Off Air Buffer Recording

Doppa

Why does the buffer disappear once a channel has gone off air? There was an item on Ideal World I wanted to save but it goes off air at midnight and although it was only 3 minutes past when I tried to rewind it the buffer had disappeared.

My 6 year old Hummy 9200T has finally gone the distance and I've just had the HDR-Fox T2 less than a week but I'm sure the Hummy would still record the buffer in this situation. Am I right? Is this normal operation for the HDR Fox T2 or a fault?

That's normal for the T2. It doesn't maintain a time-shift-record buffer for data services, and the channel effectively becomes a data service when it goes off air.
I often tune into an off-air channel to save hard disk activity when I just want to stream recorded content from my Humax.

Oh well, if that's normal at least I know the unit isn't faulty.

Have some niggles though compared with the 9200, especially the virtually non-existent clock display in standby! I've read I can take the orange panel off so I think I will definitely have to do that but I will wait till I've had it a while before attempting it, especially due to the warranty being invalidated.

I miss the clock display when it's switched on too. Surely there's room on the i-panel to show the time and the channel. Has anyone been able to "engineer" it yet?

I hate the way it scrolls when watching a recording so much that I reduce the title down to the first 6 characters to stop it then it just shows the time elapsed in a static display.

I can recommend going green with your display.

It sounds like you would like the "redring" package as this will help with your other niggles, although you will have to install the customised firmware first.

That sounds ideal Brian. I've been having a look at a few posts about Redring. The custom firmware package notes section mentions "VFD Display Brightness" and I'm assuming that is what I'm after but what does VFD stand for?

I've never been "under the hood" in my 9200 but now it's kaput I've got nothing to lose by having a bash at getting the old recordings off or maybe even fitting a new hard drive but the T2 is just new so I'm a bit scared to play around with it just yet until I see that it settles down OK.

Back