No signal or weak signal message

kesa78

Hi

I hope someone can help me, my box suddenly lost it's signal! All I have is a blank screen with the message no signal or weak signal. I have the HDMI cable running from the box to the back of the tv I have unplugged both the HDMI and arial cables but no joy also switched the box on and off again still no joy. I have switched to digital on my tv and there is no problems with getting a signal at all.

Any ideas would be helpfull?

Thanks

you could connect the Humax to your TV via a Scart lead (rather than HDMI) temporarily to see if the problem is HDMI handshaking, If that works you could re-try the HDMI using different settings on the Remote Control >> V-Format button

This is not a HDMI issue, "no signal or weak signal" is the message the HD/HDR-FOX displays on-screen when the aerial feed is weak (or non-existent). If the same aerial lead plugged into the TV produces a good picture (on the same channel), I suggest retuning.

Check your aerial, the last time we had this is ours had blown down in the wind.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

This is not a HDMI issue, "no signal or weak signal" is the message the HD/HDR-FOX displays on-screen when the aerial feed is weak (or non-existent).

Had it occured to you that the ' message no signal or weak signal' may be being produced by the TV and not the Humax?

If "weak signal" could possibly apply to an HDMI input I'll eat my hat. Unplug an HDMI and the TV says "no signal". The "weak signal or no signal" message is exactly what you get if you unplug the aerial lead from the Humax - try it!

If "weak signal" could possibly apply to an HDMI input I'll eat my hat.
Its those cheapskates at freeview using weak bits again.

On the other hand he could just have a weak signal.
Go to "menu/system/signal detection" and see what the various channels say.

If they are all zero you have a serious problem (assuming you've tried another hdmi cable)
If they are all just low I would not be at all suprised - I'm strugglint to get 60% on any channel at the moment.
Some cant even make 55% and that is using an amp. During the olympics they were in the 90's

Either way power cycle the humax then check your aerial is good and the plugs on the cable. If your TV is new(ish)
you may get a picture even if the humax cant as their signal amps are much better these days.

One of my charges had similar issues a while back and he had managed to plug his aerial into the RF out socket
If you can find something else to test the hdmi input on the TV do that
Also check your TV is switching to HDMI not a bluray player or whatever when you plug in. (most likely cause in my experience)
Failing all that see if you can test the humax on a neighbours TV.
Swap things out until you can identify which bit is going wrong but do the easy things first.

Any chance that that last Wednesdays auto-retune has occurred without the OP noticing and it has locked onto the wrong transmitter? That may be an explanation why the Hummy is reporting bad signal (autotune occurred onto the wrong transmitter) and their TV is still OK (no autotune and still happy with the transmitter it's using.

Hi
Thanks for all the replies. Well, after signing up here and asking the question, I decided to check the signal strength for the channels/transmitter I was on was at zero so I selected one that had a signal. I then went to the TV guide, no programme information was showing, then whilst I was there the preview sceen in the top left corner started to stutter and a picture appeared and the programme infromation started to load up! I also did a retune. No problems since then.

I am still not entirly sure how the problem was solved, however it sounds to me like it was more to do with the signal than equipment.

Thanks for all your help.

I recommend you go through the full manual tuning procedure, which starts with positively identifying the correct transmitter channel numbers - not just for your area but for the direction your aerial is pointing. Write them down somewhere for future reference, and also any planned changes (which will also be listed in the information I'm about to direct you to).

Whenever the lords-high-and-mighty decide we have to do a retune (not just for frequency changes but also because they want to play around with service numbers or add another service we're not interested in), the Humax will say "I wanna retune" (possibly when you're not looking) and you have to let it at some point otherwise the message will keep coming back. Make sure you know what you have in your recording schedule though, because it will have to be reinstated afterwards.

Once the imposed automatic retune has completed, do the manual one yourself so you know everything is OK - and only after that reinstate your recording schedule. The "good" news is: we've got another retune on 16th October.

The manual tuning procedure is summarised in the Wiki HERE (click), or in more detail on the forum HERE (click). When you bring up the transmitter information for your area, check which of the listed transmitters your aerial is actually pointing at before you proceed - it won't necessarily be the one at the top of the list.

For further background reading, see Things Every HD/HDR-FOX Owner Should Know (section 2), and Non-Custom Protection from OTA.

I recommend you go through the full manual tuning procedure, which starts with positively identifying the correct transmitter channel numbers - not just for your area but for the direction your aerial is pointing. Write them down somewhere for future reference, and also any planned changes (which will also be listed in the information I'm about to direct you to).

{snip}

The manual tuning procedure is summarised in the Wiki HERE (click), or in more detail on the forum HERE (click). When you bring up the transmitter information for your area, check which of the listed transmitters your aerial is actually pointing at before you proceed - it won't necessarily be the one at the top of the list.

For further background reading, see Things Every HD/HDR-FOX Owner Should Know (section 2), and Non-Custom Protection from OTA.

Our aerial is pointing more-or-less North, which is consistent with the 7 degree bearing listed for Winter Hill. Despite which, the box seems to default to Sutton Coldfield, which is on a bearing of 138 degrees! The previous box had the same behaviour- does it just glom onto the first one with a half-decent signal?

Given the pixellation behaviour, though, it looks like the box is faulty (a hard restart clears it, so it doesn't seem to be a tuning issue). I think I'll get Amazon to replace it before we build up too many recordings- we have a few films on there, so I suppose I should copy those off elsewhere and decrypt them?

You need to decrypt the recordings before transporting them elsewhere, the original Humax is the only device that can decrypt them AT ALL. Are they HiDef or StDef?

If StDef, no problem - the process of copying them to a USB stick/drive will decrypt them (and they are unlikely to exceed the 4GB limit for FAT, NTFS is no use to you).

If HiDef, the options are limited (presuming you do not wish to install the custom firmware at this stage), refer HERE (click).

If you're on the Winter Hill Transmitter you're very likely to be tuned to Moel y parc. I'm afraid there is no option but to do a manual tune channels 54 (HD), 55, 58,59 61, 62

You need to decrypt the recordings before transporting them elsewhere, the original Humax is the only device that can decrypt them AT ALL. Are they HiDef or StDef?

If StDef, no problem - the process of copying them to a USB stick/drive will decrypt them (and they are unlikely to exceed the 4GB limit for FAT, NTFS is no use to you).

If HiDef, the options are limited (presuming you do not wish to install the custom firmware at this stage), refer HERE (click).

Why is NTFS no use? Because it will retain file security?

If you're on the Winter Hill Transmitter you're very likely to be tuned to Moel y parc. I'm afraid there is no option but to do a manual tune channels 54 (HD), 55, 58,59 61, 62

Is there an easy way to tell for sure? According to the DigitalUK site, Moel y parc is a different transmitter entirely. My aerial is pointed to Winter Hill (bearing of 7), as far as I can see, and Moel y parc is on a bearing of 282 from here, or 258 for the Wrexham transmitter. Am I missing something vital, here?

All the same, I'll try that, before I go to the trouble of sending it back.

The alternative is to let the Humax format a drive as Ext3 (or use Linux utilities to do it). That would be writable and support multi-gigabyte files (won't work on pen drives less than 32GB, and Ext3 is not very friendly to them either so you could use Ext2 in this case).

Back