No Signal

StephenG

My old HDR Fox T2 has no signal. I was wondering if this may be solved by re-tuning? Open to what the problem may be, it stopped working when I moved house but the TV works and has perfect signal? I can't get beyond the no signal screen to retune, is there another way. On the box itself the channels do seem to be registering? Thanks

It sounds like the no signal message is being displayed by your TV, if so it is saying that it can't 'see' an output from the Humax at all, this would not be telling you that the Humax has no signal. Can you try another way of temporarily connecting the Humax to your TV?, e.g. SCART or composite video via the Yellow Video connector?, as I guess at present you are connecting via HDMI

If you can't get an output from the Humax there's no point in trying to re-tune, even without tuning, the Humax will output video to display menus etc. When you power cycle the Humax, it should display the 'HUMAX' logo on the TV screen, if you can't see this then Humax is faulty

What is showing on the Humax box itself?
Does the power ring light up? does the panel show any messages? does it appear to respond to the remote? Can you hear the disk power up/down?

The Humax lists the channels eg. BBC 2 but it doesn't show up at all on the TV, I was able to flick up through the channels on the HUMAX but nothing on the tv

Any chance of trying with a different TV and cables?
Strange to get no output at all with either Scart or HDMI

Yes the channels are registering on the HUMAX, I can try on another TV tomorrow, I have tried all the input ports on the TV. Thanks for all the suggestions

Yes the channels are registering on the HUMAX, I can try on another TV tomorrow, I have tried all the input ports on the TV. Thanks for all the suggestions

How do you know? You said you moved house, does this mean you will be on a new transmitter as well, and you have retuned the TV? It sounds like the Humax could be showing 'BBC1' on its display for the old channel and needs retuning to a new transmitter.

I, too, have this problem on my HDR T2.
From time to time over several years I had No Sgnal problems on HDMI which were usually solved by a hard disk check and repair in maintenance mode. I fitted a different 1Tb disk which cured the problem for ages. Returning from a month away (with no recordings scheduled) I found that I not only had No Signal but also continuous reboot issues. I flushed the firmware and then reinstalled Custom Firmware 3.13 which has solved the reboots but when I switch on I get to WIZARD on the front panel but have no signal on any of the video outputs. No HDMI, no composite video and no SCART. I have tried different cables and different TV's with the same result - No Signal. The only glimmer is that our big Samsung TV does recognise the presence of the Humax - if the HDMI cable is plugged into the Humax I get "No Signal" whereas if I unplug the HDMI cable from the Humax the error is "No Cable Connected".
Without a video output I cannot configure the Humax! Specifically I cannot get even into WebIF as I have no idea of the IP address (even if Network is enabled following the effective factory reset). So I cannot telnet the machine. It feels as if I now have a brick.
Any thoughts? I might be able to source another hard disk and install that to see if it might enable the video output again. I suppose I might even be able to do a hard disk repair on a Windows PC using Knoppix and then try flushing and reinstalling 3.13 once again.
I don't want to abandon the "play anywhere" facility that I get on the HDR-T2. Any replacement will restrict playback to the new machine alone.
I would be very grateful for any advice that anyone might be able to offer.

If it is a HDD problem causing your difficulties, disconnecting the HDD will restore functionality (for everything except recording and time-shifting).

Hmmph! I unplugged the power plug and the SATA connector for the HDD and still no signal. Boot-up appeared normal gave the Ststem Starting, followed by Custem FW 3.13 and then nothing for a few seconds followed by WIZARD. No video output at all either during boot-up or once WIZARD appears.

When I was fiddling about with the case open a couple of days ago I did take the opportunity of removing the orange filter. My filter was retained merely with a film of adhesive around the edge so no cleaning was necessary. When doing that I was not able to disconnect the main connector of the front panel to the main board - the catch did not want to release but I am pretty certain that I did not damage any connections there. Your detailed instructions were invaluable for that. BTW, I had no middle screw retaining the front panel, nor any side clips. Slipping thin card under the catches let it slip off very easily.
I have not removed the main board to check for dry or corroded joints underneath. I think the latter is unlikely as the whole machine looks pristine inside - not even a scrap of dust. With the HDD connected I do hear it spin up and down normally. No sign of bulging or anything else on capacitors, though two pairs of small caps (ceramic not electrolytics) are each covered with some plasticky sealant.

Thanks again for your interest. and all the work you do on the forum.

Oh - what a mess this unit is! Before I did my initial post I had I tried all outputs with the HDD connected - No Signal consistently.
Earlier today I disconnected HDD but tried only HDMI - still no signal.
Just now I tried analogue output (phono) - BINGO - I had a signal. I got most of the way through the installation and then it re-booted (something warming up?). Next time through I got to network settings but could not apply without a network connection. Plug in network cable - reboot several times without properly starting. Eventually it did start and I went straight to Network settings, manually configured - Apply - "Network failed". However the settings have stuck so I should now be able to get in through the Ethernet connection.
It is now in a state where it reboots every minute or two - might stay up for a while and then reboots again. I did NOT switch to HDMI while the machine was up - I don't think I would have had time anyway before it re-booted. I have not managed to get anything on the scart socket (I was using a Scart to Phono adapter and the same video lead. Scart is set to CVBS, not to RGB in settings
Does all that help with diagnosis?

It is now in a state where it reboots every minute or two - might stay up for a while and then reboots again.
Does disconnecting the network stop the reboots? Does disconnecting the aerial stop the reboots? If no to both, you can try the system flush - but if that doesn't help either, suspicions fall on the hardware itself... possibly the PSU.

I only connected aerial for a short time because that appeared to stimulate the reboot. After that I skipped tuning. Network also seemed to stimulate reboot cycles so, once I had set Network address I disconnected that as well. Does manually set IP address survive a flush? I have already flushed once and reinstalled 3.13.
Somewhere on the forum I spotted DLNA issues but I cannot see where to turn it off, as was suggested. I did see that uPnP is set to off in settings.
I guess it is pointing towards PSU from what you say. Are new ones available from Humax or do I have to hope with buying a S/H machine on eBay?
Sorry - lots of questions there.

Back