Non-advanced packages

Just a couple or three that I have a bit of a problem with, or others might.
auto-schedule-restore - Automatically restore recording schedule on first boot following a retune. [Ignore disable OTA events]
What does the bit in [] mean?
auto-update - Automatically keep packages up-to-date. [Remove double anacron entry]
  • flatten - Flatten automatic directory hierarchy created during recording.
  • flatview - Create flattened views of recordings.
sysmon - System monitoring. [Use system smartctl]
What does the bit in [] mean? and where is smartctl?
tidy-folders - Utility to remove empty folders.
Automatically?
  • virtual-disk - Helper utility for creating a virtual disk.
  • virtual-disk2 - Helper utility for creating a virtual USB disk.
  • Why two and why do you need them?
Not even looked at the advanced.

Just a couple or three that I have a bit of a problem with, or others might.
You need to be looking at the proposed descriptions at http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/pkg.meta.14.txt
Hopefully they will make more sense. The bits in square brackets are changes from the previous version but you'll see they aren't there in the linked file.
flexview, inadyn, tidy-folders, virtual-disk may need more verbose descriptions.

Sorry about that af. I'll take myself off and have a look at the 'right stuff' and take 10 demerits for not doing so before opening gob.:oops:

OK. A couple more perhaps

arbookmarks { Automatically add bookmarks into padded recordings at Accurate Recording (AR) points following automatic decryption. }

auto-unprotect { Utility for automatically unprotecting high-definition files when they are recorded.} But does not decrypt them.?

I think those were AF's personal agenda for future tinkering.

auto-unprotect { Utility for automatically clearing the protection flag on recordings from HD services (note: recordings cannot be decrypted while the protection flag is set). }

virtual-disk...

Why two and why do you need them?

The original virtual-disk package was written so that the Humax thought it had two disks, enabling the option to copy a recording from one to the other triggering decryption on the way. It probably isn't needed any more..

virtual-disk2 does the same but makes the Humax think that the (virtual) drive is connected via USB. This is usually used in conjunction with network-shares-automount so that the Humax thinks there is a drive connected and then shows the drive related options in the interface.

virtual-disk...

The original virtual-disk package was written so that the Humax thought it had two disks, enabling the option to copy a recording from one to the other triggering decryption on the way. It probably isn't needed any more..

virtual-disk2 does the same but makes the Humax think that the (virtual) drive is connected via USB. This is usually used in conjunction with network-shares-automount so that the Humax thinks there is a drive connected and then shows the drive related options in the interface.
From the above discussion it would appear that the virtual-disk packages are candidates for the advanced list since I still don't know why I might need it since it is so easy to decrypt in place

auto-unprotect { Utility for automatically clearing the protection flag on recordings from HD services (note: recordings cannot be decrypted while the protection flag is set). }
But it has come up on forum that occasionally people thing that it does[/b[ do the decryption and need pointing in the right direction.

But it has come up on forum that occasionally people thing that it does[/b[ do the decryption and need pointing in the right direction.
I know they do - but my wording implies it doesn't, by using "protection" and "decryption" as clearly separate things.

Looks good to me - the enhanced explanations really make a difference. I now know precisely what each one does (at last !)

I know they do - but my wording implies it doesn't, by using "protection" and "decryption" as clearly separate things.
Yes that's my point, it implies. It does not 'state'. And you are habitually the stickler for precision and unambiguous statements and pick up people, often totally unnecessarily, for just that. What's wrong with adding "This does not decrypt the programme"? That leaves it totally clear and removes any possibility of confusion as to what it does.
Oh, I just realised, it wasn't your idea.

Seems to me a list of things various packages don't do would be rather extensive. I understand your point, but I'm convinced it is better to focus on what the particular package is for and not what it's not for.

I also see your point, but, as I said before, there have been several occasions where confusion has arisen between protection and encryption as they 'sound sort of similar' to the uninitiated and I was just trying to point out that unprotection is not decryption to absolutely and unambiguously make that clear. Anyway, enough bickering, we have both made our points, so let af123 decide.:)

I also see your point, but, as I said before, there have been several occasions where confusion has arisen between protection and encryption as they 'sound sort of similar' to the uninitiated and I was just trying to point out that unprotection is not decryption to absolutely and unambiguously make that clear.
I think it is a good point as it is a very common misconception for new users of the custom firmware.

It's a bit wordy but:

auto-unprotect { Utility for automatically unprotecting high-definition recordings on completion so that they can be subsequently decrypted in the same way as standard-definition ones. }

Stop after "decrypted"?
{ Utility for automatically unprotecting high-definition recordings so that they can be subsequently decrypted. }

Not possible on HD-FOX.
There is no need for the virtual disk package on the HD-FOX. In HDR mode (bootHDR) '/drive1/Video' is also mapped as the internal drive of an HDR-FOX. Copying from the mapped HDR '/media/My Video' folder to another folder under 'drive1' (I use '/drive1/Recordings ') with the remote control handset enables decryption.

Back