC can be invoked using sweeper). One way to prove whether the server is unhappy with those recordings is to use a DLNA client and see what happens trying to play it.

The DLNA server could be unhappy for several reasons, not exclusively the metadata.

Back