Non-advanced packages

undelete { Redirects deleted recordings to a dustbin folder and removes them a few days later, as an insurance against user error or custom firmware glitches. }
:eek:
I would delete "or custom firmware glitches". Doesn't create a good impression.

auto-unprotect { Utility for automatically unprotecting high-definition recordings on completion so that they can be subsequently decrypted in the same way as standard-definition ones. }
These things can be analysed to death, and one has to assume a certain level of competence in the reader, but for my money there's a problem with "unprotecting" (because it's not a standard English word that can be looked up if necessary) so I used "clearing the protection flag", and what a "high-definition recording" might be (when I used "recording from an HD service" - the public are used to HD as in BBC ONE HD so they don't need to know what it actually stands for). That's all I'm going to say.

Some of these are text changes, some just punctuation and other small tidying:

auto-unprotect { Automatically remove decryption protection flag from HD recordings. }
auto-update { Automatically keep installed packages up-to-date. }
cifs { CIFS kernel module - allows for mounting of remote SMB shares. }
detectads { Automatically detect adverts and insert bookmarks or delete adverts. Can run whilst recording is still in progress. }
disable-ota { Disable Over-The-Air firmware updates and optionally add an overnight reminder to cover the normal OTA period. }
network-shares-automount { Automatic mounting of remote NFS or SMB directories, with configuration on the box, using special "settings" directories to add and configure shares. Remote host(s) are "pinged" regularly, and shares are mounted / unmounted automatically with host availability. Wake on Lan also supported. }
ntfs-3g { Support for the NTFS filesystem. }
samba { SMB compatible file sharing server. }
sidecar { Recreates sidecar files (.hmt and .nts) from .ts source file. }
sysmon { System monitoring (CPU, disk, network). }
virtual-disk2 { Helper utility for creating a virtual USB disk. Enables disk-related options in the on-TV menus. }

Don't like this - describe what it does, not its life story:

redring { Allows for customisation of the front-panel displays. Originally written to display a red LED ring when recording in standby (hence the name) but can now do much more. }

Is there any point in having mongoose in the repository any more?

Some of these are text changes, some just punctuation and other small tidying:
Tweaked, thanks. Most taken as you have them above but changed ntfs-3g { Read/write support for the NTFS filesystem. }

network-shares-automount { Automatic mounting of remote NFS or SMB directories, with configuration on the box, using special "settings" directories to add and configure shares. Remote host(s) are "pinged" regularly, and shares are mounted / unmounted automatically with host availability. Wake on Lan also supported. }
Too long. Just

network-shares-automount { Automatic mounting of remote NFS or SMB directories, with configuration on the box, using special "settings" directories to add and configure shares. }

is enough, the rest can be looked up.

I really must finish my package to allow configuration through webif settings...

No, I think it's time it went.
There are 3 dependencies remaining:
custom-portal
new-portal
portal-xtra1

I'm not sure why they all depend on mongoose as they all depend on webif which itself depends on the web server.

Wouldn't they have to be rewritten if they were using a different web server? They're pretty much left behind anyway.

There are 3 dependencies remaining:
custom-portal
new-portal
portal-xtra1

I'm not sure why they all depend on mongoose as they all depend on webif which itself depends on the web server.
At some point, mongoose was updated to support something that the portal required. Probably the change to ignore authentication for connections from localhost; it's a long time ago.
The dependency can go now but do any of those portal packages still work?

At some point, mongoose was updated to support something that the portal required. Probably the change to ignore authentication for connections from localhost; it's a long time ago.
The dependency can go now but do any of those portal packages still work?

New-Portal still works on one of my machines, though I can't see many advantages over the native Humax portal. It refuses to install on my other machine after a webif reset - it complains about the absence of mongoose.

I tried portal-xtra1 on HD-FOX since new-portal claims to depend on a later version of Humax firmware than HD-FOX supports. A page displayed after navigating to TV Portal with the remote but no interaction seemed possible.

Presumably the threatened login-protected BBC iPlayer will fail to be ported to HDx-FOX, so removing the main reason for any version of TV Portal.

Back