No media just empty folders on NAS

Joe H

I just bought a WD My Cloud NAS and copied a lot of shows and music onto it. On my NAS I also have Plex Server installed, apart from the NAS's own Twonky server.
My problem is when I tried to view or listen to those files the directory shows only the show/music folder names but no files inside. I tried both the My Cloud and Plex servers both but result is the same.
Is there something particularly needs setting up?

How are you accessing the NAS - Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network?

You definitely ensured the content you transferred was decrypted?

You will probably do a lot better by mounting the NAS as external storage rather than trying to stream by DLNA, assuming you are using or prepared to use custom firmware. See Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click) post 2, under "Recommended Packages", network-shares-automount.

Yes, that's how I connect to the NAS. Don't think there're other ways connecting to server?
Not sure what you meant by my files are decrypted. The music are all converted fron CDs myself and video are mainly downloaded from the net in different formats. Both type of files play fine on the Humax when connected via USB drive and WD TV media player.

Yes, that's how I connect to the NAS. Don't think there're other ways connecting to server?
I've got news for you - look into my other references. The Humax DLNA client is fussier about formats than the direct file player.
Not sure what you meant by my files are decrypted. The music are all converted fron CDs myself and video are mainly downloaded from the net in different formats.
OK, I didn't know whether you meant recordings moved from the HDR-FOX. They are encrypted as recorded, which you will soon find out if you read the stuff I've pointed you at.
Both type of files play fine on the Humax when connected via USB drive and WD TV media player.
In which case they will also play if you mount the NAS using network-shares-automount.

Well in that case I shall give the auto mount a try then.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Just installed the custom firmware and auto mount package. However I'm not sure if I've set it up properly though cause no external showed up.
I've used the nfs folder, within that folder I created new folder name My Video (could the be named differently?)
Folder=My Video. (Should this be the name of the folder I want to share?)
Host=IP of my NAS (do I need to specify which folder?)
The rest I just left unchanged.
I presume when I press the blue button, the drive should come up between HHD and Network?

So I take it you have not read the instructions linked from the guide?
network-shares-automount

Far more versatile (but far more complex) than foxlink, this package can be used to make any NAS on your home network (including shared folders on a PC, or other HDR-FOXes with samba installed) accessible to the HD/HDR-FOX as if they were USB drives. See https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/network-shares-automount-package-released.1126/
...not just the first post - you will also need to read the comments in the examples linked from the first post, in particular:
Note that to make all this work, a real USB drive (UPD or HDD) must be fitted to the client unit. This is not an issue for HD-FOX (which requires a USB drive to be fitted in order to host the custom firmware), but catches out people trying this on an HDR-FOX. Alternatively, install the virtual-disk2 package on the client HDR-FOX (but this comes with its own set of problems).
I know you have not done this; if you had, the storage options would have included "USB" (whether a real USB device, or a virtual one created by virtual-disk2). I prefer to use a real UPD myself.

"Folder = My Video" is used when a HDR-FOX is being accessed as the "NAS". What your "Folder =" line should read is entirely dependent on your configuration.

For any more help specifically on network-shares-automount, please post in the relevant thread (having reviewed the information that is already there).

Last edited:
Back