Noise when system starts up and put on standby

pink boots

Hi.everyone. I would like to introduce myself. I am pink boots and hope I can get help with this problem. There is a screeching noise when system starts up and also when put in standby. Has anyone else had this problem?

I guess you are connecting from the Humax to your TV via a HDMI cable, it might be worth temporarily connecting to your TV via a SCART cable to see if you still get the same problem. If you don't get the problem using a SCART the problem is probably the Humax having difficulty sorting out how it is going to 'talk' to your TV. By the way it is not a good idea to have both HDMI and SCART connected at the same time

It couldn't be the fan could it? I know it doesn't normally run at startup, but if you have the FAN package installed it might be configured that way.

On one of my older boxes there was a kind of screeching noise when the fan started. At that time I didn't have the FAN package installed so it would be some time before the box warmed up enough to warrant the fan kicking in.

I replaced the fan in the end as it was getting annoying!

Just a thought.

Does it happen when the box wakes up by itself to make a recording?
Hi aft. no it happens when I start the the system from standby, and when I put it back to standby mode. The screeching lasts about a minute, then it stops. It is definately not the fan. It must be something to do with the hard drive. My son heard it and he seems to think it is the hard drive. This the second one I have had. I got the first one replaced because after a week the hardrive froze. I have only had this 1 since April. Argos will take back this one back also but I am warey about buying another Humax

I guess you are connecting from the Humax to your TV via a HDMI cable, it might be worth temporarily connecting to your TV via a SCART cable to see if you still get the same problem. If you don't get the problem using a SCART the problem is probably the Humax having difficulty sorting out how it is going to 'talk' to your TV. By the way it is not a good idea to have both HDMI and SCART connected at the same time

Hi Ezra. My Son set up the box and all worked well until a month ago. I will mention what you have suggested and see if that works. Thank you for your help.

I misunderstood your original post, I assumed the screeching noise was coming from the speakers on you TV. It now looks like the noise is coming from inside the Humax box itself, so disregard the SCART suggestion. It is unlikely to be the fan (when the unit is cold) so the only other item as you say is the hard disk, it sounds like a mechanical problem on the drive and I would get the the Humax replaced under warranty if possible. This is quite rare so I do think it is worth getting another Humax although you may be offered a HDR 2000T as a replacement as the HDR-Fox T2 is no longer a current model

Hi aft. no it happens when I start the the system from standby, and when I put it back to standby mode. The screeching lasts about a minute, then it stops. It is definately not the fan. It must be something to do with the hard drive. My son heard it and he seems to think it is the hard drive. This the second one I have had. I got the first one replaced because after a week the hardrive froze. I have only had this 1 since April. Argos will take back this one back also but I am warey about buying another Humax
If this noise occurs regardless of the TV being off, then we are definitely talking something mechanical and worthy of return.

No need to be concerned with getting another Humax, out of the hundreds of boxes owned by the members of this forum, I have never come across a similar report and conclude you have just been unlucky. However, it's increasingly difficult to obtain HDR-FOXes these days and you will probably end up with a HDR-2000T.

Argos seem to be still selling this one even though they say it is the newer one. Looking at the reviews, people have wondered about this because it still has the exact same specs as the Fox. I think they have still some Fox and trying to sell them off. I really like the Fox, I am not very tecky and even I found it so easy to use. If I can't get the Fox, then I am wary of this new one. The reviews I have read are not very favourable and lacking some of the features of the Fox. I'll see what Argos offers me before I decide. My son has just bought the one with u view, or whatever that means and he says that one is tempermental. Thank you for all your help and will let you know what happens.

I misunderstood your original post, I assumed the screeching noise was coming from the speakers on you TV. It now looks like the noise is coming from inside the Humax box itself, so disregard the SCART suggestion. It is unlikely to be the fan (when the unit is cold) so the only other item as you say is the hard disk, it sounds like a mechanical problem on the drive and I would get the the Humax replaced under warranty if possible. This is quite rare so I do think it is worth getting another Humax although you may be offered a HDR 2000T as a replacement as the HDR-Fox T2 is no longer a current model

Hi Ezra. Just replied to black hole about this. Argos has been advertising the new replacement for the Fox but seemingly it is the Fox people are getting instead, at this branch of Argos (Isle of Wight). I really like the Fox because, even I managed to use it so would like another one. I have read the reviews for the latest one but they are not very favourable. So I will see what they give me when I return this one tomorrow. I will let you know what one they offer me. Thank you also for your help.

The HDR-2000T does everything more-or-less identically to the HDR-FOX, but in a different package. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference just looking at the TV screen. However, it does suffer from one very significant defect at the moment - it will not pass through the TV aerial signal while in standby. Start up times are also bad, I understand.

mmm. I think then if I can't get the Fox will wait and see if people are finding other problems with the new model. With it being new there are usually teething problems at the begining.

The HDR-2000T does everything more-or-less identically to the HDR-FOX, but in a different package. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference just looking at the TV screen. However, it does suffer from one very significant defect at the moment - it will not pass through the TV aerial signal while in standby.
No display on the front panel and harder to tell what it's doing (only bi-colour LED). Matters to some.

Yes, they are definitely very slow to wake from standby.
Hi Brian. I found the same problem for the Fox T2. Mind you with it being the only model I have had I really can't compare it to the new one.l also had to keep turning it on and off several times before it finally came on properly. Would sometimes even just get a green screen. I think I might just stick to my old freeview box. LOL.

Back