No more package updates for Custom Firmware 2.xx (after March 2015)

I believe I captured the sense of the original version of the post well enough, and it doesn't claim to be a verbatim quote.

Just a quick reminder. This weekend is a good opportunity to upgrade if you're still on 2.xx and want to continue receiving package updates after the end of the month.

I'm currently on 1.02.29 running 2.14 which version do I need HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.32_mod_3.03.zip or HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.20_mod_3.03.zip?

thanks

I'm currently on 1.02.29 running 2.14 which version do I need HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.32_mod_3.03.zip or HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.20_mod_3.03.zip?

thanks
Pros and cons are summarised in the wiki here. HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.32_mod_3.03 is closest to what you have with respect to functionality. If you can cope with the slow-down in the EPG navigation I recommend HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.03 as it has a working version of iPlayer, plus other benefits as described in the above link.

Unless you have hearing problems then HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.32_mod_3.03.zip; iPlayer won't work but I assume you are aware of that.

The above is good advice, but the literal answer to this question is "either": any of the current custom firmware updates will install and run, there is no specific qualifying condition. All you need to do is choose between the various pros and cons of the standard firmwares on which they are based.

I'm currently running 1.03.12 / 2.23, but would like to downgrade to 1.02.32 when moving to 3.03 to see if it speeds up the TV guide.

I can't remember what the original FW was, but as I bought the machine in Nov 2011, I presume it will have been pre-1.03.06?

...and I don't have to do anything different beforehand if I'm downgrading rather than upgrading?

Thanks for the replies. I don't use iplayer on the hummy as it's built in to the TV.
I wasn't sure if I needed to update the box firmware to match those listed in the CFW lists....1.02.20, 1.02.32 or 1.03.12

Just spotted a typo in the CFW2.xx End of Life wiki,

Humax Version Advantages Disadvantages

1.03.12 (HDR)
1.03.02 (HD)

• Iplayer works[1]
  • Works with new vertical-tuner hardware
  • Fixes BBC3/4 HD recording problem
  • Slow on-TV Guide
  • Unattended retunes[2]
  • Audio description volume problem

1.02.32 (HDR)
1.02.31 (HD)

• Faster on-TV Guide (than 1.03.xx)
  • Iplayer no-longer works[1]
  • Unattended retunes[2]
  • Audio description volume problem
  • Problems recording BBC3/4 HD
  • Does not work with new vertical-tuner hardware[3]

1.0.20 (should this be 1.02.20?)
(HDR & HD)

• Faster on-TV Guide (than 1.03.xx)
  • Audio description better
  • No unattended retunes
  • Iplayer no-longer works[1]
  • Problems recording BBC3/4 HD
  • Does not work with new vertical-tuner hardware[3]

...and I don't have to do anything different beforehand if I'm downgrading rather than upgrading?
No.

I wasn't sure if I needed to update the box firmware to match those listed in the CFW lists....1.02.20, 1.02.32 or 1.03.12
It used to be the case, but the custom firmware download is now a complete stand-alone package including the standard firmware on which it is built.

Two last questions, so I can happily load 1.02.20 mod 3.03 on 1.02.29 without any issues and will the upgrade preserve any installed packages and settings?

Yes.

If anything does go wrong, run the "fix flash packages" diagnostic - that usually sorts it, and don't forget the power of "turning it off and on again".

Hi,

Final managed to find a moment to upgrade to CFW 3.03 based on FW 1.03.12 and yes my problem has returned.

When recording on BBC3 SD (please note not the HD issue) recordings have fail again. They are reporting "schedule recording was not broadcast, do you wish to play" answering yes and it reports " No AV".

I have no idea what's going on, I am making further test including on BBC4 which seems to be working but it can be intermittent, but two BBC3 recordings have caused issues.

Is there any advice or can a CFW 3.xx upgrade be made available based on FW 1.03.06 integrated or not?

UPDATE
The BBC3 recording showed that it had been decrypted, but no original copy was saved, it doesn't look as if it had happened. The logs do not show a recording had happened either.

Last edited:
The BBC3 recording showed that it had been decrypted, but no original copy was saved, it doesn't look as if it had happened. The logs do not show a recording had happened either.
It hasn't been decrypted then. This sounds like the same bug that affects the HD versions of BBC3/4 where it erroneously sets the Decrypted flag when the content is still encrypted. Running the fixencflags diagnostic ought to sort that out.

Hi,

Yes it doesn't look like the file was decrypted, but the humax box itself will not play the video. As the box can handle the encrypted files would the problem still be the same.

Having said that I will run fixencflags to see if it will make a difference, thanks for your suggestion.

Yes it doesn't look like the file was decrypted, but the humax box itself will not play the video.
No it won't play it, because the flag says it's Decrypted when it it's actually Encrypted. Why would it try to decrypt something that it thinks is already decrypted?
As the box can handle the encrypted files would the problem still be the same.
What? I have no idea what this malformed sentence means. Try putting some punctuation in for a start.

I have been running test recordings with 1.03.12 on BBC THREE and BBC FOUR (StDef) for the last month (in response to the previous report of this problem), and not had a single failure. There is something odd about your particular unit.

Hi,

Sorry prpr about the sentence, late at night and in a rush.

I did a further test and yes a BBC3 recording did fail as you stated and later on I also twigged about the flag being set comment and how the Humax will behave.

I ran, as instructed, fixencflags and it reverts the file to as showing not decrypted, the Humax will then play it. I then decrypted it and it worked again on the Humax and on my computer.

So the comment seems to be the DEC flag problem is with BBC3 and BBC4 when running on FW 1.03.12 either in SD or HD form. I now need to read up on here if I can fix it or if I will need to run fixencflags each time.

Thanks for doing the testing Black Hole, I can not say why it fails for me and not for others but your efforts and the efforts of all of you are appreciated.

I had the false 'Dec' flag problem again last week while recording on BBC Three HD after a retune:
False Dec Flag.png
I didn't need to run 'fixencflags' as the erroneous flag was corrected by the new version of the auto-unprotect package. I don't know if this also works with standard def. recordings.

Back