1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odds and Ends

Discussion in 'The Hummy Arms' started by Meister, Jan 18, 2011.

1. A question that has baffled philosophers, scientists and other learned people over the ages is:

If you have 24 odds and ends on a table then 23 fall off what do you have left .............. an odd or an end ??? :D

Steve

2. gomezz

gomezz Well-Known Member

If you have counted and categorised them then they are no longer odds and ends.

3. Nobody likes a smart arse ;)

Steve

4. framedtoo

framedtoo Member

would they become bits & bats

5. MrPloppy

MrPloppy Member

Or just "stuff" ?

6. Oh I like that .......... STUFF ...... sounds like a new "techie" word .............

'hello this is the tech help desk, it appears you are having a "stuff" problem' :D

Steve

7. talos

talos Super Moderator Staff Member

Obvious, its an "end" because it's the last one:rolleyes: Simples!!

8. MrPloppy

MrPloppy Member

But, being the last ONE, that's an odd number, so the last one left is an Odd... right?

9. keithatrochdale

keithatrochdale Super Moderator Staff Member

No, because it is half of a pair and a pair is 2, so even. :D

10. Surely you have a table with a thingummy on it and a mess on the floor

11. MrPloppy

MrPloppy Member

This is giving me a headache. Why don't we just shove that last odd or end or stuff or thingummy or kack or odd sock or whatever it is, and shove it all on the floor with the rest of the odds and ends, and all go to the pub. First round's on me. :D

12. parish

parish Member

Ah, but the OP simply said "24 odds and ends", not "12 pairs of odds and ends" therefore he could have 23 odds and only one end :p

13. talos

talos Super Moderator Staff Member

Mine's an half:D

14. is that a half-full or a half-empty ?

15. Or perhaps the remaining one is halfway there .............. or even halfway back ???? :confused:

Steve

16. I'm lost:confused:

17. framedtoo

framedtoo Member

but if their are two (you and mate ) in the pub, and you have a half, and your mate has a pint, his half is a half, but your half to him is a quarter, so if he when to the bar and you asked for a half, would it be your half or his half, if it was your half he would save money.

i'll buy your a drink, and mines a pint

18. MrPloppy

MrPloppy Member

I remember a poster advert for something I forget, but it had "fluff' freeman (an old radio 2 dj who has sadly passed away now) and it just said:
    "A pint! Not half!"

One for the old-timers, I think! :D

19. keithatrochdale

keithatrochdale Super Moderator Staff Member

Fluff started on the Light Program and then onto Radio 1.

20. MrPloppy

MrPloppy Member

Ah right. I remember him on the pick of the pops that dale Winton does now. That was on radio 2... but that's yer man.. :)